Frustrated

Options
I just need to vent! At the beginning of the year I was doing so well and I was happy with the way the weight was coming off. I shed 25 pounds and people were starting to comment on the weight loss.

Then on June 25th my wonderful amazing awesome grandma suddenly passed away and I feel like I have done nothing but eat since then. I know I am an emotional eater and I know I am still processing and dealing with her death (its a day to day struggle, I swear) and now I am so frustrated with myself for giving up so easily. I haven't weighed myself in forever, but I can tell by the way my clothes fit, that I have put most if not all of the weight back on. It took me 5 months to lose the weight and 2 months to put it all back on!!!

I just need some encouragement!!

Replies

• newvegangoddess
    newvegangoddess Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hi girl!
    don't worry! everyone has good and bad moments in life but we have to keep us strong and have a positive mind. You have to think that once you did it and you can do it again!

:)
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Try to find your solace, comfort and joy in other things than food, comfort yourself in other ways - I know, food is the easiest but it's not the best way.
    My deepest condolences on your loss my friend.
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    Don't worry about it! Other things are more important sometimes you need to deal with one thing at a time. It takes so much time to ease the pain of loosing a loved one. Once you are feeling more like your usual self then think about what you can do with your weight. Take one day at a time and as you start to feel stronger then go for your goal. Don't beat yourself up about it as it will just make you feel down take one day at a time (I know easier said than done!).
  • aquamarine78
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have been down the emotional eating road as well. When my mom was diagnosed with leukemia I think my whole family jumped into comfort foods and we all put on weight. You are going through a stressful time. Don't beat yourself up.
  • Roderunr
    Roderunr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just think how your beautiful grandma would want you to be happy and healthy before your next bad food choice. She wouldn't want you to be sad and lose your self-esteem because of her passing...she's with you, watching over you every day! :flowerforyou:

Be good to yourself! You can do it!! :heart:
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We all go through those times in our lives. Just get back on the wagon and keep going. I too am an emotional eater anythime I would get angry or mad I would eat. But now I stop and ask myself if I really want whatever it is I'm about to eat. Usually I don't end up eating, I go do something else to keep me busy. Good luck. You can get through this.
  • QuiltMama61
    Options
    Aw, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear grandma. Please don't beat yourself up. Yes, you've fallen off the wagon...now get up, dust yourself off, and climb back up there. You can do this! I am sure your grandma is smiling down on you and wishing you all the best. :-)
    Julie
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your Grandma :( it's tough to deal with something like that without using food as a comfort.

My advice to you at this point is to get on the scale, face it, and start working it back off. The process of working off that weight - meal planning, exercising, all that fun stuff - will help take your mind off things anyway. Personally I look forward to my toughest workouts as a break from listening to my brain and just pay attention to my body instead.

And I say weigh yourself, because I've done this before (who hasn't?) and it REALLY sucks when you work your butt off for a couple of weeks and THEN weigh yourself and compare it to your "before binging" weight and see that it's still slightly up or just barely down. If you're about to try to lose the weight again, you might as well look at the numbers so that you can see that your hard work is paying off, even if it means being mad at yourself to start with.
  • crystal3000
    Options
    Hello Im sorry for your lost truly. I can relate. I am an emotional eater as well so I know how hard it is. Really Focus on what you want, Focus on your health. You will have to push yourself a little to make yourself do and eat the right things but you will be glad you did. You have to walk out of your frustration and into happiness. Its not a fast process but we believe in you and know that you can do it. Giving up is not an option!!! :-) Have a wonderful day!!!
  • raynavarro
    Options
    Ditto to all below. Remember you are carrying your grandmother with you from now on. You are a living memorial to her and you are living for both of you now. And now you get healhty, and then down the road you get to be the awesome grandmother.
  • jailyn3
    jailyn3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just like it is a day to day struggle to deal with the loss of your grandmother, it is a day to day struggle to keep the weight off. Just take it one day at a time starting today. I teach college kids and some come to me with great personal struggles that are affecting their course work and I tell them not to add the stress of failing a class to the personal struggle. Throw the energy into course work and get some positive vibes going. The same can be said here. Good luck!
  • fola_olu
    fola_olu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you lost your wonderfully amazing awesome grandma.

Looks like you know the trigger for your backslide. Now you need to find another way to deal with the pain of the lose. Use this as a discoverable moment - how can you avoid emotional eating. Have you thought about therapy?

It is clear that you can make the required change. I mean in 5 months I am sure other things came up that triggered an eating episode or two - do not beat yourself up!!! You can take the weight off again!!! You just need a plan!!! Set/write out a few goals for the next 4 weeks ease back in to eating right and working out. If there are foods in your home that you are using to ease your pain throw them out!!!

Your clothes will fit again.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I am sorry for your loss. I was a basket case when my grandmother passed away. All the above posters are right on. Give yourself a break, brush off, step on the scale, and do it for grandma who would want you to be healthy. She does NOT want you joining her soon because you destroyed your health! Hang in there. As my grandmother used to say, "this too shall pass!" Your grief will ease. Never go away, but ease.
  • cmorgan35
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss.

I had never dieted or exercised before and when I started earlier this summer, I lost 10 lbs pretty easily. I could see a difference in my face and felt a difference in the way my clothes fit.

Then, my nephew passed away in a motorcycle accident and I couldn't muster up enough motivation to get back to the gym. And I ate the same old bad stuff I used to eat. I am also still grieving and that was my reason why I stopped exercising. I simply didn't have motivation to do anything.

I have only gained back three lbs, and I just started this week going back to the gym. My motivation has been remembering how good I felt at hitting that 10 lb. mark for the first time. I want to feel the same way when I hit the 20 lb mark, then the 30 lb mark.

I get angry sometimes and find that when I go to the gym and get on a spin bike, I ride even harder. It helps me vent my anger.

Im sure your grandma woudln't want to be the reason that you stopped losing and weight and are now feeling bad about your self. Let her be your motivation.

Remember how GOOD it felt to have lost 25 lbs in 5 months! That is very good and I am sure you felt alot better about yourself.

You can do it again :-)
  • jktjcca
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss! I recently did the same thing. Worked months to lose, and then in a matter of weeks gained it all back plus some. I hope you find your motivation, we are all here to help you-
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Sorry to hear it! And don't beat yourself up - you were grieving, and all that you can do about that now is forgive yourself and look forward! Get back into it when you're ready and don't dwell on it.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    skull.jpg
  • ashemoran
    ashemoran Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I truly mean that. I feel better now. I really just needed to vent and let it all out. Onward and upward!! :smile:
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all below. Remember you are carrying your grandmother with you from now on. You are a living memorial to her and you are living for both of you now. And now you get healhty, and then down the road you get to be the awesome grandmother.

i thought that was a lovely post.....hope the OP reads that one .....twice. so many lovely replies, from everyone.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am soo sorry!!! I can relate in some ways. It is tough!! Do you have friends that are there cheering you on? If not, get some MFP help to cheer you on! I know that has made me feel better tonight.