This question is for the ladies

Options
I have heard several different trains of thought on exercising during menstruation. Personally, I don't like to because I feel tired, weak, have cramps, back pain and just feel overall nasty. I like to think of this time as a rest period (pun not intended) for my body. Thoughts?

Replies

• janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It's entirely personal.
    Menstruation isn't an illness or ailment but I understand that some women suffer more with pain, bloating, mood swings etc so may not feel in the mood to exercise but I really can't see that it would do anyone any harm.
    I exercise regardless of what TOM it is but I'm quite lucky in that I only get cramps for the 1st day or 2 but never strong enough to keep me down.
    In a nutshell, there's no right or wrong, just do what you feel is best for yourself.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I stick with my exercise schedule (as much as I would any other time, anyway.)

Honestly, if your periods are bad enough that they impact your usual routine, I'd talk to your doctor about them. Mine used to be terrible and would put me completely out of commission for a day at least every other month. I got on the right birth control and it's ♪♫ a whole new wooooorld...♫♪
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I always exercise during my period. If I feel particularly awful I will just take it a bit easier. I usually feel better afterwards, it helps with the cramps and bloating and irritability!
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I always exercise the same, makes me feel better that week actually.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You know what, on the weekend I read that certain parts of the cycle might incline us to greater injury risk! Links at that topic:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/742202-menstrual-cycle-related-to-injury-risk-what-the-what

We may have:

- Poorer motor control during menstruation
    - Increased ligament/tendon laxity & impaired muscle recovery (during ovulation), thanks to estrogen & other hormones

I am often amazed (and sometimes annoyed) by the things our bodies do behind our backs.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    Options
    Exercise always makes me feel better during my period. Exercise has been proven to help with cramps, and it always helps me energy and my mood. If I took off a week a month I'd be taking off 3 months over the year, definitely not worth it for me.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I exercise but I go easy on myself. If I feel like working harder then I do. Depending on the day of the cycle, sometimes it makes me feel better, but at the beginning..not a chance!

I also do not weigh myself that week. I just know better~:)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise while on my cycle....I think its a normal occurrence..just like I exercise if I have a headache..its life..and I move on..
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I usually take 2 days off when it's heavy, other than that I am good to go.
  • Nufraser
    Nufraser Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I still exercise because for me I have noticed that I don't get cramps. I sometimes still take a midol but that is for irritability and I attribute it to the hormone imbalance.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Peronally, there are at least 2 days out of my "cycle" each mos that I'm certain that I would NOT do ANYTHING; however, I think it depends on each individual. Most ppl can atleast "walk"--you know what your body can handle and what it can't; I would say just listen to your body.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    There is no MEDICAL reason for a woman with normal periods to not exercise and most women will notice it helps with period symptoms. My PMS is WAY better and my cramps are nearly non-existent when I work out, so I never take a day off.

I've had some serious lady problems in the past, though, and as has been said....if your work outs are impacted by your period, for whatever reason, you might want to have that checked out.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    All materials I have read have pointed to one answer, yes you still need to be active. You might not strength train but you need to go on a walk. Exercise helps the body handle menstration as well as drinking plenty of water. I know it might suck but it does help energize the body and take some of that feeling away. I will be on day one of menstruation and I will still make it to my zumba classes because I know my body feels better afterwords.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i hear this as an excuse all the time..."i got my monthlys so i cant exercise!"....why the heck not?????

most women get some bloating, cramps, back pain etc but most reseach supports that getting some kind of physical activity can actually help with these symptoms....

i workout six days a week, every week...no excuses...i may not get in my best workouts for those few days but i will continue to workout...

i also know not to really take notice of the scale during this time as my weight can fluctuate upwards of 5lbs...
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Totally personal interpretation. It's going to REALLY depend on your age range, body type and health, and mental place in your life.

Teenagers and women who've never had kids are likely going to have more intense periods physically, because of the different hormone levels, and it's harder to exercise. I know when I was a teenager, I had cramps so bad I couldn't even get out of bed, even though I wanted to. I literally COULDN'T exercise because I couldn't even walk.

Now that I've had a child, they're much easier physically, but I'm much more exhausted mentally, and have to really work to get the energy up to just get into the workout. I know that when I don't exercise during my period, though, I really feel like crap. If I exercise, I still feel not-so-great, and I'm still tired and all that , but I feel less like crap and less tired than I would if I didn't work up a sweat and get my blood going.

Really, there's no physical reason why the average women shouldn't work out during their period, but just because there isn't, doesn't mean that some women don't need more of a mental break during that time than other people. If you feel like that break is good for you, don't worry about it.
  • mrsbrightside4
    Options
    I feel more lazy during that time, but I still try to go. The more I lose, the better I feel.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to my schedule. That being said, I get really bad ones sometimes and have literally can't do anything (mostly in bed and have even had to call out of work). When that happens I take it easy, drink lots of water and when it lightens back up I go right back to my routine. I try not to let it slow me down too much.

If I'm just crampy or irritable I make myself exercise because it does help with those symptoms.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I`m just saying, there`s some research that suggests there`s a small but significant increase in ACL injuries among female athletes at certain times of the month.

I did NOT enjoy reading that, btw. But for eg the injury prone, like myself, it`s nice to be forewarned.

The advice is to watch form and reduce intensity, not cut exercise out completely.

eta: I`m a feminist, and hate the idea of any kind of limitation by virtue of gender or sex on anything I do. But our bodies are different in some ways, and it seems sensible to take precautions if/when warranted. Eg we burn slightly more calories on menstruation, because our bodies are doing extra things. Seems reasonable to respect that, and fatigue, etc, who knows what's behind it. We're learning more and more about the body (esp re hormones, endocrinology is whack/amazing) all the time.

Will say that exercising regularly has reduced menstruation related pains for me.
  • lunars
    Options
    I have started to take it as a rest period, learned this in yoga. Apparently inversions are bad for your flow. I also surf before or after work (prime feeding time), so for that reason I've been slowing down during my period. I'm pretty active so I use this as a time to clean house, catch up with friends, everything I'm usually too busy for.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I wil work out but I stick to low impact, i.e. stationary bike.