Do you use stevia?

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I used to use it until I became pregnant and my doctor advised against it. I’ve been using splenda ever since.

That is very intriguing, I have heard Splenda is horrible (pure chemicals) so I switched to Stevia.

FYI Splenda is made from sugar by changing the properties of a molecule.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I always drink it with my iced tea. I have it all the time.
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i would do some studies about it first. there are a few studies saying it is a carcinogen, but it is just too new to the fda to know for sure.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Oh, so I started with Splenda, heard the horror stories, switched to Agave, heard bad things and now i'm with Stevia and hearing back things. All I want is one pack of sweetener in my coffee - what's a girl to do? LOL
  • MizKittyB
    MizKittyB Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia, in small amounts, but I agree it has a bit of an aftertaste. I tried agave, but after reading some articles about how agave is bad (I'm not a dietician or expert, but the argument had something to do with the fact agave was pure fructose, instead of other types of natural sugars, and the body processed it differently), I've skipped agave. I'm also allergic to something in certain brands of tequila, and I notice a slight headache when I use agave; easier to skip it entirely, in my pantry.

I still prefer Splenda/sucralose when I need more sweet (two packets in my one daily cup of coffee :drinker: ); for everything else (cooking/baking), I reach for brown sugar. Of course, I'm someone who LOVES sugary carbs.

Just my $0.02 :smile:
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't like stevia at all. I used to use sweet n low, but I didn't like using artifical sweetners. Then I just used xylitol, for a while but it still had 10 calories per tsp. FINALLY, They came out with a sweetner called Nectresse 100% natural and made from monk fruit. No weird after taste to me- AND I LOVE IT!! YAY! I use it in my coffee every am, I put it in my smoothies or protein shakes that I add fruit to- to make it a bit sweeter. You can find the Nectresse by the Stevia and sweetners in Walmart. It's kinda expensive, but it's worth it to find something natural that I actually like. It seems similar to agave syrup in a way, if you like the taste of that, but zero calories.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I used to use it until I became pregnant and my doctor advised against it. I’ve been using splenda ever since.

That is very intriguing, I have heard Splenda is horrible (pure chemicals) so I switched to Stevia.

The reasoning behind my doctor's advice came from the fact there was no long-term research on the affects of stevia on a fetus. It could be harmless but I wasn’t going to risk it.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Oh, so I started with Splenda, heard the horror stories, switched to Agave, heard bad things and now i'm with Stevia and hearing back things. All I want is one pack of sweetener in my coffee - what's a girl to do? LOL

Sugar :laugh:
  • herrytews
    Options
    The advantage of Stevia is that it is apparently more natural than most of the sweeteners (no aspartame or sucralose). I use it, but it's not as pleasant as Splenda (it has more of a saccharin taste). However the biggest benefit is that I am on a low carb diet and the particular Stevia that I buy is CARB FREE! (Note: some of the Stevia ones aren't carb free).
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it. I know a lot of folks like it but to me it tastes super gross. I generally just use sweet N low.

But, as a side note, since sugar was kind of a vice for me, I focused my weight loss journey on learning how to go without sugar as opposed to just replacing it.

This. Tried replacing sugar and it just kept the addiction going. Slowly phased it out and I don't miss it.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I advise against it...real sugar is better then fake.. Both are bad

I'd like to hear your argument on the matter. People say that all the time, but they don't actually know the reason they think it's bad.. Stevia is a herb, so natural right?

Well first we could look at my health then yours... But thats not in debate here...

We could also argue all day, however since research is actually inconclusive on if its truly "safe" then I see no logic in mindless debating. I will say that it is derived from an herb, and unless natural and not processed its crap. That said, not all herbs are healthy for you...

Agiain I simply advise against it.. Things in like that and sugar are ok in little amounts. However people always go over board. Personally I dont crave sweets as much and have my self discipline in check. When I wat sugar, I want it real.
  • sadein
    Options
    Sensitivity to bitter taste is genetic apparently. I think stevia, in any amount is horrible. My friend thinks it's great, she doesn't think it's bitter. IF I want sweet, I go with Splenda or the real thing. I've tried agave, it's not bad, but it's still calories. I'll take my agave distilled.
  • norge1980
    Options
    From my understanding sugar and any substitute has the same effect on your body. I drink lots of water and I do get tired of plain water. I feel that if you moderate it while you're trying tolose weight or just plain lifestyle change then adding any sweetener maybe ok.... like anything else moderation...... it does have a "diet" tatse....... just have to decide what you want to do... I add some type of flavoring once or twice a day to my water.......
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use fruit sugar..Not sure if its the same. I do know that small changes like changing to sweetner instead of sugar or skim milk instead of semi skim adds up to a lot of saved calories at the end of the month/year.I have to have something in my coffee..so fruit sugar is really sweet plus I dont get that massive insulin rise.So dont crave more :)
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like it. I use it mostly in iced tea, coffee...things ike that. :flowerforyou:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the only natural calorie free sweetener available. Big Sugar and Monsanto blocked FDA approval as a sweetener for over a decade. it was sold as a nutritional supplement only. Because Stevia is natural it cannot be patented.
    Stevia is healthier than sugar and all the other artificial sweeteners.
    It can be used in baking as well because it doesn't break down under heat like some sweeteners do.
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    I use it lightly. I thought it was going to be awesome, so I ordered 3 bags of it. Didn't know it was going to have that nasty aftertaste. I like splenda much better. Just because Stevia is natural doesn't mean it is safer than splenda. There are many plants that are fatal if consumed by humans.
  • delilah47
    Options
    I use fruit sugar..Not sure if its the same. I do know that small changes like changing to sweetner instead of sugar or skim milk instead of semi skim adds up to a lot of saved calories at the end of the month/year.I have to have something in my coffee..so fruit sugar is really sweet plus I dont get that massive insulin rise.So dont crave more :)

Fruit sugar = fructose
  • delilah47
    Options
    If you use dry stevia, it's not without it's processing chemicals. According to thier own website, they use ion-exchange resins.

Ion exchange resins are used in a variety of specialized applications such as chemical processing, pharmaceuticals, mining, and food and beverage processing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I would like to make another small change to my diet and was wondering if stevia instead of sugar would be a good idea. Do you like it and how do you use it? Thanks
    My husband is type 2 diabetic, so he uses stevia in coffee and tea. I use it occasionally for baked goods, like the Truvia baking blend. I like Truvia brand the best. It tastes just like sugar to me.