Fitness Advice M-F... I got it! So ask Questions :)

Options

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • My advice is do the workouts first thing in the morning. I know it is SUPER hard but nothing will ever get in the way...well besides sleeping in.

I too work full time, coach, go to school part time and am training for a full marathon. If I don't get up at 4:30 to workout... I WILL NOT workout. I get tired from the day and the stress of life. So I have to workout when I am fresh. Also-I have a txt buddy. What does this mean. Well she workouts out early too-She txt me every morning and wishes me a good workout. Super easy to do and it keeps me accountable.

Switch up the video's :)
  • Hello,
    I have lost eight pounds so far, and to reach my goal weight I need to lose 27 more (from 162 to 135) I have done it before so I know it can be done, but this time is much harder. I have three different rountines that I do, The thirty day shred, hip hop abs and the newest Melt it off. Sometimes I am just so exhausted from the day (I work full time and go to school full time) that I don't even want to work out. Is there something else that I need to be doing to keep myself motivated? I mean I feel a lot better afterwards its just getting started that I have a problem with. Also, is it a good idea to switch up every day between those three work outs?

My advice is do the workouts first thing in the morning. I know it is SUPER hard but nothing will ever get in the way...well besides sleeping in.

I too work full time, coach, go to school part time and am training for a full marathon. If I don't get up at 4:30 to workout... I WILL NOT workout. I get tired from the day and the stress of life. So I have to workout when I am fresh. Also-I have a txt buddy. What does this mean. Well she workouts out early too-She txt me every morning and wishes me a good workout. Super easy to do and it keeps me accountable.

• So nice of you! Really! (I am 50, need to lose 20 pounds from 152 pounds (better if I lose 25).

I am just starting to track calories and work on cardio more regularly.

SHOULD I ALSO LOOK UP, ONLINE, SOME WEIGHT EXERCISES? I JUST SAW A VIDEO ON ARMS ON THE LIVESTRONG.COM WEBSITE?

When, in the "new to weight loss and adding exercise stage" do we start to add strength training? and how much/often to start with?

It is NEVER to soon to start lifting. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is start right away. It not only keeps your bones safe, helps speed up metabolism and muscles LOOK awesome on EVERYONE. I can give you advice at home video's if you want them.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I will look at this later on...

I eat close to 2000 calories a day but I workout like a machine and am training for a marathon.

It also can be the kinds of foods you are eating!

Ok...no problemo....And thank you so much!... I have been feeling pretty low for a while now...but tomorrow I start afresh!... Will keep doing what I do for now... :) Thank you for doing this! such an awesome help for everyone!
  • I am an (almost) 28 yr old female with RA...any exercises that are friendly on the joints? I walk a mile to 2 miles a day now, but it's starting to get easy. Need something a little more challenging, but not so much that I feel like dying afterwards. (I'm sore enough at the end of the day as it is cause of this stupid disease.)

Thanks!

Stef :)

First of all girl.. YOU ARE Rocking it!! What about pool walking or running? Easy on the joints and a super awesome workout. You get the resistance without weights and the cardio all in one. Do you have pool access?
  • sdonovan96
    sdonovan96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The pool was my best friend when I was pregnant with my last son (who will be 2 on Saturday:) I had a dislocated pelvis my entire pregnancy with him and the only way I got any relief was to get in the pool. I never really thought of it as a way to exercise...but I definitely will try it!

Thanks!! :)
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I will look at this later on...

I eat close to 2000 calories a day but I workout like a machine and am training for a marathon.

It also can be the kinds of foods you are eating!

Guessing that this was regarding my post - you can call me Rick. I also have the goal of running a marathon and hope to shred a pile of weight before starting road work. I don't mind working like a machine and am ramping it up but don't want to hurt myself.
  • The pool was my best friend when I was pregnant with my last son (who will be 2 on Saturday:) I had a dislocated pelvis my entire pregnancy with him and the only way I got any relief was to get in the pool. I never really thought of it as a way to exercise...but I definitely will try it!

Thanks!! :)

The goal is to go as quick as you can! If the pool has a water belt even better... put it on and go to the deep in. Run without even touching the bottom of the pool. Burns way more calories than doing it on land!
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • KetchikanLadyDi
    KetchikanLadyDi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My advice is do the workouts first thing in the morning. I know it is SUPER hard but nothing will ever get in the way...well besides sleeping in.

I so agree with you! My alarm goes off at 4:45 - 6 days a week. I am running 4 to 6 miles a day, depending on how my body is feeling. I am new to running and it has taken up some time to get my distance up to this level. One day, I would love to do a half and work up to a full - but shhhh that's a secret. I have yet to add weight lifting, and not that I am scared of it, I guess I don't want to take away from the running...but I know from my plateau that I HAVE to.

Here is my question (finally): Is it okay to do upper body weights and abs only? I think that with all of the running my lower body is getting a lot of benefit from that, and I fear being too sore to run the following day. What are your thoughts?

Thank you!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear the at home weight lifting like with small 3-5 pds. I walk 10 miles a day and get outside on the weekends. Eat nice and clean and dont drink. I am only at 1200 cals, I have lost enough weight, now time to tone! I dont like to do alot of jumping around and such, Im not lazy but I dont care for it. I think I need to up my cals too.

