Blackberries Low In Calories

Options
When I started dieting, I was surprised to find how many calories were in fruit - obviously because of the natural sugars, but back then I didn't know.

I recently looked up blackberries, and 75g of the tasty bad boys were only 32 calories!!

My question, quite simply, is are they for real? Just seems too good to be true...

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Had some with lunch today! They are for real!! They are kind of expensive (usually $2.99 for a cup, so 2 servings) but I still buy them every week if my store has them.
  • Jamtab
    Options
    Good to know, blackberry vines grow wild all over our property so we're up to our eyes in berries right now. There's always a Tupperware full on the bottom shelf of the fridge this time of year for my kids to grab whenever, I usually don't eat them but may start.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    most -berries have low calories and natural sugar content. Raspberries are my favorite hands down
  • fitsin10
    Options
    I love the berries, any berries and they are the best low glycemic fruit to eat, also low in cals.
  • treechic93
    treechic93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I pick quarts and quarts of them in the summer here because they grow wild and then freeze them in quart bags. I put a cup of frozen berries in my morning oatmeal and it thaws the berries and cools off the hot oatmeal. The berries taste very fresh that way! Yes, the calories are low but the natural sugars are still there so watch that if necessary. I do the same with raspberries in my oatmeal too- very yummy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They are for real. Delicious, nutritious and low in calories. Unfortunately for me, they are outrageously expensive in my area. :grumble:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Right now is the time for wild blackberries, too. I've been going out every day and picking, then freezing them.

They are so good, and I feel like a Superhero after eating them, with all the nutrients. Must. Go. Out. Now....
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Most berries are fairly low in calories. Raspberries are high in fiber, too! :happy:
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of berries of all types. Frozen berries make a great smoothie.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    oh i too am a berry queen....give me berries any time
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    they also are VERY high in fiber.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just so you all know I work for a fresh fruit company...

The frozen berries are cheap last forever and have exactly the same nutrients as fresh...

even better toss them in your home made smoothie and use less ice - add 1 scoop whey, 1/4 cup non fat greek yogurt and stevia mix it in a blender and you have the BEST desert you have had on a diet!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Had some with lunch today! They are for real!! They are kind of expensive (usually $2.99 for a cup, so 2 servings) but I still buy them every week if my store has them.

if you have a Costco membership you can get a large container for 5.99 - 7.99 depending on the season.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Good to know, blackberry vines grow wild all over our property so we're up to our eyes in berries right now. There's always a Tupperware full on the bottom shelf of the fridge this time of year for my kids to grab whenever, I usually don't eat them but may start.

OMG!! I would love to have Blackberry vines growing on my property!!!
  • georgie181
    Options
    I live in the UK and they grow wild everywhere, we also have other great berries growing wild such as black elderberries
  • po10c
    Options
    The darker the berry...the more good stuff it contains!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm very jealous of those that say they have berries growing wild. I love Blackberry everything.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If I eat them I swell up ...bummer to be allergic! Berries are your best choice for lower calorie and less carbs :))
  • happypath101
    Options
    They're usually high in fibre too. (I didn't look up blackberries, but I eat strawberries weekly and they're great for fibre). Knowlege is (yummy) power!!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    All berries are low calorie and low glycemic; apples and pears are also a great choice (oh for very low calorie fruit and low glycemic honey dew melon and cantaloupe)

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

http://www.catchfitness.com/Low_Glycemic_Foods_List