why do i feel crap :(

Options
Hey

So any insight would be really appreciated.

I am 218lbs, eating between 1800-1950 cals a day, with a BMR of 1817. I exercise a minimum of 500 cals a day, which is usually outdoors cycling, combined with aerobic workouts and rebound jogging on a trampoline.

But, for the last few days I have felt so pants, and have crashed out and napped a few times for no reason. My food diary is completely open if anyone thinks looking at that would help. I try to spread out my energy consumption across the day, and always make sure that I am not exercising on an empty stomach.

I have no bugs or illnesses, and no real reason i can see for feeling so blah.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Double post.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    This is me every day. Hope you figure it out. It's 10:30 and I already have a headache and want a nap.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions, although I'm sure others will come up with lots more:

1) Are you coming up on your TOM? That can hugely affect how you feel and what sort of energy you have.

2) I would add protein to your nutrients tracked. Having taken a quick look at your diary, I suspect you're not getting enough protein, especially for the amount you're working out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising every day with enough intensity to burn 500 calories that could be the reason. You might need to build in more rest days. You could be experiencing some exercise burn out. Or possibly mix in some lower intensity activities like walking?
  • yazziem
    yazziem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating too many carbs and not enough protein, personally.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising every day with enough intensity to burn 500 calories that could be the reason. You might need to build in more rest days. You could be experiencing some exercise burn out.
    ^^^ Just what I was going to say. You need at least one day of rest (even if it's active rest like having a gentle walk or a swim) a week to recover properly.

Also are you getting enough sleep? I find if I exercise in the evening I have terrible trouble getting to sleep.
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating too many carbs and not enough protein, personally.

Thats exactly what I was just thinking looking at your diary.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I laughed at "felt so pants" LOL sorry but I did.

I dunno what to tell you other than change things around a bit and see if anything helps you out. Maybe you're not sleeping enough, or try some B 12
  • mmapags
    Options
    After looking at your diary, your protein isn't being tracked but based on your fats and carbs, your protein is fine. Also, your carbs are good for the level of activity you are doing. You seem to have a very good mix in your macros. I'd look at building in more rest and lower intensity activity into your workout schedule. Also, I think it's more important to be concious of protein that either saturated fat or fiber. I'd be tracking that before either of those 2.

Edited to add: You carb goal is too high but you don't ever seem to be hitting it and the level you are eating at is fine. I'd adjust the goal to about 175 grams per day, fats at about 60 or 70 grams and the balance in protein. But I don't think any of that is affecting your energy level. The balance you are eating despite your goals is a good one. I'd make the goals match that and track protein.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You are also 500 to 700 calories short most days. I don't know if this is why you're feeling drained but it might be worth looking into.

If this were me I'd take a day or two off of hard workouts and just walk a bit, kick up my lean protien, make sure my carbs are in a form that won't spike my blood sugar and drink plenty of water. Also get plenty of sleep.

You should be feeling strong since you're putting so much effort in. If it doesn't clear up, see a doctor.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • mmapags
    Options
    You are also 500 to 700 calories short most days. I don't know if this is why you're feeling drained but it might be worth looking into.

If this were me I'd take a day or two off of hard workouts and just walk a bit, kick up my lean protien, make sure my carbs are in a form that won't spike my blood sugar and drink plenty of water. Also get plenty of sleep.

You should be feeling strong since you're putting so much effort in. If it doesn't clear up, see a doctor.

Went back and took a look and noticed this also. Where you are eating seems appropriate if you eating back most of your exercise cals. Again, you may want to set your goals to reflect your actual as your actual seems appropriate. 2500 would look like it's close to maintenance for you wouldn't it?
  • juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    have you thought about having your thyroid gland checked by your doctor? Just a thought. Good luck.:wink:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant? It's the first thing that popped into my head when I read your issues.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant? It's the first thing that popped into my head when I read your issues.

just went upstairs and took a test when i read your comment.......nope. :/
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I always get quite tired a week before tom. Are you taking rest days from intense exercise? It might be worth trying if your not. You could try something less intense like walking a couple of times a week.
  • Melbot1000
    Melbot1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this but I looked through your exercise diary, I noticed that you do very little strength training. I've always been advised by fitness professionals to do a balanced workout regime of cardio and strength training. Otherwise, if you are not building/maintaining muscle you could be losing weight in the form of muscle mass. I would insert some strength training into your routine (equal parts cardio and weight lifting) and see what happens.

I hope you feel better!
  • katcunock
    Options
    to reply to the ladies points: No, I am not approaching TOM.

i've to this date lost 39lbs, and the instructor that helped me lose that put me on a 1900 allowance, so i have been trying to stick to that.....is it worth raising it do you think?

I thought i might not have been exercising enough, but i can see your point about rest days. I usually don't really exercise on a saturday, and on a sunday my BF and I eat out, on the condition that we walk to wherever we are going which is usually within a 0-5 mile range.

We have just signed up for a 100km walk next year so will be doing lots more walking in the coming months. Hopefully this will help???
  • argu7530
    Options
    I am a diabetic and right now on a three 3 boot camp withere I am burning 500 cals 5 days out of the week with one rest day on the weekend, and a yoga day.

I am currently 235, and what has helped me is that the diet that was provided suggested 2000 Cals per day for those greater then 150lbs, and once you are lower, you can decrease your cal intake.

What I found has helped is lots of water, doing some relaxation routine (I also do Tai Chi). The biggest thing too is working on get the 8 hours you are need. If you find you are still tired and nappy I would suggest requesting a sleep study. I also have to use a CPAP machine, and can see the difference between my energy levels the nights I use it and not.

Just a suggestion.

GOOD LUCK!:wink:
  • katcunock
    Options
    what's a CPAP machine?
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i agree with what others have said...up your protein and eat less carbs...

on your diary it looks like you know how to eat fiber so change that to protein so you can track that instead...