Unsolicited advice

Options
13»

Replies

• ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hasn't been a problem for me. My dad has been kind enough to make sure I knew what I was eating would lead to failing my diet through my entire journey.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i also get people calling me "skinny minnie" and that im melting away....when im still considered obese. um. just say "great job" and leave it be. most of the time i laugh, say "im still fat, F%$k off."
  • cassavaca
    Options
    for my diet secret [ my reply is cocaine ... prevents lengthy discussions with my expert colleagues ]

HAHAH! I would say something like this as well.
  • cassavaca
    Options
    I just tell big mouthed people that now that I am in better shape, my wife and I have more frequent and better sex. Then I offer to show them my new piercings.

I truly LOL'd. My co-worker gave me a funny look. I can relate ;)
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I get some stupid comments...but what drives me nuts is my roommate always wants to get pizza and he gets mad that I don't want to get wasted all the time drinking. Our college homecoming is next weekend and I said I am drinking little to none because I can't be consuming all those calories and carbs. He wasn't pleased. I was look, I'm not ruining what I have going!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I get advice from everyone telling me what i need to do. As if I was not the one who lost 50lbs all on my own!

^^^ Love this! ^^^
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm only just beginning, so no one has really noticed that I'm losing weight yet... But I haven't really told anyone for this reason in particular. Aside from my closest family members and my MFP cheerleading squad, no one knows. When people start to notice (or you let it slip) that you're getting healthy, suddenly everyone starts crawling out of the woodwork with their M.D. from Google University in hand, trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't do with your body. I've even found MFP-ers are terrible about this. (Myself included on occasion). There are billions of people in the world. Don't let one ruin your day.

Keep doin' what you're doin! Clearly it's working!

lol this is hilarious! an MD from Google University! I'm laughing so much! :laugh:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I also see people getting advice from people on MFP who have no background on anything with athletics,nutrition,working out or anything and have been on their journey for 5 minutes and already know everything and are an authority for advice.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I understand how this is annoying, but I don't think unsolicited advice would even be appreciated before losses. And I definitely think there would be some major offense if someone who was thin came up to someone and started giving advice as well.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    All the time...they also want to know the secret of my sucess...I'm not sure why it is more acceptable to say "Stress, Tequila and Men" than hard work lifting weights.

this^^^^^^^ but i usually say cocaine, laxatives and lots of sex lol
    i get told all the time by my (overweight) friends that I'm getting far to thin, I'm starving myself, i work out far to much, and I'm just going to put it all back on.
    firstly yes I'm thinner now than i have been since i was a teenager but i'm far from thin
    secondly if i just sit on my bum all day i have still got 1500 calories to go at and when the right food choices are made that can be a huge amount of delicious food
    yes i might work out too much compared to some people, but only because i have a 3 mile round trip to school twice a day, i don't drive so this is unavoidable, i also (weather permitting) add a couple of miles on to the morning walk whenever i can because my youngest daughter loves to be out in the fresh air, i also try to run a couple of times a week though admittedly I've been a bit of a slacker since august, and i do workout dvds if i get a spare half hour but with 4 kids one of them a very demanding toddler you can imagine how often that happens
    and as for putting it all back on, only time will tell but i have worked my butt off to lose 87lbs, I've still got about another 14 to go minimum, and find people willing me to fail really spiteful

my mum told me a joke years ago and now I've started using the joke as a way of dealing with unsolicited advice

A well to do woman is talking to the woman in the next bed at the maternity hospital.

"This will be my third child", she said. "How many children have you had?"

"This'll be me second" said the woman.

The posh woman went on... "On the birth of my first child, my husband bought me a Ferrari."

"Very nice", said the woman

"Then on the birth of my second child, he took me on a luxury Carribean cruise."

"Very nice", came the reply.

"Tell me, what did your husband get for you on the birth of you first child?"

"He got me elocution lessons" said the woman.

"Elocution lessons?"

"Yeah, I used to say "Go f**k yourself", now I say "Very nice"
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been asked a couple of times if I'm ok ... [ you sick ? ] and for my diet secret [ my reply is cocaine ... prevents lengthy discussions with my expert colleagues ]

I'm so going to steal this!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    "He got me elocution lessons" said the woman.

"Elocution lessons?"

"Yeah, I used to say "Go f**k yourself", now I say "Very nice"

Awesome!
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    Yeah, I get comments like that. The worst was when I donated all of my old clothes. I heard from someone at work, that maybe I shouldn't have done that.

I had a similar situation except it was two "friends" of mine. I was just like awesome, thanks for that.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm only just beginning, so no one has really noticed that I'm losing weight yet... But I haven't really told anyone for this reason in particular. Aside from my closest family members and my MFP cheerleading squad, no one knows. When people start to notice (or you let it slip) that you're getting healthy, suddenly everyone starts crawling out of the woodwork with their M.D. from Google University in hand, trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't do with your body. I've even found MFP-ers are terrible about this. (Myself included on occasion). There are billions of people in the world. Don't let one ruin your day.

Keep doin' what you're doin! Clearly it's working!

Thanks everybody, its just at times I feel like Will Ferrell from Zoolander "ITS THE SAME LOOK AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!" I will say "MD from Google University" WINNER:drinker:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    222001_286412608134084_1412423009_n.jpg
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    Options
    I know what you mean. I had a coworker tell me how to eat, come on now I have lost 70 lbs and you are going to now tell me how to eat. I guess they mean well but sometimes people just don't think.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    People like to talk. Human nature, I guess. I usually just say, "Huh. Interesting." That's it. They usually don't keep going if you don't give them much response.
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You could be nasty and say, "How do you find doing this works for you?" Or "Oh, so if I cut this out completely, I can lose weight?"

I find it frustrating as heck too but to each their own.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My perpetually overweight mom likes to harp on me not to eat at night. I eat whenever I want to and I have had no problem losing weight. I don't think she can quite get that "eating at night" is not "night-eating" and it's not a bing; my fiance and I just keep something of a late schedule.

I get the "don't eat at night" thing all the time too. I try to make sure that I eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day and most days I have no problem eating those calories and more. However, there are those days when I wake up late or whatever and I don't get all of my calories in before 9pm. I have intentionally gone and found something to have as a snack whether I am hungry or not so that I can get my calories up over the 1200 mark. It absolutely has not hurt my weight loss efforts this far. In fact, it may have helped because I have steadily lost since the 14th of June.