HIGH protein diet...

Options
Hello All.... well I'm having some health issues yet again and I went back to the doctor, I just seem to have trouble digesting what seems like everything and I eat very healthy and carefully. I'm going to be getting more tests soon... So anyways she told me to really cut back on the carbs which I didn't think I was eating THAT much of but I am a runner so I need them but I guess my body doesn't like them... my question is are any of you on a high protein diet and working out hard? I'm just afraid I won't be able to work out as hard and as much as I want to.. what do you eat besides turkey and chicken?! Thanks... :smile:

~Leash :heart:

Replies

• 33KIKI
    33KIKI Posts: 304
    Options
    I take Protein shakes at least 1-2 xday- they sell them at Costco and you can substitue for a meal if needed. Or you can check out protein powders. Don't know if that helps or not. Good luck!
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a runner and lift weights. I eat high protein - have to for the weight lifting. High protein foods include: egg beaters, cottage cheese, yogurt, milk products, etc. tuna, fish, etc. I don't eat a lot of carbs, but it is hard.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I should try and eat more eggs... maybe boiled eggs?? I do drink protein shakes but thats not really a meal for me but I need to make sure to drink those more often, thanks!

• aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    now question when you say egg beaters. deos that include just egg whites or the yolk as well?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    alicia, can you give a little more detail about why your doc told you to cut back on the carbs? That sounds very odd to me. Did they discover that you have some kind of a food allergy? I mean, running hard REQUIRES carbs essentially. I mean you can do it on a low carb diet, but it's very difficult to do and requires pinpoint control of your calcium, potassium, and sodium intake, as well as your water intake and your exercise types and times.
  • VballLeash
    Options
    alicia, can you give a little more detail about why your doc told you to cut back on the carbs? That sounds very odd to me. Did they discover that you have some kind of a food allergy? I mean, running hard REQUIRES carbs essentially. I mean you can do it on a low carb diet, but it's very difficult to do and requires pinpoint control of your calcium, potassium, and sodium intake, as well as your water intake and your exercise types and times.

Well it seems that the day after I eat a lot of carbs I feel very sluggish and crappy in general... at first they were thinking it could be celiac disease, still could be according to my inconclusive test results... but she seems to think that my intestines don't react well when I eat a lot of them, I ate a protein bar and 2 tortillas last sunday night and felt awful the morning after, and then tuesday I was still feeling sick but I ate carbs like normal cause I hadn't gone to the doc yet and I felt worse the next day, I agree I feel like I really need them but she said to try it for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference, in the mean time they sent me to a gastroloigist (sp?) and they are going to run some tests when they have an appointment available, hopefully soon... I just am tired of feeling so sick and I'll try anything but I need to have energy, I haven't been able to run when feeling like this! Thanks for the help...

• VballLeash
    Options
    And I am eating complex healthy carbs...
  • PrimalB
    Options
    if i understand what you have said correctly, here are my thoughts:

is your doctor asking you to cut carbs or to cut your intake of gluten and grains?

if you are testing for a gluten intolerance, you have to know there is a difference between carbs and grains. i don't think your dr. wants you to cut ALL carbs, but instead just wants you to limit gluten (and possibly grains in general). so, sure, this means no loaves of wheat bread; if you are fond of breads, there are other flours out there that will keep the carb count up without adding gluten (see: bob's red mill brand -- gluten free pancake, bread, and cake mixes). otherwise, fruits (fresh and dried) are great ways to keep glycogen levels up for running/training. i am a gluten intolerant cyclist and usually pack along a handful of nuts and dried mango/pineapple/etc on long rides.

am i off base on this one?
  • VballLeash
    Options

is your doctor asking you to cut carbs or to cut your intake of gluten and grains?

if you are testing for a gluten intolerance, you have to know there is a difference between carbs and grains. i don't think your dr. wants you to cut ALL carbs, but instead just wants you to limit gluten (and possibly grains in general). so, sure, this means no loaves of wheat bread; if you are fond of breads, there are other flours out there that will keep the carb count up without adding gluten (see: bob's red mill brand -- gluten free pancake, bread, and cake mixes). otherwise, fruits (fresh and dried) are great ways to keep glycogen levels up for running/training. i am a gluten intolerant cyclist and usually pack along a handful of nuts and dried mango/pineapple/etc on long rides.

Oh I'm still eating fruits thats for sure! :smile: But she did say all heavy carbs like bread, potatoes, rice, and such... I don't know if its a gluten intolerance but I think thats what they are trying to figure out but I asked her about eating like gluten free stuff and she said at first she wants me to cut out the carbs in general... its very confusing thats for sure lol So your not off base at all, you were very helpful, its good to hear you can still train without the gluten, I just am worried about carbs in general cause as you know thats a major fuel source! I just hope I feel better and hopefully its not gluten, maybe I just have to eat less carbs than most people....

