exercised til I puked!

Options
is that an accomplishment? Towards the end of my 60 minute cardio I lost it...but I finished the workout! Thought I was going to collapse in the shower too my legs were shaking so badly. Man, I'm beat!!!

Replies

• Mctree20
    Options
    Wondering how you work out the total calories lost after that :noway:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Moral of the story, exercise on an empty stomach! :laugh:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an accomplishment...
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    I have done it more than once. I have a tendency to push beyond my limits and it got the better of me on more than one occasion. Racing a mile race while having the flu did it... So riding extreme miles and climbs... Once after the gym (ruptured the bursa on both arms on that occasion as well)...

Not sure it is an accomplishment but it may show you do not know where your limits are and will likely set you back in terms of hitting peak performance.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It has only happened to me a couple of times and it can mean you had a good hard workout. It can also mean you are pushing yourself too far and can hurt yourself if that natural "you should stop" mechanism is not there. I did it last week in fact, but not like a full Exorcist level pea soup spray, just a little blowback in the throat. If it happened a lot I might worry. This one was on deadlifts, so I was a bit concerned I might have herniated something, but that passed.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    is that an accomplishment? Towards the end of my 60 minute cardio I lost it...but I finished the workout! Thought I was going to collapse in the shower too my legs were shaking so badly. Man, I'm beat!!!

The new trend in weight loss. lol

Better drink lots of water.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    What are you eating...before and after your workout. I personally don't think it's an accomplishment. I think it's a sign something isn't right. Either you pushed yourself too hard, or you pushed yourself too hard for the fuel you're giving your body. Did you drink any water during that hour long workout? How about before? You need to stay hydrated, as well as fueled.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What are you eating...before and after your workout. I personally don't think it's an accomplishment. I think it's a sign something isn't right. Either you pushed yourself too hard, or you pushed yourself too hard for the fuel you're giving your body. Did you drink any water during that hour long workout? How about before? You need to stay hydrated, as well as fueled.

Hydration doesn't happen during the workout. It happens in the hours and days before. The body has a very complex mechanism to maintain homeostasis and it does not require that you drink during exercise that lasts an hour.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Happened to me the first time last week in a 5K race. It was hot, humid and I pushed myself way too hard. Not an accomplishment, but a learning moment. Dont' push beyond my limit, or my body will rebel.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    No, that's not an accomplishment. Unless what you are trying to accomplish is damage to your body. In fact, that's a pretty silly thing to do to yourself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No, that's not an accomplishment. Unless what you are trying to accomplish is damage to your body. In fact, that's a pretty silly thing to do to yourself.

^^THIS

Next time, bring the intensity down or cut the time down or something. Post-workout barfing is not healthy.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel it coming on until it was too late. I was moving from pushups into mountain climbers when it happened. I had drunk some water probably 10 minutes before that (during the workout). Before the worout I had drunk 16 oz of hot water and lemon but I had not eaten yet for the morning. I workout, shower, and then eat. It is hotter this morning than usual. Maybe I should use a fan on warm days.

I certainly don't want to lose weight through throwing up. I did enough of that in high school. No fun!!!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Very unhealthy. You worked out too hard. Drink lots of water and eat some protein. Don't workout until you throw up anymore.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel it coming on until it was too late. I was moving from pushups into mountain climbers when it happened. I had drunk some water probably 10 minutes before that (during the workout). Before the worout I had drunk 16 oz of hot water and lemon but I had not eaten yet for the morning. I workout, shower, and then eat. It is hotter this morning than usual. Maybe I should use a fan on warm days.

I certainly don't want to lose weight through throwing up. I did enough of that in high school. No fun!!!

Usually the body induces vomiting based on something not being right... If you think about it, why would a living body force itself to reject the nutrients is just acquired? Vomiting may seem trivial, but it means that your body NEEDED it to happen based on some imbalance.

Try eating a little bit of carbs before a workout (granola bar size, if not a little more), as well as your water. When your blood sugar is low your body can get pretty unstable when under stress (exercise). I was initially going to suggest dehydration, because I can get suddenly intensely nauseous if I haven't been drinking enough water. Adrenaline is another substance that will induce vomiting, maybe that has something to do with it as well (nervous, excited about something, anger).

Please pay attention when your body does this, it is trying to tell you that you aren't doing something right or something is not right. You may not have long term effects from this one instance, but it is not something to be taken too lightly.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Not sure it is an accomplishment but it may show you do not know where your limits are and will likely set you back in terms of hitting peak performance.

definately showed me some limits today. No looking to do that again!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Don't stop at Krispy Kreme before the gym and have a few cigarettes before you go into the gym.. Puking is not good..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I used to think that exercise was the key to weight loss. but many time I would just hurt myself overworking my body and being heavy my joints suffered. I am a strong believer, after losing over 200 pounds, with isometrics and cutting my intake to 1/4. SplintDiet.com is what helped me get it right in my head....

Very classy......3 posts all pushing your web site?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    um . . . might need to re-evaluate what you're doing.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    You make Jillian Michaels proud.

Yea...puking is a bad thing...all that acid on your teeth and in your throat plus the loss of nutrients. The body pukes when there's something wrong with it to get rid of toxins and harmful things.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    That's just....gross. :sick: