fell walking (uk)

Options

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Or he could walk circles around you, literally. :wink:

Okay, seems like it might be a little tougher to do with fell walking. But, my partner can outrun me all day long. Still, when we were running, we ran together. He just ran ahead, and when he got a certain distance, he turned and ran back towards me. When he passed me the other way, he turned around again. Might seem a little awkward. But we got to spend time together, and we both got our exercise as I was building up my speed.

We don't have much time now that work is picking up, and I get my exercise super early in the morning while he and everyone else in the house is sleeping.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    "CATBELLS" !! :happy: :laugh: *remembers* :happy:

We had a holiday in the Lake District, me, OH & 4 kids. OH & eldest went off to do Scafell Pike, I took the others to Catbells (the first & lowest of a line of hills bordering Derwentwater). The youngest child, then aged 18 months, walked up Catbells like a breeze saying "Up there!" and pointing up the hill. Looked at the next hill - "Up there!" and charged off up it.
    Long story short, small child did whole line of hills - all the way there and all the way back! His summary? "Been Catbells!"

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :happy:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Cat_Bells_and_Friars_Crag_zpsa31afbcd.jpg
    The classic view of Catbells from near Friars Crag on the opposite side of Derwent Water
  • beattie1
    Options
    Aaaahhhh :happy: *floats off on clouds...*

Toddler walked from right side of pic, out of the left hand side of the pic (Maiden Moor) & back. Champion!

Thanks for finding that Treetops57, the Lake District is one of my favourite places....
  • marieteresa41
    Options
    I'm hoping I've managed to upload a pic of striding edge......
  • marieteresa41
    Options
    Didn't work :sad:
  • treetop57
    Options
    eab52ff1242484114335ab3b51d01a94_zps101a2896.jpg

I'm hoping I've managed to upload a pic of striding edge......

Photobucket always capitalizes the IMG, but MFP needs it to be lower case. All I did was change "IMG" to "img".
  • marieteresa41
    Options
    Why thank you muchly! Did you just change the IMG to img at the beginning of the address?
  • treetop57
    Options
    Yep. Simple as that!
  • treetop57
    Options
    I know it's a completely different part of the world with completely different climate and geology and flora . . . but the Striding Edge reminds me a ridge I once crossed near Haleakala crater on the Hawaiian island Maui.

haleakala1_zps9b992633.jpg

I used to have a picture of myself standing on that ridge with the fog rolling up from the Pacific 7200 ft below.

"The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path of Salvation is hard." --Katha Upanishad
  • marieteresa41
    Options
    Thanks again.

I can definitely see the resemblance to striding edge :smile:
  • rachy_09
    rachy_09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel,

I've done a lot of hillwalking myself & Helvellyn can be quite a tough one, fitness & nerves wise depending on the route you take up & then down! But it is a good one to do & def a challenge. Go for it ! Though I probably wouldn't do it your own though? If you go up either via striding edge or squirrel edge there's a bit of a scramble at the end to get to the top. Bit nerve wracking - for me anyway. Striding edge def isn't for the faint hearted especially on a windy day :-) You can do Helvellyn nice & steady though.

If you were looking to go down that way you could stay at or near Keswick & do Catbells as a starter for your fitness & then look at Helvellyn and/or Scafell Pike plus there are loads of smaller hils in the area to get you started.

I don't really know Durham that well so don't know what's around there hills wise. Any hill work you do will help - including intervals on a slope/small hill etc.

Personally I have found that doing weight training, spinning & interval trg on the runner (HIIT) have increased my fitness & I can get up hills a lot easier & more quickly now.

Good luck with it.

Marie

Hi I've actually done cat bells and a hill called Roseberry topping found them very tough! Coming dweeb was worse than going up. And he's taking me up hellevelyn ,but he doesn't think I can do it do it's knocking my confidence a bit!
  • treetop57
    Options
    280px-Roseberry_topping_north_side.jpg
    Roseberry Topping as seen from the north

220px-Rj_roseberry_topping.jpg
    Aerial photo of Roseberry Topping

exps18706_TH10299D5.jpg
    White cake with Raspberry Topping
  • marieteresa41
    Options
    Dont let it! I did Helvellyn via swirrel edge in April - with my friend, her fella & her parents (oh & 5 dogs - & 2 of them are oaps!). My friends parents are in their 60s & they managed it with no problem at all. We came down a slightly longer but easier way than striding edge because they didn't want to do it but it was a good walk & thoroughly enjoyable.

If they can do it - and they did Scafell 2 days later - then you certainly can.

It would be more challenging going up striding & down swirrel but it's shorter & more hair raising & challenging in a good way.

Is there a friend who could go with you to keep you company when your b/f goes racing ahead?!? :smile:

From a personal point of view I do find it very hard to walk slower than I'm use to & did go ahead of the others in April - but only because they were ok with me doing that. Maybe your b/f finds it difficult as well?

Your general cardio fitness is key here. You won't be able to match your b/f initially (he could prob run up Helvellyn!) but if you get fitter & get out in the hills regularly then you soon will.

Makes me want to get out again!
  • rachy_09
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! I'm def going to do it! Whether I make it to the top or not well see hahaha! But feeling alot better since I posted on here! You all have made me feel like I can do it and I really appreciate it! :) if I get up I'll take a pic n post it! Not going till the 5th oct like
  • beattie1
    Options
    LOL!

If you're looking for the other part of the Helvellyn horseshoe to post a pic, it was cutely misspelled in an earlier post. It's Swirral Edge, not Squirrel Edge! And it looks very like Striding Edge that was posted earlier.

http://www.snapthelakes.co.uk/gallery/plog-content/images/visitor-gallery/andy-wallace/swirral-edge.jpg

I'm failing to find an image I can copy here..
  • starrlette
    Options
    www.fellwalkingclub.co.uk/advice/other/what-is-fellwalking.html

That's what I got when I googled fell walking (to find out what is was) it looks like they have info on groups. Good luck!
  • marieteresa41
    Options
    :laugh: :happy:

There def should be a 'like' button!
  • marieteresa41
    Options
    Have a photo of Swirral edge but still struggling to post photos :ohwell:

I'll keep trying!

Rachel - look forward to hearing about your trip up Helvellyn in Oct.

Good luck & have fun.

Good pub on the way back down :smile:
  • rachy_09
    Options
    THanks for all your help! And advice ! I'm stating positive n will be posting pics if I make it haha