Honestly this is all sooooooooooooo hard to figure out. What to do, not to do etc.! I have been doing the JM 30ay shred, but need ideas of what else I can add. ;)

I lost ALL my boobs, butt and am always cold these days - its kind of funny! I think, OK whats next!
  • My advice is do the workouts first thing in the morning. I know it is SUPER hard but nothing will ever get in the way...well besides sleeping in.

I so agree with you! My alarm goes off at 4:45 - 6 days a week. I am running 4 to 6 miles a day, depending on how my body is feeling. I am new to running and it has taken up some time to get my distance up to this level. One day, I would love to do a half and work up to a full - but shhhh that's a secret. I have yet to add weight lifting, and not that I am scared of it, I guess I don't want to take away from the running...but I know from my plateau that I HAVE to.

Here is my question (finally): Is it okay to do upper body weights and abs only? I think that with all of the running my lower body is getting a lot of benefit from that, and I fear being too sore to run the following day. What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Way to get in those workouts so early! Feels great right!! :)

Please tell me you are not running 6 days a week?? I am training for a marathon and I don't even run 6 days a week...4 at the most. I weight train every single week-4 days to be exact. I do lift a lot more for upper body and abs... but the program that I am doing does have some combo workouts such as squat with a bicep curl. Since, I can't lift super heavy with my biceps means I am not lifting heavy for that squat either. It is giving my legs a workout but keeping the weight low enough that I am not struggling with the runs...

But yes--that is a great idea.
  • KetchikanLadyDi
    Options
    Great information, thank you! I will keep that in mind with weights.

Sadly, yes, I do run 6 days a week. I am up to 73 miles for the month of September, so far. But, I do not hurt. I live in Alaska where the weather is wet. Most of my miles are on a treadmill, so it is forgiving. Only 1 day a week (maybe if the weather cooperates, is outside). So, I guess by your response, that I should drop a run or two a week and hit a bike? I like my cardio to be at least 55 minutes, since I hear that to burn fat stores you need at least 45 minutes? True?
  • Great information, thank you! I will keep that in mind with weights.

Sadly, yes, I do run 6 days a week. I am up to 73 miles for the month of September, so far. But, I do not hurt. I live in Alaska where the weather is wet. Most of my miles are on a treadmill, so it is forgiving. Only 1 day a week (maybe if the weather cooperates, is outside). So, I guess by your response, that I should drop a run or two a week and hit a bike? I like my cardio to be at least 55 minutes, since I hear that to burn fat stores you need at least 45 minutes? True?

Yes.. drop at least one to two runs a week. Running that many days is not good on the joints-PLUS you want your body to recover. If you continue this up you will end up injured believe me. Bike is a great idea :)

If you give in 30 minutes of HARD cardio that works too... it is all about your heart rate!
  • KetchikanLadyDi
    Options
    Great information, thank you! I will keep that in mind with weights.

Yes.. drop at least one to two runs a week. Running that many days is not good on the joints-PLUS you want your body to recover. If you continue this up you will end up injured believe me. Bike is a great idea :)

If you give in 30 minutes of HARD cardio that works too... it is all about your heart rate!

Thanks so much for all of your insight! I sincerely appreciate it. Mind if I add you as a friend so I can occasionally pick your brain?
    Diane
  • Dandawa
    Options
    Question
    39 yr
    205 lbs, 5 ft 6 inch
    I lost 17 lbs since aug 1
    Eat 1200.cal
    working out hard
    last week i increased my workout intensity incuding some weight
    Jillian m ripped n ellptic
    i expected huge results this week for last weeks sweat n dedication
    i eat clean, sleep, lots i never ate over 1300 did not eat back
    No weigjt loss this week. im scared it could happen again
    m i over working for calories
    i need to loss another 40 @least. i was wondering if i should up calories to say 1444 what do u think?
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for offering.

My question is: I have a pinched nerve in my right forearm that is taking forever to heal. How do I do any upper body weight training when it kills me to lift anything?
  • Thank you for offering.

My question is: I have a pinched nerve in my right forearm that is taking forever to heal. How do I do any upper body weight training when it kills me to lift anything?

This is Tough.. Have you gone to the doctor. I don't know if you can do anything without feeling pain for something like this. :(
  • Question
    39 yr
    205 lbs, 5 ft 6 inch
    I lost 17 lbs since aug 1
    Eat 1200.cal
    working out hard
    last week i increased my workout intensity incuding some weight
    Jillian m ripped n ellptic
    i expected huge results this week for last weeks sweat n dedication
    i eat clean, sleep, lots i never ate over 1300 did not eat back
    No weigjt loss this week. im scared it could happen again
    m i over working for calories
    i need to loss another 40 @least. i was wondering if i should up calories to say 1444 what do u think?

Okay.. First off-I ThINK YOU NEED TO EAT MORE.

I am 152 pounds. I workout at least 1 hours if not more a day. I eat close to 2000 calories a day. I too eat super super clean, sleep. I honestly, think you are starving yourself with only have 1300 calories. You need to eat more often 5-7 times a day. Break that up in 300 calories 6 meals is like 1900 calories. I normally do 150 for snacks (3 times a day) more for my meals.