Should I buy a total gym??

Options

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I've used one, and it can be good for your upper body. Kind of hard to really hit your legs as strong as they need to be.

There are some great back exercises you can do on them, especially for the lats.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I got it dirt cheap from ebay, I use it as a filler incase I have to miss the gym.

There are ok but feel award/clumsy.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Plates, bars, bells, the works. But I don't necessarily love switching out the plates. I don't love having to use a spotter, and I don't love having a row of dumbbells or, in general, the amount of space that it all takes up (1st world problem, I know).

I'll be looking for something in the New Year too. I can understand the inconvenience of switching plates etc so I'm not sure which way to go either.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    a good set of barbells and a pull-up rack of some sort will get you close to everything the TG can offer at a fraction of the price.

Just feel the need to amend this comment - they will not get you 'close to'. They will exceed what it can do. You will also get a more comprehensive workout.

This sort of toy really are for people who think there is an easy and convenient way to do this stuff when really it's about doing it the old fashioned way. Eat right and pick up and put down heavy weights in the time honoured manner.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Total Gym Pros - Don't need a lot of weights and or equipment. You can do a great number of exercises on the Total Gym.
    Doesn't take up much space
    You won't drop a weight on your foot or need a spotter while doing exercises on the total gym.

Total Gym Cons: You will not get ripped on this machine. It is good for basic muscle tone.
    Unless you get the weight attachment for it there a limit on how much weight you can add. I believe on the highest incline setting I can only do 60% of my body weight. This if fine for many exercises but not leg ones.
    As you lose weight the exercises become easier because you are lifting your own weight. You can always increase the incline or reps but there are limits. Ideally you want to increase the weight you lift as you lose weight and get more fit.

That said I have one and I like using it for some exercises but I use it in conjunction with dumbbells and barbells.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Another pro I would add is that you can do the workout quickly because you're not spending time switching out weights and you can even move to doing a different exercise without getting off of the thing.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    a good set of barbells and a pull-up rack of some sort will get you close to everything the TG can offer at a fraction of the price.

Just feel the need to amend this comment - they will not get you 'close to'. They will exceed what it can do. You will also get a more comprehensive workout.

This sort of toy really are for people who think there is an easy and convenient way to do this stuff when really it's about doing it the old fashioned way. Eat right and pick up and put down heavy weights in the time honoured manner.

Biased much? ;-)

My point -- which I've really stated a couple of times now, but once more for old time's sake -- is that there are some things that the TG and the like make convenient. For me, most of that boils down to not needing a spotter, not having to swap out plates or keep a bunch of barbells around, and not needing a separate pull-up bar.

Both of "easy and convenient" come down to what you're looking for and what you're looking to achieve.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Biased much? ;-)

My point -- which I've really stated a couple of times now, but once more for old time's sake -- is that there are some things that the TG and the like make convenient. For me, most of that boils down to not needing a spotter, not having to swap out plates or keep a bunch of barbells around, and not needing a separate pull-up bar.

Both of "easy and convenient" come down to what you're looking for and what you're looking to achieve.

Absolutely biased! :)

I'll go with the argument that for some people they may be more convenient. Just not that they can provide an equivalent, never mind better workout than free weights.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So, a lot of bias towards free weights here... My own perspective is that free weights are quite likely "the best" way to go, but that doesn't mean there aren't other ways.

You are correct, there are many ways to exercise but consider this. Think of exercise as money and think of exercise as an investment opportunity, and exercise is a guaranteed return on investment right? If you had $100 to invest and you're guaranteed a return on wherever you invest it, would you invest it in something returning 25%, 50%, or 90%? The obvious answer is you would invest it in the 90% because there's no risk, it's a guranteed return. Same thing with exercise. Why invest your time that has some short-term and minimal long-term return or value? Why not invest in a good free-weight setup like others have mentioned and maximize your return on your time investment in exercise. You can spend 45-minutes on a Total Gym or you can spend 45-minutes cranking out some reps with a BB and maybe some DB's for better benefit.
    Eat right and pick up and put down heavy weights in the time honoured manner.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you want to get anything get the following..

pull up bar
    bow flex select tech dumbbels that go up to 90pds
    straight bar for deadlifting etc..

if you have room in your home for a squat rack that would be sweet too...as it is the only thing I am lacking..

OR - you could just get a gym membership and have all this at the gym :) I am probably going to get a gym membership just so I can use the dam squat rack lol ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I personally would prefer a power rack, adjustable bench, barbell, weight plates, bumper plates, floor pad

Me and you both bro!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Get it, or Chuck Norris will round-house kick your face off.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I suggest going to a fitness equipment store and trying it out first to see if you like it. That's what I did. I went to Sears. #hatedit
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I bought one but would recommend you look at a Bowflex. The Bowflex is better.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    Absolutely, dude! I'm getting back into triathlons and the TG is the ONLY method of resistance training I use. It's brilliant! You can't go wrong. Unless you want to be a heavy duty bodybuilder, this thing is the only thing you need to lift with.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    update - I got a gym membership and freaking love it! Waayyyyy better than working out from home...been at it for like four months now...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If space is a concern then get a Horizontal Dip & Chin-Up Station, a Hex Bar and start buying plates. Far more useful than the Total Gym. I guarantee that Dips and Chin's are far better than anything on the Total Gym.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If space is a concern then get a Horizontal Dip & Chin-Up Station, a Hex Bar and start buying plates. Far more useful than the Total Gym. I guarantee that Dips and Chin's are far better than anything on the Total Gym.

Total Gym's useful for working up to full-blown dips & chin/pull-ups though. When I started, there was no way I was doing anything resembling a real dip or a real pull-up. :)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    chuck liddell jack rack instead plz
  • susan45013
    susan45013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had a total gym. I hated it. Ended up being a great shelf for awhile till i gave it away for free. Couldnt even sell it.