• Texemgirl
    Options
    Leash, you sound exactly like my mom's neighbor. He does a lot of long-distance running, biking, etc., and he started to feel very sluggish. His doctor put him on a gluten-free diet, and it wasn't long (maybe 1-2 weeks) that he was feeling great again. He still eats brown rice, potatoes, corn, etc., but he stays away from wheat, barley and rye. He tested negative for celiac disease, but his system just wasn't tolerating gluten. Not sure if this helps, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
  • Texemgirl
    Options
    Oops! Guess you answered my question/suggestion while I was on phone during my reply to your post! LOL!
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Oops! Guess you answered my question/suggestion while I was on phone during my reply to your post! LOL!

haha yea kinda, thanks! That may end up being what I have to do though!

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options

Oh I'm still eating fruits thats for sure! :smile: But she did say all heavy carbs like bread, potatoes, rice, and such... I don't know if its a gluten intolerance but I think thats what they are trying to figure out but I asked her about eating like gluten free stuff and she said at first she wants me to cut out the carbs in general... its very confusing thats for sure lol So your not off base at all, you were very helpful, its good to hear you can still train without the gluten, I just am worried about carbs in general cause as you know thats a major fuel source! I just hope I feel better and hopefully its not gluten, maybe I just have to eat less carbs than most people....

Oh, I WISH I could remember the name of the program I saw. There was a gal with severe stomach pains that got worse when she had carbs. She was a runner, too. It was a very rare intestinal disorder that was genetic. I am going to search to see if I can find it and let you know.

Ok, I cannot find it. Is this fairly new or have you always had this problem? I do remember that the gal on the show had problems from childhood.
  • VballLeash
    Options

Oh, I WISH I could remember the name of the program I saw. There was a gal with severe stomach pains that got worse when she had carbs. She was a runner, too. It was a very rare intestinal disorder that was genetic. I am going to search to see if I can find it and let you know.

Ok, I cannot find it. Is this fairly new or have you always had this problem? I do remember that the gal on the show had problems from childhood.

Well its been happening mostly a little over a year... I always had a sensitive stomach but not like this! Thanks for your help :smile:

• spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    That sounds very much like a situation a friend of mine was in, it wasn't just the gluten in the carbs but one of the starches as well that was making her ill. But while she can't eat potato, things like sweet potato and pumpkin, both pretty high carb vegetables and of course fruit like you were saying she can eat and doesn't make her sick, but still provides energy and carbs for your body.

Also stuff like dried fruit might be an option to help get your carbs up as its very energy dense.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'd tend to agree with the others on here that mentioned the difference between gluten, starches, and other carbohydrates.

There's a big difference between lowering ones carbs from say 250 grams a day to maybe 125 or 150 a day, and removing them outright (I.E. going below 80 carbs a day, which is most likely ketogenic for you).

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you had some kind of a problem with a specific type of carbohydrate, it's uncommon, but it happens. I hope the gastro can figure it out for you. But that is what I was talking about, I seriously doubt carbs are the issue, more likely it's a specific class of carbs (maybe grains). Did they do an allergy test yet for you on foods? I imagine that's the first thing the gastro will do.

I HOPE it's not an issue with your body processing carbs, that's a difficult lifestyle. Not impossible, but just takes a lot more work to get right, but hey, at least your breath will smell fruity :tongue: (fruity taste in your mouth is a side effect of a ketogenic diet).
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hey Leash! Sorry that you're having issues. I got diagnosed w/ IBS about 6 years ago,but I've found that I can control most of it through diet.

First of all, I do NOT eat anything w/ Inulin fiber (Fiber One products have a lot of them, I used to eat a lot of Fiber One cereal). Carbs that seem to ok for me to tolerate are oatmeal (old fashioned or steel cut oats), brown rice, sweet potatoes, barley, and some whole wheat (but not a lot). I get a majority of my carbs from fruit and veggies and dairy (skim milk and plain yogurt still have carbs also).

Good luck figuring it out. It was mainly trial and error for me. And as you know I run and need my carbs, so let me know if you hae any more questions!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Leash, you sound exactly like my mom's neighbor. He does a lot of long-distance running, biking, etc., and he started to feel very sluggish. His doctor put him on a gluten-free diet, and it wasn't long (maybe 1-2 weeks) that he was feeling great again. He still eats brown rice, potatoes, corn, etc., but he stays away from wheat, barley and rye. He tested negative for celiac disease, but his system just wasn't tolerating gluten. Not sure if this helps, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

That's my story EXACTLY! 100%! :smile:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Thanks you guys that does help! Jess, I'm so glad to hear that you can work out hard with not a huge amount, I'm getting mine from fruits at the moment but I just need bread haha... I'm going to eat potatoes I think and see how my stomach does with that!

• lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Hope the tests figure out exactly what the issue is! Protein powders help quite a bit, I prefer Whey protein, but you may need to try different ones. They also have powdered egg whites that you can add to things, but I prefer the whey protein (I get mine at trader joes) designer whey chocolate protein powder, tastes good with 1/2 cup milk/ice/ banana and a little water in the blender
    You may also want to try greek yogurt, there are flavored and unflavored kinds (that you can add fruit and honey to) Higher in protein and low in carbs! Almonds are good snacks to have in the car too! Hope you feel better quick!:flowerforyou: