fit , but,......

Options
I am reasonably fit. I eat clean for the most part, I can run 2-3 miles at 5.5 click( with a few walks depending on TOM) I can easily accomplish a 12 minute bodyrock session. I can do 10-15 push ups.. but I'll be damned if I can do one single pull up.
All I want, is to do 10 pull ups. real. marine. pull ups. Straight up and down . Anyone can learn to kip. I cannot afford a gym, but I have a dip station thing, and a in door pull up contraption. How do I support my body weight until I can do some?

Replies

• zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Since you do not have access to a lat pull down machine, your best bet in my opinion is to do negatives on pull ups. Get to the top, and lower yourself down slowly.

Good thing about pull ups though is once you start dropping weight they get easier and easier.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You can do negatives.
    Jump up and then lower yourself down, but in a very slow, controlled movement.
    You can do a few sets of 3 to 5.

(I just posted the same advice for pushups... I'm a broken record today, LOL.)

But seriously this is how I bridged the gap. I did assisted pullups for years, and couldn't quite make it to the real thing.
    Once I committed to a couple of sessions of negatives each week, within a month I could do it.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey, there are a lot of programs to learn to do this. Try... http://twentypullups.com/node/9
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump...my entire life I have not been able to do a pullup. I would love to do one too. One day...
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Negatives, or assisted pullups using a resistance band.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can do negatives.

But seriously this is how I bridged the gap. I did assisted pullups for years, and couldn't quite make it to the real thing.
    Once I committed to a couple of sessions of negatives each week, within a month I could do it.

^^^^^THIS :)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    google progressive pull up workouts
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can use chair assist pull ups until you don't need it.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Like this tutorial:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

Good luck! :)

p.s. you can do it!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I did negatives.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! Makes tons of sense! Sorry i havent had a chance to reply until now! I will post my updates to this thread. You guys are great!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    end table
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    end table

</body>
    </html>
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    cool..
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can do negatives.

^^^^^THIS :)

Totally agree! Negatives are the way.
    I went from doing only 1 pull up to 3 sets of 10 no problems!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Forget being positive ... I am totally going ... negative !!!!

Seriously .... I needed this info ... great post !

:flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    end table

</body>
    </html>

HAHAHA fck...well played dude!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    10 pullups is very difficult! Most people I know can't do 5, yet alone 10. Marines only requires 3 minimum to pass PT test.