arsenic in... RICE ?

Options
13»

Replies

• bleacheblonde
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it....I have eaten so much rice in my time- in my bodybuilding days I would eat 8-10 cups of rice a day and did that for 20 plus years.

ZOMG how are you not dead??? Perhaps you could make some money selling a vaccine made of your saliva or something, because you must have some sort of immunity :tongue:
  • satishchannar
    satishchannar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Being from South India me and my whole family eat rice 2 times a day for 7 days a week. We have been using rice for generations. I dont think this arsenic news is true.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    but I think the real concern is what farming practices need to change in order to prevent further increase.

The issue of "increasing arsenic" has less to do with current farming practice then where the rice is being farmed. there were higher level of arsenic in southern grown rice. this is not due to southern farmers using pesticides or unusual farming practices, but due to the fact that rice farming is taking over old cotton farms. residue in the soil from cotton farming practices had caused the up tic in arsenic level. this will fade over time back to natural occurring levels.

But both rice farmers and food producers are working to make lessen this issue on several levels.

But I agree that the story is much adieu about nothing. We all have much more to "fear" from a car ride or eating fast food then we do from this issue.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've eaten rice a gazillion times in my life, no adverse effects as of yet. There's always some 'alarming' report coming out saying don't eat this or don't eat that. If we took them all to heart there would be nothing left in this world to eat. I'm sure having a bowl of rice once in awhile is not going to do you in.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Apparently US rice carries "1.5-5x more arsenic than rice from Europe, India, and Bangladesh", because of 1) rice growing conditions (lots of water), 2) the persistence of arsenic from 80s cotton growing, and 3) large scale poultry farming (chicken poop)

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2012/09/waiter-theres-arsenic-my-rice

It's true that sensationalism usually wins out over fact in news, but it's worth at least looking into the actual story before coming to a conclusion.

This is what I was going to say. That, and they didn't come out and say "don't eat rice or rice products" but suggested limiting your intake of rice products. Don't take it from me, take it from them, there's a table at the bottom that has suggested servings per week.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm
  • Rdahl2
    Options
    Ive heard about this and im not going to stop eating rice either because now these days media and "research" is telling us that alot of things are "bad" for us but we have been eating these foods forever and nothing has happened. If i were to eliminate all the bad I might as well just not eat period lol! Thats just me. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    but I think the real concern is what farming practices need to change in order to prevent further increase.

The issue of "increasing arsenic" has less to do with current farming practice then where the rice is being farmed. there were higher level of arsenic in southern grown rice. this is not due to southern farmers using pesticides or unusual farming practices, but due to the fact that rice farming is taking over old cotton farms. residue in the soil from cotton farming practices had caused the up tic in arsenic level. this will fade over time back to natural occurring levels.

But both rice farmers and food producers are working to make lessen this issue on several levels.

But I agree that the story is much adieu about nothing. We all have much more to "fear" from a car ride or eating fast food then we do from this issue.

I don't disagree, but where the rice is grown and soil conditions are "farming practices"? I wasn't suggesting anyone was spraying rice with arsenic. Whether the story is much ado about nothing depends on which story you read. There is a concern.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    You guys know that arsenic is found naturally in foods, right? Right? And to have any negative effects would be next to impossible, right? Right?

:grumble:

Yes, but if you read the article, you would see that the arsenic they found is INORGANIC arsenic. Totally different, FYI. Thought I should clear that up. :smile:
    Yes, the inorganic arsenic is found bc it is converted in the chicken's guts. I got that.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    It isn't just rice.. =/ Do some research. They've found it in little kids apple juice.. :sick: There are no regulations or anything on this kind of thing.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Rice is a part of asian diet and goodness to hear this is veryy veryyy hard. Lol.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You guys know that arsenic is found naturally in foods, right? Right? And to have any negative effects would be next to impossible, right? Right?

:grumble:

Yes, but if you read the article, you would see that the arsenic they found is INORGANIC arsenic. Totally different, FYI. Thought I should clear that up. :smile:
    Yes, the inorganic arsenic is found bc it is converted in the chicken's guts. I got that.

Why so hostile dude? I saw it on the news last night too. It stated that north americans that ate rice daily had approximately 44% more arsenic levels in their bodies than ones who didnt eat rice daily. Levels in brown rice were found to be higher than white. It basically said to eat everything in moderation and you'll be fine, which I agree with...
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The state of our "media" in presenting these things..

health update - "rice contains arsenic"
    VERY next article
    Japanese study finds that changing the oils used in cooking can drop blood pressures (drop in the bad cholesterol too)... which oil is suggested? RICE OIL
  • deadheadcheri
    Options
    This is why I buy organic and hope like hell that it really is.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It isn't just rice.. =/ Do some research. They've found it in little kids apple juice.. :sick: There are no regulations or anything on this kind of thing.

God dammit. That's the last time I steal apple juice off little kids. :mad: