Where does the fat actually go?

Options

Replies

• janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think it goes to all the all the people who eat at fast food chains :bigsmile:

or as I've told people when they have lost weight, "Oops, I think I found it and it's one me":sad:
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Fat cells are like balloons, they fill up with fatty acids. When you're in a calorie deficit and more energy is needed, the fatty acids are released from the fat cell balloons, and the fatty acids are converted to energy- 9 kilocalories worth of energy per gram of fat.

Most people have a set number of fat cells for the rest of their lives after they've gone through puberty, whether they're inflated balloons or deflated balloons. In cases of obesity, when all of the fat cells reach maximum capacity, the cells can actually divide and create new fat cells, that you're then stuck with for the rest of your life. I wasn't aware of the debate about fat cells dying out that GeekyJock mentioned, but there's new discoveries in medicine all the time so I suppose it's always possible that these things can change, but the generally accepted rule is that once you've got fat cells, you've got them. So they don't really "go" anywhere, they just deflate and the fatty acids are used for energy.

:huh: Crap now I know I have double fat cells!! They may be getting smaller but I still have double!! :sad:
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    :smile: once it fills my shirt up it leaks out on the floor and makes a big mess, at least that's what I tell myself to get thru my work out.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    sigh. stupid link didn't work. :/
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You pee it out.
  • Just a random thing that popped in my head... does it come off purely as sweat.. is it pushed out through our bowels, should I be spitting more? LOL

I think the fat goes to "fat haven".
  • Cbarrese86
    Options
    Your body turns the fat into Ketone bodies. Ketone bodies are three water-soluble compounds that are produced as by-products when fatty acids are broken down for energy in the liver. Two of the three are used as a source of energy in the heart and brain while the third is a waste product excreted from the body. In the brain, they are a vital source of energy during fasting. Although termed "bodies", they are dissolved substances, not particles.

Ketones are mostly excreted in the urine. You can go to Walmart and buy Ketone strips to see exactly how much fat you are excreting, and they aren't that expensive... about $6.00. You can find them in the diabetic section. Hope this helps :)
  • I think when you get your hair cut, it falls to the floor and gets swept into the trash. I'm waiting to have some really thick fat hair. HAHA
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ever pound of mine goes onto the *kitten* of Michelle
    Laird (A nasty witch who bullied me all through
    school). That's what I like to think. :laugh:
    Nicola xxx
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It follows me around and bites me on the *kitten* when I fall off the healthy eating wagon.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    sperm
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    You pee it out.

Exactly. This has been covered before.
    well you can stay at maintainance at burn 500 cals a day n you will lose a pound every week. 2nd ques when you are burning fat look for when thing when you go to toilet to pee you will notice something white in your pee is like chicken fat thats how some of your fat comes out n some as a sweat. because when i did a diet few years back when the white thing came in pee i got scared that its something serious but found out its nothing just fat so a doctor knows...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Just a random thing that popped in my head... does it come off purely as sweat.. is it pushed out through our bowels, should I be spitting more? LOL

ok, I am clearly ADHD... I read the title. Then read the body of the text. And thought... Does WHAT come off as sweat? What is "it"? Spitting? HUH?

Then I re-read the title.

Oh... FAT...

*SQUIRREL*

Interesting answers though... thanks for the post!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    You pee it out.

this.

also, there is poo
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    There is a cosmetic procedure that involves freezing fat cells, which are then eliminated through urine. But for the most part, fat cells shrink as the body uses the fuel stored in them. And they expand when not used.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It's used up as energy and gives off heat, sweat and carbon dioxide
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Most simply stated, it is released as heat. You lose about 90% of all the energy you consume in the form of heat, and since nothing on our planet can eat heat, it is said to be "lost" to the trophic system (but not to the universe.)

When you eat food, 10% of it is stored (fat and body tissues that can be consumed by other organisms or used by your own body) and 90% flies off into the atmosphere. This is especially true of mammals who have to maintain their body heat as part of their homeostasis.

It's like a fire. A fire is an ionized gas or a plasma (blah, blah, blah) but what you are actually seeing and feeling is the release of the energy stored in the plant tissue (the wood.)

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

It does not come out in excrement. Unless you are talking about excess fat in the food that you ate.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You pee it out.

No you don't. You pee out Ammonia, which is cycled back into the nitrogen cycle into bacteria which break it down into nitrates which plants can use and they break it into other compounds which can be utilized by animals.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Not to my flat *kitten*, that's for sure. :grumble:

:laugh: :laugh: this was great
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Fat Head. The movie.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879