Sabotaging Myself - methods to stop.

Options
Hi everyone,

My problem is this : I overeat very easily, and can't seem to stop myself.

I live in a "college dorm", which means all my food is prepared for me, and at every meal time there's entrees, several mains, desserts, bread, cheese etc. And its often quite naughty foods (food I think of as 'sometime food') like fried chicken, lots of pasta, hotdogs, ice-cream, trifle etc

When I'm with my friends at dinner I just forget/disregard that I'm meant to be on a healthy journey, and just eat everything I want :( I don't understand WHY I do it, because I always feel terrible afterwards. And my friends don't eat badly either, it's just me doing that.

How can I stop overeating and overindulging so regularly? Are there any ways that you have learnt to cope with this?

Sorry if there's already a topic on this, I'm just quite upset and didn't know who to talk to...

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Aw don't be upset :smile:

It's difficult when faced with food like that, I know I'd have trouble too. Maybe if you have what dishes you want, but only a mouthful or two of each one? Try and choose the better options.
    Really try and say to yourself that you ARE NOT going to let this food get you , not going to allow it to rule your life.

You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • fat2fit111
    Options
    This is going to sound a bit crazy, but it worked for me! stick a rubberband on your wrist and flick it or get your friends to when you are eating poor choices, at the very least it might help you think about it in the moment rather than after you've consumed too many calories. :) good luck!!!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Aw don't be upset :smile:

It's difficult when faced with food like that, I know I'd have trouble too. Maybe if you have what dishes you want, but only a mouthful or two of each one? Try and choose the better options.
    Really try and say to yourself that you ARE NOT going to let this food get you , not going to allow it to rule your life.

You can do it! :flowerforyou:

This is great advise. Start with smaller steps. Maybe say to yourself that you will only allow yourself one bad thing. So if you really want the ice cream make sure that you eat a healthy meal. Or if there is something that you class as one of your sometimes foods in your main then make the decision to have no dessert.

I think once you start making these decisions and been a bit tougher with yourself you will start seeing the good results on your body which could help your willpower. I know when I see the scales move I find it a little easier to say no to those kind of foods. At least for a few days lol.
  • Lauren26493
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and support :) No-one in real life knows I'm trying to lose weight, which makes it hard, but at least I have you guys!
    I think I'm definitely going to try the elastic band thing.
    And Fozzi43, you're 100% right :) I just need to think of food as nutrients and a way to fuel my body, and not as a way of relieving stress, and I'll be able to control it much better I think.

On a slightly different note - has anyone had any luck with breaking out of plateau's by limiting certain food groups for a short amount of time? Eg. cutting back on dairy for a week, or eating high protein/low card for a week etc.
  • louised88
    Options
    I do this too, I tend to think of unhealthy food as a 'reward' or a comfort and it's a pattern of thinking that I'm working hard to break. Although sometimes it's just a craving or a momentary desire and for these times i have a folder on my phone with pics of me in my undies under the harshest light i could find (flourescent does noone any favours! :D) and a separate folder with pics of the types of body I aspire to, so I just take a second and flick through them!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I was really disciplined before and lost 70 pounds, but lately, the past few weeks, I have totally lost it. I find that I am fine all day, in work I eat fine, then I get home, have dinner, that's ok, but a couple of hours later I get the evening munchies lol and I end up ruining my day. I have no idea what's changed in my brain, I was never like this before. And, like you, I feel terrible afterwards.

I'm going to take some of the advice that other people have given you. Hopefully we can get back on track xx
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I find it helps if you plan what you are going to eat first. And you can fiddle around with your diary until you are happy and then stick eith it. I have found it helps when eating out etc to plan it and I don't get overwhelmed and eat the naughtier stuff x
  • shebug10
    Options
    Hi I am a new member (2days) and have lost nothing yet - start new diet on Monday.

I read somewhere that if you have filled your plate up (and you know it) separate out what you think you should eat and then cover the rest of it with salt so you cannot eat it!!! Yuk...

This will help you to control your portion size.

Good Luck.
  • emarose90
    Options
    Is there a way you can log a few items before you even start eating? Possibly a pain to do I know, but seeing what's actually in what you are about to eat may help you to stop and make a different choice. Even if for the moment, that is a case of eating the pasta main but not a dessert for example.

It will get easier over time, but start with small steps otherwise it will be too difficult to make it a real lifestyle change (and not just a diet for a few months).

