Personal trainer, worth it?

Options
A little about me. I'm a mom of three and military wife so the stress of our life style has finally got to me. I admit it, I eat my feelings and my stress Thanks to MFP I'm on the right track with my eating habits. I've got an important physical task coming up in October that I would REALLY like to be prepared for, its my Black Belt test in TKD. So here's the question: Would 720.00 for 12 sessions with a personal trainer be worth it? I have no idea what the rate runs, or the over all general success. I would love to hear your opinions on this matter. Thanks in advance for your time! :happy:

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what the going rates for personal trainers is (and I'm sure there are huge regional variances......) but here's an article that suggests there are measurable differences in results observed between gym attendees and those using the services of a qualified trainer...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/will-i-get-a-better-workout-if-i-hire-a-personal-trainer/article4268225/
  • VinoFonseca
    VinoFonseca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ouch. That seems a lot. I pay $28/30 min so I hope you're getting an hour with that trainer.

That being said, I LOVE my trainer. I credit him with my success, Wish I had found him years ago.

Many gyms offer a complimentary trainer session. If you can, try out the trainer before you start paying.

Finding a good trainer is like finding a good partner. You might have to go through a few before you find a good match and match is important. I have a friend using a different trainer at the same gym and I know that I would never work as well for him as I do for my trainer - just different style and different personality.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the individual trainer and trainee. It would also depend on your specific goal\s. I personally have never used one and feel like I have done fine. Others might benefit from having one.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That's what I pay for 12 one hour sessions, one on one, in MN. My trainer introduced me to MFP, is a continual learner, and looks for what motivates each client. Personally, I need deadlines/goals, like running a 5K, to keep me going.

Most importantly, find someone who will focus on your individual goals and getting you there, not fitting you into their standard program.
  • mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you! very interesting. I guess it might be in my best interest since I do have a very specific goal in mind. And its something I can continue to use after the fact.
    I have no idea what the going rates for personal trainers is (and I'm sure there are huge regional variances......) but here's an article that suggests there are measurable differences in results observed between gym attendees and those using the services of a qualified trainer...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/will-i-get-a-better-workout-if-i-hire-a-personal-trainer/article4268225/
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I started to say, well, depends on where you live, but I see you're in MD so that seems high. I pay $50 for 50 minute sessions with my trainer in NoVA, and I am really happy with my results. I believe it's definitely a good idea if you've got a specific goal in mind and you can find a trainer who specializes in that goal; does your TKD teacher offer recommendations?
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think there is a lot of benefit to getting one if you are just learning your way around the gym. When I first joined the gym a few years ago, I did pay for a trainer and loved working with him. What he taught me about the basics of weight lifting has been super beneficial to me, but now that I am more knowledgeable in what to do in a gym, how to work out safely and effectively, I don't find the need for one. I am self motivated and don't need someone yelling at me for me to push my hardest. When I started working out again this time (ended up with a pretty big injury that put me out for a couple years and then I got lazy), I did meet with a trainer for a complimentary assessment and even he agreed that I did not need a trainer to reach the goals that I had put forth.
  • Culley34
    Options
    I would say that's about average (in terms of a price) for a personal trainer. I know where I live (Boston, MA), if you get one in the city, they can be $80-120, but others charge $40-50.

I had a client get a personal trainer and he lost 25 lbs. Granted, he needed to learn how to do exercises properly, and he liked the fact that someone was constantly over his shoulder pushing him to succeed. As far as I know - he's still using his PT and very satisfied with his results.

If you want the motivation and don't mind paying the money - I think they're generally a good investment. I would use one guy who played pro football for one off sessions when I was looking for a kick in the *kitten*. I did so many pushups in one sessoin that I needed to have my mom drive 30 minutes, pick me up, and then drive me to work because I couldn't extend my arms to use the steering wheel.
    A little about me. I'm a mom of three and military wife so the stress of our life style has finally got to me. I admit it, I eat my feelings and my stress Thanks to MFP I'm on the right track with my eating habits. I've got an important physical task coming up in October that I would REALLY like to be prepared for, its my Black Belt test in TKD. So here's the question: Would 720.00 for 12 sessions with a personal trainer be worth it? I have no idea what the rate runs, or the over all general success. I would love to hear your opinions on this matter. Thanks in advance for your time! :happy:
  • mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have thought to ask him! I'm glad that you mentioned that, thanks!
    I started to say, well, depends on where you live, but I see you're in MD so that seems high. I pay $50 for 50 minute sessions with my trainer in NoVA, and I am really happy with my results. I believe it's definitely a good idea if you've got a specific goal in mind and you can find a trainer who specializes in that goal; does your TKD teacher offer recommendations?
  • the3erwins
    the3erwins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I pay 45 dollars for one hour with my trainer. I meet with him twice a week. So totally worth it! He keeps me motivated.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My friend and I do joint training. We each pay $60 a month(total $120) for 4 30 minute sessions a month. My trainer and I have a love/hate relationship. He pushes me harder than I'd push myself if I exercised on my own. He pushes me through the pain, but at the same time understands my limits. If I could afford to do the trainer longer than my contract, I would.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A good personal trainer is absolutely worth the money.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I used to work out with a trainer and LOVED it. I couldn't skip workouts (at $45 a session hell no would I miss!) and it took the thinking out of it. When you have a specific goal, you can get their on your own, but you have to be committed to the planning. I liked that I could just show up, listen to him, and walk out. It's also a great way to learn new techniques, but the main thing about finding a trainer is making sure your personalities don't clash, and that they actually know what they are doing. They should be able to push you and motivate you to try harder than you would on your own, but not to the point where it's unhealthy. Make sure you actually meet the person before you fork over the cash. Also check out their refund policy so if you aren't happy with the trainer, you can get your money back for the unused sessions.
  • hristossida
    hristossida Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Personally the stuff a PT could teach you can learn it off YouTube. Usually a waste of money and they teach you some useless exercises. Stay away IMO!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you can afford it, it's worth it. If you are new to gyms and lifting you can get a lot of benefit without the trial and error that many of us went thru. I would suggest spacing it out tho. Go over your goals with him/her and have them design a routine for you. Then train with them once per week and two times per week go by yourself. Maybe the first week you train with them all three session and if you're comfortable with the routine you meet with him/her once per week for 9 more weeks.

Re: the price, I wouldn't put to much stock into what other people pay. Here in LA, I know people that pay more than that and people that pay less. Pricing is very regional. Trainers will also charge more or less based on how many certs they have earned. Another thing is that established trainers with a full book of clients will raise their prices thru the roof for new clients. The price was low to get started but new clients have to pay more because the trainers time if becoming more and more precious. A PT that's starting out may be more flexible with pricing while they try to get their biz off the ground.

edited to add: Remember, you're paying the trainer a lot of money, so make the most of this. The trainer will not be making your meals, and will not show up at night to slap the slice of pizza out of your hand. Lose weight by being disciplined with your diet, improve your body's shape with your trainer.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my personal trainer! LOVE HIM! I pay 450 for 11 one hour sessions. I go twice a week and have been for 2 years. Hello flat stomach :heart:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The price doesn't seem completely out there from what I'm used to (55$ for an hour or 30$ if I only see her every 6 weeks, yours works out to 60$ per session) however, the more I buy the cheaper it is. Is there a way you can buy just one session? Because if you don't like the trainer or their style then that would suck.

I love my trainer. I only see her every 4-6 weeks and she gives me a new routine and works on it with me. I love it because I don't really know my way around free weights so I have her to make sure I have proper form and that I'm doing things that will help me reach my goal.