my kids are doing ripped in 30

Options
My 13YO son wanted to join the gym with me but unfortunately he is too young, He's very keen on exercise and staying fit, Hes already very active and a keen speed runner, 100M, he also done a 5KM with me recently.

He along side my daughter (11) (who is not so active, shes slim and healthy just not as active as my 13YO) They have both started doing Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 as its a DVD I have bought recently,

Im sure this wont do them any harm in their muscular development although Im no expert. Im so pleased that My getting moving has gotten my daughter moving also.

Are there any bad points about them doing ripped in 30?

Replies

• sueheath1966
    Options
    Why would any 11 year old want to be "ripped" ??

Surely she should just be playing out and having fun with her friends.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Can't see any harm in it if the weights are little. It's nowhere near as demanding or challenging as the exercise regime I had when I had just turned 11, doing at least 2 hours of dance training 5 days a week. Playing out isn't always an option in Glasgow, unless you like getting wet!
    Jane
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Why would any 11 year old want to be "ripped" ??

Surely she should just be playing out and having fun with her friends.

she hears her brother and basically she is copying him, being competitive siblings she cant have him getting anything but she wants it lol shes saying the words "I want abs" ... but yes your probably right she is really just playing ... its my son who is serious about it :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    ha-ha daughter just flexed her arms (pieces of string) and said "check out my abs" nothing to worry about then she didn't even know where her abs were :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Can't see any harm in it if the weights are little. It's nowhere near as demanding or challenging as the exercise regime I had when I had just turned 11, doing at least 2 hours of dance training 5 days a week. Playing out isn't always an option in Glasgow, unless you like getting wet!
    Jane

weights for my daughter are cans of soup .... my son is using my 2.5KG ones thou.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My daughter joins me in 30 day shred. She needed the increase in physical activity. PE is only offered here 1 quarter of the school year and they are not allowed outside to play during the day at school.

She has dropped 7 lbs and is very pleased with herself. I am super proud of her too.

And before someone sez kids should be outside playing... It is kind of hard when she is in school til near 4PM and then has 1 1/2 hours of homework.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with it. Soon we will have snow here and my kids don't like to play in it. Doing something like that indoors would be fun. Kids play football at 13 which is pretty physical. I don't see the harm in it. She has you run in place and lift your arms over your head, not that big of a deal.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I think it's great!

My daughter (12yo) has exercised using some of my videos before too.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's great. Showing her a habit that she should make a part of her routine for the rest of her life. My 8 year old is similar. After watching me and his mom, he now reads the nutrition labels on everything and understands what the important numbers are. He still eats what he likes, but he "gets it".
  • kellya252
    kellya252 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My daughter joins me in 30 day shred. She needed the increase in physical activity. PE is only offered here 1 quarter of the school year and they are not allowed outside to play during the day at school.

She has dropped 7 lbs and is very pleased with herself. I am super proud of her too.

And before someone sez kids should be outside playing... It is kind of hard when she is in school til near 4PM and then has 1 1/2 hours of homework.

Wow! My boys have PE three days a week, and are outside twice every day (10 min recess, 20 mins before lunch). Now that it is cross-country season my younger son runs during his break before they go inside for lunch.

Good for you (and your daughter) for deciding to get active. I don't see any problem with kids doing exercise dvds if it's what they like to do. That's the key... finding something they like to do. :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Wow! My boys have PE three days a week, and are outside twice every day (10 min recess, 20 mins before lunch). Now that it is cross-country season my younger son runs during his break before they go inside for lunch.

Good for you (and your daughter) for deciding to get active. I don't see any problem with kids doing exercise dvds if it's what they like to do. That's the key... finding something they like to do. :)
    We moved here to South Carolina from NY a year ago. In NY they were health crazy. Even in class the teachers were required to do 15 min a day of exercise of their choice + gym+ lots of outdoor time. Class parties could only offer healthy snacks, fruit, nuts, veg and dip.

Here they give candy as treats for correct answers. KK doughnuts on Fridays for breakfast and either Aunt Annies Pretzels or chick Fil A sandwiches every WED (thanks PTO). They keep them in the building like little Veals. She has put on over 20 lbs since moving here.

The academics here are amazing.. she is way ahead of her NY friends in math and Social Studies.. But, I KNOW why this is one of the fattest states in the country.

Her
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a problem at all as long is she is eating plenty. I mean, if your kids are out on the monkey bars and doing pull ups and whanot, it's fine. So, I don't see why doing a workout video would be any different. Make sure she eats well, and has some fun. :)
  • sdm242
    sdm242 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 30DS. I started off doing it on my own then my husband joined me and then both of my girls (ages 9 and 11). My oldest is quite interested and uses light weights (small pop bottles,etc) when she wants. She's quite thrilled when she notices that she can do more than she used to. My youngest has created her own modified version by combining the exercises she like most from all 3 levels. I think it's a great way for us all to be active together.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    my oldest son(almost 9) likes to do the Active 2 for PS3 w/ me. He starts off w/ me and usually stops and cheers me on. he loves doing the soccer and mountain biking and mountain boarding exercises. He looks at the calories/nutrition of the food, but he doesn't need to lose any of his weight(he's a skinny butt-only around 50lbs). He'll break into jumping jacks out of the blue. I love that he is into staying healthy.