I need healthy breakfast ideas

Options
I'm hungry in the mornings and I struggle to find something to eat. I hate eggs peppers and cheese. Most cereals have way too many calories for someone trying to keep around 1200. I need some ideas!

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I get to work at 7:30am. I have a low sugar instant oatmeal (120 cals) at around 8:30, and then a banana at 10:30 and I'm good til lunch at 12:30pm. Sometimes instead of the oatmeal I'll have a Luna bar.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese mixed with fruit and a sprinkle of nuts
    Greek yogurt with a little cereal mixed in for texture and some fruit
    Smoothies (fruits, veggies, yogurt or milk, protein powder)
    Pancakes (lots of interesting low cal/high protein recipes out there)
    Homemade french toast (you can get the eggs in without actually tasting them)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Steal cut oatmeal and greek yogurt really works for me. (Oh, and black coffee)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    This morning after my work out, I had a left over turkey burger patty...no bun...no nothing else. It kept me full until lunch. Not what I normally would have had...but it worked
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    EAt something you like. Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast food." But, what I like is:

Nature's path instant oatmeal
    English muffin and ham sandwich
    Turkey bacon
    Vegetarian sausage made by Morning star farms.
    fruit spread with peanut or almond butter
    Toaster waffle spread with nut butter
    cottage cheese and fruit
    turkey sandwich
    bagel thin with some kind of protien (nut butter, turkey bacon, ham, etc.)

Just make sure you get some protein, some complex carbs like whole grain, Fruit or vegetables are a way to get some bulk without lots of calories.

Just some ideas.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter sandwich
    Oatmeal with berries and/or nuts
    A protein shake
    Fresh vegetable juices
    Some fruit and hummus
    Fruit and nut butter
    Oatmeal pancakes
    Home made whole wheat muffins

I prefer eggs and cheese for breakfast though.

God how can you be out of ideas when it comes to breakfast?
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal. My blend is:

1/4 cup dry steel cut oats
    1/4 cup 2% organic milk
    1/2 cup nonfat vanilla greek-style yogurt
    1 tbsp. chia seeds

With about 1/4 cup fruit, or sometimes plain. Mix, leave in refrigerator overnight. Voila!

I eat it about 9:30, I'm full until 1:00.
  • cal_73
    Options
    1/2 cup Fiber one original cereal, 120g cottage cheese, 1 banana, 1 cup milk = ~485 calories
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a protein bar and yougurt during the week and a piece of fruit mid morning

During the weekend I might have oatmeal and a slice of toast
  • mkcreek
    Options
    I have a banana, cereal and almond milk (try it, it is delicious and only 30 calories a cup) OR a fruit/granola yogurt, or I treat myself to either an Egg McMuffin without cheese (250) or a Starbuck's egg white/feta wrap for 280. All satisfy me until lunch. I also try to stay around 1200 - 1300 calories a day, and these all work for me. The other thing I have sometimes is a protein bar, but only if I'm in a hurry.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt with berries and a hint of honey? This is usually filling me until later afternoon.
    Too bad you don't like eggs. To me they are the best food choice for breakfasts. :)
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    We eat lots of porridge in UK I think you call it steel cut oats

30g oats mixed with half a mug of water and microwave for 2 mins stir, then micro another 1-2 mins (covered or it may boil over =mess)

serve with choice of sugar/honey (one teaspoon) and chpped banana or berries if you want even less cals plus 1 tsp mixed seeds

Pour on cows or soya milk from daily allowance.
    Comes in round about 200 cals
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Greek yogurt with blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, 1 Tbsp granola or

Quaker Oatmeal to go bars or

2 strips bacon, 1 slice wheat toast, grapefruit
  • dedicationANDdumbbells
    Options
    I am not big on eggs either. I can only "stomach' hard boiled eggs. I recently came across "refrigerator oatmel" similar to the recipe that "laylaness" posted. I use museli instead of steel cut oats sometimesand toss in blueberries. When I am not having oatimeal, I go with a protein shake. :0) Good luck.
  • titanium96
    titanium96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Depends. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so a few calories in the morning will help refuel you. I have one weetbix, 3 tablespoons of pysillium husk and a tablespoon of chia seeds with lite soy milk. I find it fills me up andthe pysillium is the best source of natural fibre you can find. It comes in at 243 calories.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Carolina whole steel roled oats for oatmeal. 1 cup fills you up, can also add blueberries and strawbeeries to it. takes 5 minutes to make. Beter with 1/2 water and 1/2 almond milk!

I also make sweet potato home fries with mushrroms, zucchini and mushrooms. All fried in 2 tblsp of peanut oil. add some garlic for tates too
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    oatmeal/chopped up banana

special k cereals aren't horribly caloried(not a word, lol) w/ banana or strawberry (fresh)

morningstar southwestern black-bean patty (so good)

eggo waffles

or eat something that's not a typical breakfast food, what makes you happy, get the calories in you need
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make Alton Brown's protein bars: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe/index.html

I cut them into 10-12 bars and wrap them up and put them in the fridge. If you like, you can warm them in the microwave and they taste more like a muffin or something.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Blueberry pancakes and a side of bacon
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have coffee with heavy whipping cream and coconut oil, bacon, and sometimes eggs. About 300 caloires.

I eat no grains (wheat, corn, oats, barley, etc.) ever, because I believe lower carb is healthier. And, lets face it they do have a waste of calories and leave you hungry a few hours later.

Higher fats (and the good ones) will satisfy you, give you energy for longer. I did the research and it worked for me.