Is it ok to occassionally go over your calories?

Options
Is it ok to splurge once in awhile? I am dedicated to losing weight and getting into an excercise routine but sometimes I'd like a pizza and a drink!
Thoughts please!

Replies

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you!!!! I use it as reward almost......even if it is ultimately over my calories. If I run 5km today I will have a beer (bud light lime or molson 67 sublime) and a couple of slices of pizza.... no run no beer and pizza! I have noticed that i run more and crave less!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yes, treat yourself but don't go overboard. You have to live your life and cannot deprive yourself all the time. Just enjoy in moderation. A couple slices and one drink, not a whole pizza and 5 beers. Enjoy!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I did yesterday, I had McDonalds and went out for Wings and drinks yesterday... I didn't log it though. :D
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I feel it is! Many people have suggested that having a few set days where you deliberately go over your calorie limit is good for your metabolism. It gives it a real calorie problem to deal with and can give you a boost if your weight loss has been slow. It's also totally fine to have smaller portions of things you like so that they still fit into your goal for the day.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    As long as you are eating healthy and treating your body right a majority of the time, it's fine to splurge every now and then.
  • smaschin
    Options
    no you will die
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I went through the same things two weeks ago. I wasn't sure to have it or not and I did. I went right back on my plan the following day and I was fine. Sometimes it is better to have what you crave than to obsess over it for days (that was my case). I am now planning my next treat meal once I have lost 10 pounds.
  • b1essed
    Options
    My goal is 1200 calories but if I am hungry I will go over....I exercise so it all balances out
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes about this in his or her own way. Personally, I never planned for cheat days or planned to splurge but when I was feeling simply overwhelmed by hunger, I would give in to portion size somewhat but did not cave and eat bad food. Pizza is not bad but portion size can be.

The short answer is that to lose weight, you don't have to be perfect. But the more we cheat the longer it takes. I do believe that when we do badly, beating ourselves is of no help. Just move on and try again.
  • LaylaJo
    LaylaJo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    no you will die

LOL Ok in all seriousness. It's OK to go over your limit. But don't over do it. A slice of pizza is OK...but only one day. And be honest about what you eat. Log everything! The goal is to change your eating habits. Start making healthy choices. It takes time and effort. If you don't stick to it, you will not see results. Good luck!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Its perfectly fine. I do it once a week and still lost 80 pounds.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's fine to splurge once in a while. You might even find that you can fit pizza and a drink into your calorie goal. I fit the foods I like into my daily calorie and macronutrient goals, and I feel like I can continue eating this way forever because it doesn't feel like a restrictive diet.