how many lbs per pants size?

Options
I'm just wondering how many pounds "generally" equal a pants size or dress size down? Obviously it depends on the cut, but I'm feel frustrated that I'm getting down in my jeans, but not my dress pants. I hate being in between sizes like this because if feels like nothing flatters me.

Replies

• B_Mindful
    B_Mindful Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that 12 pounds is a dress size, but I'm sure it has much to do with how much of that is lean and how much is fat. Fat just takes up more space!
  • toberdawg
    Options
    I have lost 27lbs and gone from a size 16 jeans to a size 12.
  • lose3stone
    lose3stone Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I believe around 10-12 pounds is about right......
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For me, going from 175 to 145 pounds it was about 10 pounds per pants size.
  • lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's a little different when you're tall. I'm 6ft, and it's about 20lbs.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs and I'm in between. Wearing baggy 16's, but no 14's will fit yet. So it's different for everyone. I have a big *kitten* which doesn't help the issue.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I was a size 18, I lost 36 lbs, & now I'm between a 10 & 8.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    This is going to depend entirely on what percentage of the pounds you lose is fat versus lean mass. I lost 2 pants sizes with 30# doing cardio and low calories, but I have lost another pants size with only about 5# heavy lifting and eating at maintenance calories.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    Mine has been very inconsistent. when I first started losing, I lost almost 50 pounds and only went down one jean size. But now I can lose 10 pounds and go down a jean size. When I started I was 340 pounds. Now I'm 212.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how many pounds "generally" equal a pants size or dress size down? Obviously it depends on the cut, but I'm feel frustrated that I'm getting down in my jeans, but not my dress pants. I hate being in between sizes like this because if feels like nothing flatters me.

I recently finished copying size charts at Kmart and Target, just because I was bored at work and curious as you are. Those two stores differ slightly, since they carry different brand names, but it is clear that the larger the size, the longer it takes to slim down to the next size. The smaller sizes were only about two inches apart, waistline-wise. But the larger sizes were as much as 6 inches apart in the waistline to go to the next size.

So, I was actually wearing a tight-fitting 24W and should have been in a 26W. It took me 30 pounds and 7 inches to where I can *just now* fit in my 22W jeans. However, they are still tight, so I need another inch lost before I can really wear them comfortable.

I strongly urge you to take your measurements! That will be a much better indicator of sizes. And most stores have sizing charts on their websites for the brands they carry. That way, you can see how many inches you need to burn. Basically, find the name brand of slacks and then the size, then find the link that says "size chart" and it will tell you.
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've just started and am down my first 10lbs and I haven't really went down a size but my current size is fitting better with more room.

So I"m happy.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 70 pounds and am down 10 sizes, so for me it was about 7 pounds per size, I guess? I dropped a lot of sizes very quickly at the beginning, though, and it seems to take more weight loss to get a size loss nowadays.
  • Paullei
    Options
    I was at a comfortable size 24 and my 7 lbs lost made my size 22' very snug, but wearable. In the past, it took about 15 lbs before I was comfortable to go down a size on my 5' frame.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    10 lbs for me and i'm 5'2.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me its about 8 to 10lbs depending on the cut and shop!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Your height plays a huge role in how quickly you drop sizes. I'm tall (5' 9 1/2") and for me I could drop 20 pounds and still fit in the same clothes.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's a little different when you're tall. I'm 6ft, and it's about 20lbs.

That sounds about right. I am six foot too. Lost 14lbs and I am in between sizes. My current size is too loose, next size too tight. For shorter people it is probably less.
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs and I'm in between. Wearing baggy 16's, but no 14's will fit yet. So it's different for everyone. I have a big *kitten* which doesn't help the issue.

I'm in this same boat. I hate it. I've lost 17 pounds and my 16s are too baggy but the 14s are just too tight. I can barely breathe in them. But at least NOW I can get the 14s on whereas before I couldn't even pull them up over my big bootay!

I know the key is to get to exercising more. I just don't.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on where you lose the weight, your body type, etc. I have lost 45 lbs and went from a size 24jeans to a 16/18 depending on the cut/brand etc. However I know someone that is the same height as me but weighs about 65lbs less than me that wears a 14/16. I was confused at first at how she could be in one size less than me but weigh so much less even at the same height. We just carry or weight differently. I, for example, have only gone down 1 shirt size because "the girls" are still there as much as ever :)

I also think it's not how many pounds till you lose a pant size but how many inches. More of the right exercise= inches lost=smaller pant sizes :)
  • o2bADyer
    Options
    45 lbs down...started at 14, now in an 8.