Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Options
Hello, I was just wondering if any of you suffer from IBS? I'm in the midst of testing for Colitis, Diverticulitis, Chrons and a bunch of other things, but my doctor has said that it may all boil down to stress, axiety and IBS.

I've just been through a 5 day cleanse (most awful experience, other than the colonoscopy and barium enema. Literally dreamt about bacon cheeseburgers running through fields of flax to embrace me lol) and I figured this was a perfect chance to find out if there are specific foods that cause me pain and diarhea because there's nothing else in there that would affect my little experiement.

So, are there foods that you would consider safe? Foods that are triggers? I was so sick that I was at the point that no matter what type of food it was: health, unhealthy, low fibre, high fibre, raw food, cooked food, high carb, low carb, high fat, low fat...everything would make me sick.

How have you been coping with your diagnosis? What sorts of foods or menus do you eat on a daily basis?

If anything it is motivation to not eat crap, but my husband is annoying me by saying that eating white bread, white rice and mashed potatoes is not healthy, even though these are foods that my tummy doesn't reject.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• sue_886
    Options
    I just asked for some guidance about this myself and someone directed me to this site: http://www.helpforibs.com/ They have a dietary "cheat sheet" you can get for free with guidance on certain foods to avoid, limit, and eat.

Personally, I have found I need to keep away from caffeine, grease, high sugar/salt, dairy (especially cheese), red meat, chips (and other high fat foods), and most processed foods. I also limit chocolate.

I find that drinking a lot of water and caffeine free peppermint tea, and walking help me a lot. I also take probiotics every day. I too eat white grains; they are easy on my stomach, while whole grains...not so much. But I mix wheat with white when I can. I also find lean chicken and salmon are nice and easy on my stomach. I steam my vegetables as raw veggies are harder to digest. When I've eaten things that bother me, it usually takes two-three days for my system to clean out. In that time, I stick to chicken, rice, and steamed green beans. I don't know why, but it works well for me. I once went on a rice diet with my sister and after two weeks I felt good as new! Working on getting into a similar routine now (it's just hard to give up certain things!)

Mine is due to a sensitive digestive system and stress/anxiety. I find that traveling and monthly menstrual cycle agitate it a lot more (which is very common with IBS). I walk as much as I can, especially during those times, or when I'm stressed/anxious. I have also found that when I tense up I hold my breath. It's really important that you breath slowly/deeply. Also, try to eat your food slowly as that helps digestion. I would suggest trying things that relax you: I read, pray, listen to soothing music, etc. Everyone is different, so do what works for you!

Sorry for the lengthy post; hope that helps!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    White carbs are ok for IBS. I've read that too much insoluble fiber (in grains, veg) can aggravate it, while soluble fiber is better. Too much fibre at once is a problem too - got to add that stuff in gradually.

Soluble fibre foods: starchy foods - white carbs, root vegetables, bananas, papayas, avocados

Insoluble fibre: most of the healthiest & tastiest foods - cruciferous veg (broccoli), cabbage, onions, green veg, tomatoes, pulses (though they also have soluble fibre), grains and nuts, skins of fruit and root veg.

Foods high in insoluble fiber can be easier to digest if they're highly prepared (cooked, chopped, peeled) and/or eaten with white carbs and/or soluble fiber.

Fruits get to my sensitive stomach, especially citrus, watermelon, and pears. Cooked spinach and lentils kill me but I eat them anyway because I love them, I just try to have rice or something on the side.

I can't live without coffee, but limit myself to 1 in the morning. MAX 2 in a day, if I'm exhausted and really need a cup of jo.

Dairy's ok with me, and there's no way I'd give up fleshy incarnations of protein.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't have IBS, but I do have training in immunology. Inflammatory foods should be avoided -- grains, nightshades, etc.
  • NinjaBeth90
    Options
    Hi, i found out I have IBS in my early teen's - Bread is a killer for me, ill be in pain within 10 mins of eating it. .. But it tastes so good i cant help but eat it lol. . I guess i'm my own worst enemy. Its mainly wheat and red meats that will trouble me the most but i dont stop eating them all together just avoid them some days or try to reduce the amount. . Its got considerably better since ive stopped indulging in pizza..... and ive learnt to manage it better now over the years.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I have yet to be diagnosed with something, as they have said it was Lactose Intolerence, Chrones, Cancer, and everything in between. They have finally rested on EIBS (extreme IBS) which is not really a thing, but its the only thing they've managed to rule 'in'! :ohwell:

Greasy foods are my triggers. A pizza soaked in grease will surely set off an episode!! Stress of course will also play a factor. I have realized that yogurt and/or an additional probiotic helps tremendously!! Edited to add I also drink an oz of Aloe Vera juice each morning!!

They tried putting me on some many diets to include ridding myself of bread (yeast carbs) and that didn't help. And thank goodness becasue I love my bread and beer. LOL
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS since high school. It takes some time but you will eventually figure out what you can and cannot eat. I have been back to the doctor so many times and had a colonoscopy two years ago and nothing but IBS.so they say. I have to take Miralax once a day. Without it I generally have constipation issues, Stay away from greasy foods,alcohol,chocolate ,milk.. yeah all the fun stuff! Ever since I changed my eating habits I have felt great!!! Yet another good reason to keep a food diary. Feel free to contact me anytime if you want to chat about it!
  • leska1216
    Options
    Have IBS and Divertiulitis. Have had 2 resections, missing about 4 feet of lower intestine. D flare ups are so painful and bloating. IBS is a daily given. I limit dairy and bread intake, cause bloating. I cannot eat corn, any corn. I take probiotics and fiber daily. Lots of water, fruit and veggies. Exercise sometimes helps.
  • livelongmama
    livelongmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    While your husband is correct that eating white bread, white rice and mashed potatoes isn't healthy for the average person, he is not correct when it comes to people suffering from "flare ups" of Chron's, Colitis, IBS, etc. During a flare up, it is important to stay away from fiber including whole grains, fruits and raw vegetables. These high fiber (and normally healthy) foods cause more irritation to already inflammed tissues in your intestines, hence giving you more pain and illness. During a flare up, it is best to eat easily digestible foods to allow the inflammation to heal and "kick start" the digestion process again. Start with "white" foods and yogurt or soy yogurt (for probiotics - very important), then slowly add in things like bananas, cooked carrots, and other cooked vegetables as you start to feel better. When not in a flare up, it is best to eat a healthy diet with whole grains and fruits and vegetables if your body can handle it. Good luck!! I hope you figure out what is causing your illness and feel better soon!
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! Today is my first day back eating regular food after the rip-my-colon-out-cleanse I had to suffer through. I found it tough to even WANT to eat this morning, but so far, here's how my day has gone:

1 cup skim milk with 1 cup honey nut cheerios. So far so good.
    3 scrambled eggs. Only made it 2/3 of the way through. Had a bit of nausea, so figured it was more of a texture thing.
    1 cup apple juice
    2 left over pork chops. So good. my tummy was very happy with them, as it is the first real food I've had in days.
    1 cup plain oatmeal with some raisins. Again, so hungry, but not interested in eating. Made it through and tummy felt fine.
    2/3 cup activia yogurt. Yummy.

So, all in all a good start. I feel like this might be a good opportunity for me to try to get my bowels moving the right way again.

for dinner i have planned lightly seasoned roasted carrots, mashed potatoes and roasted chicken thighs. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again for the tips! Hope to see some more too!