calorie intake

Options
Hello~ I am currently trying to lose weight by burning more calories than I am consuming plus I am trying to watch my carb intake. My body only needs 1200 calories/day to maintain itself and be able to lose weight. Not only am I eating right but I exercise a minimum of 3 days per week(cardio), 30 minutes each time. Now my question is I drink exactly one small carton(pint) of skim milk a day at a whopping 90 calories. I would like to drink another pint of skim milk with dinner but that takes my total calories to 180!! I would rather consume food to get my calories in than to drink them away. Is adding that extra 90 calories of milk to my diet going to slow my weight loss, greatly? My next question is carbs. I like fruit but quite a few of them are either high in calories or carbs. Are the carbs in fruit ok to consume unlike breads,flour, etc?

Thank you all for your time!:happy:

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, drink the milk. At only 90 calories it has nutrients your body needs as well as a good mix of carbs and proteins. Don't be afraid to eat fruits (and hopefully veggies) because of the carbs. Your body needs carbs (good carbs, avoid the simple carbs) for energy.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    an extra 90 "good" calories are not going to hurt you...

Our body needs "good carbs"... found in fruits and veggies and such....
  • hdc1437
    Options
    Wow! fast responses. Thanks so much. Yes, I do eat veggies but veggies seem to be lower in calories and carbs.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Are you using the tools on this site to calculate your calorie goals? And do you input your exercise?

If yes to both questions, your exercise (once logged) should add calories to your maximum of 1,200 a day, allowing you extra food/drink.

Carbs are not "bad". Our bodies need them. But carbs wtih fiber are better for us than processed carbs (ie: table sugar, bleached flour, etc.). ALthough fruit does contain sugar and you don't want to overdo sugar in any form, they are still a healthy food choice.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    The milk is not a bad idea and won't slow your weight loss greatly. It's all math really.
    Basically every 3500 calories you omit from your diet = 1 pound of fat lost.
    If you reduce your weekly calories (from your pre-diet levels) by 3500 you will lose a pound a week, by 7000 calories, 2 pounds a week.
    The additional milk 7 days a week only adds 630 calories. You are probably already compensating for that much with your exercise.

The fruit. While it is much better for you than the refined carbs, make sure you stay under or close to your daily sugar/carb recommendations. Sadly we can't eat unlimited fruit. Every calorie does count.

good luck!