Officially close to breaking point

2»

Replies

• PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    If your goal is fat loss then you are doing way to much cardio and not enough weight training.

I'd ditch the swimming/walks later on, and lift weights.. plus keep your diet in check.

I do weight training and strength training in the DVD's I do.
    Unless you're using weights significantly more than any bag you carry on a daily basis, no you're not.

Just chill with some of the exercise. If your body is exhausted, a break is the best thing you can give it.

Yes, considerably more than a bag. lol
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Cut down to 4-5 days a week. Take off on the weekends and spend time with your family. It won't make any difference with the scale if you make the change.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Cut down on your exercise and focus on what you eat. Lose weight slowly. If your working out intensely enough 3 times a week(ONCE IN A DAY) should be fine unless your training for something.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    If you don't want to do the lose-weight-and-gain-it-back routine you HAVE to moderate your exercise more. Your walking to work is exercise in itself. So a couple of times during the week do one more thing. And then once or twice on the weekends. But if you let exercise consume your life, you won't be able to stick to it over the long haul and will end up right back where you started. You are creating a new lifestyle here, so it has to be something you ENJOY and can stick with. There are people who ENJOY going to the gym every day for hours. Most of us need to eat a little less and exercise 4-5 times a week. Don't forget your daily activity level. Are you spending less time vegging in front of the tv or other screens or do you find yourself hopping up and DOING something more now? THAT is our ultimate goal.
  • You really need to only work out 5 times a week. I used to be like you and when I did slow down my body went into shock. I have been unwell for the last 2 years and I have only just started to get better again. I have gained 10kgs out of it that I have not been able to shed due to the strain I put my body through. I have struggled the last two years to lose weight and I can't because my body is now recovering from what I have put it through. So please take my advice and take it easy. You don't want to become like me! I regret putting my body through so much. Take it easy :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i think you are probably over reacting. i don't understand what it is that has you so close to the edge. is ihat you don't spend enough time with friends and your boyfriend?

Make time.

Yes, the same thing that people told you on how to find time to exercise applies to everything else.

i used to tell myself the same thing in regards to friends and school work. i started to exercise and i cut out things like being with my better half and my friends and family. school work started to suffer as i would be "too tired" to do it after working out, or i wouldn't do it before a work out because i was so motivated and excited to exercise.

I started cutting back on things like television and video games. yes, even though i didn't have time for friends, family, and grad school, i had plenty of time for mindless entertainment. i started using google calanders to schedule everything, and i mean everything, from dates, to hanging out with friends, to work outs, to football games. i watch a lot less tv and play almost zero video games. i sleep about 7 hours a day, exercise, do school work, work, see friends and family, and find that i have plenty of time to do it all.

Invite friends and family to exercise with you. a 20 mile bike ride can be fun and relaxing with a person to talk to. go to an indoor rock climbing gym and challenge each other. that is my best friend and mine favorite thing to do lately. and the best thing about exercising with friends? going for guilt-free beers afterwards.

Do it all already, but thanks and I really don't feel like I'm over reacting.

Then i don't know what to tell you. Out of all the things people can base their life around, exercise is not a bad thing.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Personally I find it easy to fit in an hour of exercise of the days I have off. Much easier than after I'm exhausted after a long day at work. You may want to consider moving your rest days and getting rid of the 5 AM workouts. Make those days your rest days and enjoy the sleep. Then fit in some activity on the weekend and you're good.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I sort of have to force myself to take two days off a week as well (sometimes it doesn't work). My two days off are Tuesday and Thursday. I already get up a 4:45 AM for work, so getting up earlier than that to exercise doesn't work. I go to the gym or park first thing on Saturday and Sunday morning which leaves the rest of the day free to do whatever I want. Don't overdo it!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Invite friends and family to exercise with you. a 20 mile bike ride can be fun and relaxing with a person to talk to. go to an indoor rock climbing gym and challenge each other. that is my best friend and mine favorite thing to do lately. and the best thing about exercising with friends? going for guilt-free beers afterwards.

This. Find ways to multi-task the stuff you need/want to do. Plus it makes the exercising less suck.
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    I agree with the group: you're spending too much time exercising and not enough time recovering. The price you are paying is physical and emotional exhaustion. First and foremost I'd dial your workouts back a couple of notches. I'd also look to see if I could find some group play that might replace one or two of your workouts - maybe a bike ride or tennis or soccer or...

The lesson of the tortoise and the hare applies: overdone is overdone, a little less swseat might very well get you more results.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Only read OP. Here is a proposed schedule

M\W\F Heavy weight training 45-60 minutes

Tue\Thur Walk to and from work

Sun-Sat Eat less

How does that work?
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    look exercise is good for you yeah thats well known but anything in excess and that includes the good for you things is not such a great idea! life is passing you by in a haze of exhaustion how can you enjoy that?Take the weekend off 2 rest days its not going to do you any harm but it will recharge your batteries you cannot run on empty!
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    I think it is great to have your plan here. Don't overdo it. What you were doing wow was a lot. You need time for you and your friends too.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Lighten up; enjoy your partner, enjoy your life, enjoy your friends and enjoy doing exercise WHEN YOU WANT TO. If you're doing exercise to burn off calories, perhaps you're just eating too much. If you want to lose weight, you have to eat healthier and slightly (not massively) less.

Excellent advice!

You're definitely burning yourself out. Exercise is great for the health benefits but doing something just 4 days a week is great. I like the idea of HIIT too. More bang for your buck in terms of time.