I hope this helps x
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Get one plate for each meal. Fill it with healthy stuff only. Say to yourself and know that you can't go back for more, that this is it! That worked for me.
  • aliric
    Options
    I'll tell you what works for me...Out of sight out of mind..Try and sit as far away from the food that you possibly can or take your food and eat it somewhere else. I know it's kind of hard when your sitting in a cafeteria but when your not around all that food it is much less tempting. I like the rubber band idea too. Good Luck!!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I would plan your meal ahead of time if you can. And only get 1 plate full. Tell yourself that most of the plate should be protein!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You are maybe tired, stressed, homesick, tired, any of these or all of these things make food placed in front of you very appealing. Food soothes you that's why you are eating out of control.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Is there a way you can log a few items before you even start eating? Possibly a pain to do I know, but seeing what's actually in what you are about to eat may help you to stop and make a different choice. Even if for the moment, that is a case of eating the pasta main but not a dessert for example.

It will get easier over time, but start with small steps otherwise it will be too difficult to make it a real lifestyle change (and not just a diet for a few months).

I hope this helps x

Try to log as much ahead of time as possible every day and really helps because if I see something and it's not in my "plan" and see how many free calories are left I stick to the plan! You could also try to eat very light during the day in prep for a day you are eating with friends and feel likely to let loose at night. And, love the taking tiny portions idea - this is how I have been handling big eating holidays like Thanksgiving. Small steps... very true, especially in college when there is so much going on!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    if the food at the cafeteria is unhealthy for you it is likely unhealthy for everyone else who has to eat there. Lobby for healthy choices and more fresh greens. One thing I try to do is to not have anything fried or topped with cheese unless it is sitting on a bed of spinach or dark green leafy vegetables. Goes along with what someone suggested, two-three bites of the calorie dense foods, twenty-thirty bites of the plants.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    Not that I want to advertise for anyone but I'm doing Slimming World (don't know if they have that in the states if that's where you are but weight watchers do the same sort of thing.) Their plan allows you to eat as much plain pasta, rice, potatoes, lower fat meats, vegetables/fruit etc as you want with an emphasis on making 1/3 of your meals from veg and then some extras on top. I'm losing really well on it and I can eat plenty. It might be a good option for you. I don't go to a group I just signed up and got the materials and do it on my own. I'm sure you could get all of the foods from your dorm catering and you wouldn't have to try and do calorie counting.
  • merso001
    Options
    hello! I'm also a college student and have a similar problem! I dont live in a dorm anymore, however I do live alone which can also be hard. it's VERY easy to cheat and binge on whatever whenever because no one will know. it's gotten to the point for me where i dont want to live alone anymore!! Maybe we can help each other along the way? (:
  • jenniflower75
    jenniflower75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok so I suffer with the same problem, or I used to (i still have my moments) but what really works for me is to allow myself one cheat day a week. I don't eat my goal calories but rather eat my burned calories per day as if I were trying only to maintain my weight.then I don't feel deprived and I get to indulge in my goodies. After some time of doing this I pay more attention to...are these calories worth it and I chose more wisely. My special cheat days are during the weekend usually sundays cuz we have a big brunch.this weekend we will be doing it Saturday cuz we will be celebrating my birthday which is actually in the 26th. I hope this helps good luck!!!!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key.

- I eat just about anything I want but avoid foods that I know are "trigger" foods. For example I don't keep ice cream in the house because I will eat it all. But things like spaghetti, hamburgers, corn on the cob, etc - I still eat it but I measure everything. If you are serving yourself at the cafeteria, you have to kind of eyeball it... (if you look on the web you can find visual references to portion sizes like 1 oz of cheese is the size of a pair of dice). If you are being served, ask for 1/2 portions or as soon as you sit down, take whatever extra is on your plate and immediately put it to the side on another p[late. Mix it up, throw a bunch of salt and pepper on it, cover it with a napkin so you aren't tempted to eat it.

- Get in the mental game. When I go to the store I have to really mentally prepare myself to not buy crap. I am talking to myself well before I get there about what I am going to buy and what I won't. I keep a list of the benefits of losing weight in my purse (smaller clothing size, meeting my running goal, etc.) and look at it before I go in/while I shop if tempted.

-Exercise is so important!! Going for a brisk 30 min walk every day will help you so much. It will burn off a few calories and give you energy.

Good luck... its a tough situation but can be done. And seriously think about letting friends & family know that you are trying to eat healthy. Sometimes their support can help.