Is there such a thing as too much exercise??

Options
Hello all!

I'm already doing POWER90 6 days a week and Taekwondo 3 times a week. I feel great and I think I can do a little more so I was thinking about doing C25K (http://www.c25k.com/).

Do you guys think it would be too much? I tend to start as a lion, get hurt and have to stop, but this time I think I have a good base from the training that I already do..

Your opinion?

JF

Replies

• krisloock
    krisloock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question by saying you often get hurt! Yes, there is such a thing as too much exercise. It is often referred to as overtraining and can result in injury. You need to make sure that body has enough down-time to repair and replenish after vigorous exercise. I would say the schedule you have now is more than enough! Just my opinion....you know your body best! Good luck!
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    If you are injuring yourself, it is too much. Working out hard six days a week is great, just make sure you are eating your calories back each day, but you should rest or have an easy workout on the seventh day. Also, muscle groups need 48 hours to repair; that's when muscle is actually built. So if you do Power90, make sure you do one muscle group one day and a different group the next day, giving 48 hours in between working the same group of muscles. It is better to be the turtle than the lion. Instead of starting out great guns and then dropping off or stopping, take it a bit slower and be able to sustain that for a long period of time...or forever! Good luck.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    yes, being injured right now myself I say defiinitely. I wish I hadn't been stubborn and listened to my body after the first few aches and pains. Now I am nursing a torn tendon in my foot and it hurts to walk. Please be careful. I kept pushing and pushing because I could and it felt good, and then came a twinge, and then a pain and well, you know how that goes.
    overtraining and overuse injuries, my Dr. said he sees them all the time
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer is stating that what you are doing is a big no no! She said you are setting yourself up for failure and looking for the quick loss. She said it doesn't happen like this and you will either burn yourself out, injure yourself or just be so tired after a while that you will not longer exercise at all.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K with PodRunner on iTunes. Honestly, it eases you into it. As long as you are giving yourself a day to recover somewhere each week, you should be ok.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I was doing Insanity and C25K at the same time up until a week ago. I have NEVER been hurt before in my life until now and I know it was because I was doing two a days with those programs.

The body needs time to recover.....ESPECIALLY if you are doing beachbody programs because those are no joke.

If you know you are prone to injury I would back off on a couple things.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    I should've add in there that running is one of my job requirement...I just stopped doing it after my ACL replacement and never got back into it..so it's kind of a must for me ^^
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would say, if you want to run, run when you feel like it however, don't commit yourself to a formal program as you might end up being overwhelmed sooner or later. You could also do the C25K once Power90 or TKD is done (if there are any breaks). Lastly, I would suggest waiting until you are a bit lighter before starting to run as it can be some rough on the knees to jump around on the extra weight hence increasing your chance of injury. Besides, you might welcome a change in routine in a couple months when you plateau and you body is used to your current exercise program.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    considering all of this I think i'll stick to my original goal and w8 until i'm 250- to start! Thx for the input!!