Unsolicited advice

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of giving advice. I guess it depends on the advice? I don't consider what was said in the original post to BE advice, just a casual, misguided statement.

I asked a few weeks back why a friend of mine didn't come to a party. Her husbands response was that it didn't fit in her calories. I joked 'it's all good, it's protein' and was snapped back at by 'Well, you're not her trainer, so thanks for your advice'.

*Headdesk*
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Remember that old saying " those who can DO, do.... those who CANT, teach " lmao.

Knowing lots of very capable teachers myself, I hate that "old saying."
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    All the time...they also want to know the secret of my sucess...I'm not sure why it is more acceptable to say "Stress, Tequila and Men" than hard work lifting weights.
  • llsand
    Options
    Absolutely,

Knowing that i would get remarks, some eye rolling and people saying to themselves that i wouldn’t be able to do it, i kept to myself the fact that i was on a diet. Now that the weight loss is really visible, the few people who’ve started to come forward are either asking me what I’m doing and that I shouldn’t be doing it or are telling me I should stop loosing weight (although I’m still considered overweight).

When they all saw me gain weight, they had no problem with it. Now that I’m loosing it, they all have problems and are concerned. It’s ridiculous.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    IKR, I mostly get, don't lose anymore, you wll blow away. I am dead in the middle of what is healthy for my height & age, hardly scrawny. Everybody is an expert. "MD from Google University" I love that.

I get this too - Don't lose anymore!!!! And it's always from peeps larger than me. I'm just getting to the weight that my build/height should be ..duh
  • vico1612
    Options
    I've been asked a couple of times if I'm ok ... [ you sick ? ] and for my diet secret [ my reply is cocaine ... prevents lengthy discussions with my expert colleagues ]
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    People do this all the time for all sorts of things.

I fly home to visit my family twice a year. I know exactly what to expect at the airport, I know how early I need to be there, I know what I can carry on and what I can't. Inevitable each time I have 2 or 3 people tell me all kinds of nonsensical things I need to do while flying, people who haven't flown in decades!

Same with when you have a cold, and I struggle with wanting to give advice here too. You get a cold and everyone wants to tell you exactly what works and how to get rid of it. If you were to do all the things everyone suggests you would be in the hospital because of all the bad interactions.

I'm still on the front end of loosing weight, I try not to talk about it with the people I spend more waking hours with than anyone else, coworkers. I don't want or need a million different opinions on how I should loose weight, unless I wan't to go totally crazy.
  • vbrent07
    Options
    I got comments after I had my son and was walking to lose weight. They said I wouldn't lose anything just by doing that and I lost 80 pounds! It did take a while but i wasn't counting my calories at the time.
  • htherrien0406
    Options
    Actually, that has happened to me a couple of times, and I like it. I love being able to tell people that I don't have to sacrifice yummy food just to lose weight and that the secret is understanding nutrition and how your body uses food. That usually shuts them up, and they walk away because they don't want to hear a lecture on nutrition! :laugh:

Love it! I would personally take a sip of that coffee, look her right in the eye and say mmmmmmmm ;)
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    IKR, I mostly get, don't lose anymore, you wll blow away. I am dead in the middle of what is healthy for my height & age, hardly scrawny. Everybody is an expert. "MD from Google University" I love that.

I get this too - Don't lose anymore!!!! And it's always from peeps larger than me. I'm just getting to the weight that my build/height should be ..duh

Sadly, I had a good friend start telling me that I was unhealthy and looked younger with a round face...all bs if you ask me...She is struggling with her weight and wants company in my opinion. I'm short, and can still stand to lose another 15lbs..yeah that puts me at a low number, but I can still see fat, and that needs to go.

The other thing I was amused by was two of my bosses discussing whether I had been taking dieting pills...I mean really?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    it is easier to give advice than take it.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm only just beginning, so no one has really noticed that I'm losing weight yet... But I haven't really told anyone for this reason in particular. Aside from my closest family members and my MFP cheerleading squad, no one knows. When people start to notice (or you let it slip) that you're getting healthy, suddenly everyone starts crawling out of the woodwork with their M.D. from Google University in hand, trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't do with your body. I've even found MFP-ers are terrible about this. (Myself included on occasion). There are billions of people in the world. Don't let one ruin your day.

Keep doin' what you're doin! Clearly it's working!

"Google University" has me cracking up!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    M.D. from Google University

This is SO true! Sheesh! Just this morning I was told I was getting too thin and why did I need to run 10 miles a week, you look fine. Ug, if I didn't run 10 miles a week I wouldn't look fine, thank you! And then someone else told me I was addicted to weight loss. Seriously? Are you my doctor?
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've been told I've lost too much weight. I just ignore them because I am happy at 125 which I feel is a healthy weight. I do what makes me happy and I really don't worry so much about what others think. My daughter thinks it's because some of my clothes are too baggy, well I can't replace my whole wardrobe in one shopping trip so yep some of my clothes are still pretty lose on me lol but I'm working on it by slowing replacing them.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Nah, I do not get any unsolicited advice but I am quick to give it. :bigsmile:
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the lady knows from whence she speaks!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'll quote a great great advice I was given by a very smart man: "Assume everyone else is an idiot".
    Fall back to that, and smile, and don't take it personally.

This is what I try to do with everything. Including people who tell me how to do my job at work, what to wear, how to drive..pretty much anything.
    my reply is cocaine ... prevents lengthy discussions with my expert colleagues

This is awesome..I will totally be using this for smart *kitten* in the future!
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get that too, most of the time from my Husband. "should you be eating that?"...come on. Ive been working on this for quite some time, and granted it isnt dropped off in 5 days, but its a whole lifestyle change and i dont plan on removing things i like from my meals.

I also get people asking me ":how are you doing it"...obviously my answer is exercise and watching the foods i eat. If they are truly interested, i will divulge in more specific details...but when i have a co-worker say "Have you heard of (insert weight loss pill)? I did that and lost 55 pounds in 4 months!". My response was, "thats great, but im doing a lifestyle change and not just trying to lose weight that ill can pack right back on". She then got defensive about me saying she is going to gain her weight back, blah blah. Im sorry...im actually serious about my body...im trying to get rid of pills to take, not add more.

I also have a co-worker who can eat anything (she mostly eats sugar and coffee during the day) and lose weight...and then proceed to be SHOCKED at my limitations and how many calories im alotted a day....really?

Of course, i never talk to any one unless they ask for my advice and are serious and seem to really care...cause all i get are dumb questions and suggestions. ESPECIALLY since they know i have a lot of food allergies.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    say thanks, move on and enjoy your day

^THIS
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I usually respond something like this:

74568_10150095460399673_1350790_n_zps9f72bd4c.jpg