Communication: What is acceptable?

Options
The submitter asks:
What is an acceptable amount of communication during the business day from your spouse or significant other?
What is too much is there a set amount that is too much or too little?

Communication would include phones calls, emails, text messages, instant messages.

Do you have contact with your spouse or significant other?
What would be considered excessive?

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Nothing would be too excessive in my situation. Or maybe I'm excessive? Don't know.. not really worried about it.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    depends on the couple. I have folks I work with that are texting or calling 8-10 times a day.

When working I hear from my SO about 8-10 a year during business hours. Not due to funky work rules or any thing, we just preferred to talk in person.

Teh real question: Is your SO or you communicating too much for the other one during work. (and I don't mean "you" you, but the generic you)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I chat on gchat throughout the day if we're both online. If I'm in meetings, nope. *shrugs*
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    When you get a text/email/IM from them and you go "JFC. WHY IS SHE/HE TEXTING/CALLING/IMing/EMAILING ME AGAIN!?!?"

Maybe it's too much.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    wait.. married couples talk during the day and at night?

:befuddled:
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One text in the morning (we don't live together yet) & sometimes one during the day to say we are thinking of each other. He is a carpenter so unless its important we don't talk until after I get off work.

I think it's too much when I roll my eyes because my phone is going off again. Jesh! Gimme time to miss you.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My husband and I generally have no communication during the day unless there's a question about dinner or I'm going shopping after work and asking him if he needs anything. We're at work, so we put all our focus where it belongs. We see each other at home evenings and weekends and that works for us. It doesn't mean we're not thinking about each other or wondering how each other's day is going. We've been together 16 years.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    We both work from home, so we have more communication than most -- pretty much constant unless one of us leaves to go somewhere. It works for us :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if one of you are at work...work! If you are out and about then anything goes. Before my guy and I moved in together and were working opposite schedules we would text 1-2 times a day on breaks and chat online or talk on the phone when we were both off work. Since we moved in together it is rare that we text or talk during work hours. It drives both of us nuts when someone has to constantly answer texts or calls from a SO, spouse or kids. Neither of us wants to be "that guy".
  • unJunk
    Options
    When you get a text/email/IM from them and you go "JFC. WHY IS SHE/HE TEXTING/CALLING/IMing/EMAILING ME AGAIN!?!?"

Maybe it's too much.

Yes I think this is what the submitter is experiencing. So much so that they really have nothing to discuss about their day when they get home.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    *shrug* We text and gchat each other all day...
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    An acceptable amount is no more than 3 emails/texts and no more than 1 phone call per day. Excluding follow up calls. Anymore can wait until after work.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    One text in the morning because he gets up really early and leaves for work before I'm even up. Then usually a text to let me know what time he'll be home that day. That's usually it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    We don't call each other at work unless it's an emergency.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    We usually text off and on during the day. Some days not just because we are busy.

As for calling, we have a rule - if we can answer, we will. If not, it means we are busy. The caller should call back immediately if the first call isn't answered if it is a true emergency.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    NONE during the day unless there's something urgent, i.e. "please can you pick up the kids' medicine at the pharmacy on your way home."

They pay me to work at work, not text with my friends or husband. Some of my coworkers' constantly buzzing phones are really distracting.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We usually have a dozen or so texts back and forth. I like to check in in the AM and see how momma and the baby are doing. Make sure the little guy isn't driving her to nutsy.
  • spikefoot
    Options
    If you asked this question 20 years ago the answer would be entirely different.

Depends primarily on the job as far as I am concerned. Also, your relationship should be at a point that it isn't measured at all by the frequency of communication when you are busy with other stuff.
  • opikelis
    Options
    both my spouse and i are way too busy at work to have time to talk to each. i call or text way when i am on my home. I think anything over 3 times a day is too much. Focus on work. If you have time to talk/text/chat that much i would worry about job security.