Fruits & Veggies

Options
Hi
I have seen a few posts on here where people state they don't "count" Fruits and veggies. I know that is the case with weight watchers, but wondering if anyone does that with MFP? I eat a ton of fruits and veggies so I feel I should "count them"

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You should count fruits and veggies.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i definitely count them.... half of my calories are fruits and veggies.... if i didnt count them, i would defenitely gain weight....

i'd also eat 6 bananas in one sitting if they "didnt count".... cant tell me 600+ calories dont add up....fruit or not ;)
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I count *everything* that goes in my mouth with the exception of vitamins I take or any medication I may need for whatever reason.

I am not sure if that is right or wrong...but to me a calorie is a calorie. Now what I don't worry about is sugar from fresh fruit...that may not be right either but for now Im not worrying about it. LOL.

I don't make a lot of sense do I? LOL.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I personally log them on here. Generally, though, I don't feel they matter as much to log because it's all good for you. Then again...I don't eat fruit and veggies in mass quantities each day. I think maybe it's a personal preference unless someone is really watching sugar or something like that.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW. I count them, but since they tend to be really filling it doesn't take much "calorie-wise" to pack a punch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You bet, they have calories! You could easily consume several hundred calories per day from fruit.

Weight Watchers point system is something incomprehensible to me but I suspect they're also motivated ($$$) to keep you coming back for years & years.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    of course count your fruits and veggies ! they are full of carbs, sugar and even protein ... of course they are good for you but in moderation like everything else... if i didnt log them i would be under 200 cals a day O,o can you imagine
  • emnk5308
    Options
    I count *everything* that goes in my mouth with the exception of vitamins I take or any medication I may need for whatever reason.

I am not sure if that is right or wrong...but to me a calorie is a calorie. Now what I don't worry about is sugar from fresh fruit...that may not be right either but for now Im not worrying about it. LOL.

I don't make a lot of sense do I? LOL.

This makes sense to me! =p I don't panic if I go over sugar (I stopped following it at all) if I had a banana and 2 apples. =)
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Count them. Fruit has a lot of carbs coming from sugar. Veggies may not be counted though. They are mostly fiber so your net carbs will be very low unless you eat toooons of veggies. I am usually not bothered to count green leafy veggies like spinach, lettuce, parsley etc.
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep count them because fruit in particular can carry a lot of calories - an apple's not far off 100. I find veges don't carry many but if you're trying to stick to your target and you eat several veges a day, they can tip you over your goal.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruits and veggies so yes I count them. I've never heard anyone say they didn't honestly.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I count fruit and veggies. I think like most people have already said if I didn't log them then I wouldn't be logging much else on some days. :)
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies definitely add up. It does not make any sense to not count them. They most certainly are not calorie free - especially a banana. Not the first time I don't know what WW must be thinking. They may be compensating elsewhere in their "points," but why not just call a calorie a calorie.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i log them, but don't worry if i go over a bit due to them.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I count them. As a poster above said, a calorie is a calorie, and for me seeing that I have eaten within 100 cals of my daily limit, which includes all fruit and veggies, makes me think twice about eating some ice cream at the end of the night.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've done Weight Watchers and the system is a little different than MFP. I count fruits and veggies. A lot of people don't worry about the sugar with it. I personally only watch my added sugar.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Would be crazy to not count them.... X
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't count fruit and vegetables except bananas and potatoes (white & sweet) but I do count the stuff I add to them. I'm in maintenance mode now ... and have been for the last 14 years so I'm not trying to lose weight. Just healthy and accountable. If I'm hungry enough, I'll eat 2 apples or an entire plate of veggies but I normally just have normal sized portions. I'm not a professional but in my opinion, I'm not going to gain weight by eating a few extra apples or ten extra carrot sticks :)
  • Melodymunchkin
    Melodymunchkin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    think you make a lot of sense and would like to add you to my friends list
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I count everything that I eat....fruit and vegetables make up over 1/2 of what I eat some days. If I didn't count them I would have no idea how many calories I was consuming on any given day and don't think this would have worked as well for me. WW has its own way of counting things and it works if you follow their plan, MFP uses calorie counting so you really should count everything you consume if you want it to work. I don't log my black coffee or my MIO simply because they have zero calories.