How do I stop from constantly eating?

Options

Replies

• mstoya02
    Options
    I like the brushing teeth and water idea.
  • Ropi2004
    Ropi2004 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow Thank you all I find these tips very helpfully and I am definately trying to monitor what foods I eat more.... I just realized that I have working out down but wasn't losing the weight like I wanted. I know I turn to food for emotional reasons, boredom, stress. Just needed some ideas to try :) Thank you all of you!!!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    cut the bull and excuses and just do it.. find other activities to do that keeps you from going to the fridge.. get off ur butt and go work out, go for a walk, swimming etc..
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love all these ideas!
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Take a walk, work out and trust me those cravings go away.
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I make a huge container of tossed salad on the weekend,and have some when I get the gnawing of unsatiable hunger. fill up with that and your meals will be smaller and more filling
  • Ropi2004
    Ropi2004 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all again
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Learn to crochet or knit. When I'm watching tv and not doing homework I pull out my yarn and crochet needle and go to town.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Burn a vanilla scented candle. Make sure it is a very strong scented one. Trust me, it does work. I got through all this week by doing that. For some strange reason it makes my mind assume I'm eating the scent. SO I went & got some vanilla essence & use it as a perfume as well. Been great week & even made better choices.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I drink water, exercise, and I only have to do the brushing teeth or chewing gum after a meal when I'm putting leftovers away to keep from wanting to snack during the clean up process.

I don't mindlessly eat. When I eat it's a meal and it's with purpose and enjoyed, then I'm done. Time to go get busy with something else. Time to be productive and useful.

If I want to keep eating when I'm done I just tell myself I can have some more tomorrow, or the next meal, or whatever.

For me I have found that Intermittent Fasting helps because you take a break from eating. You eat normal then you take a break from it. Human beings have been doing this since the beginning of time, for spiritual reasons (fasting) and as hunter gatherers. Our bodies are designed to take breaks from eating, much to the horror of those who say our fragile bodies can't go two hours without going into starvation mode. Just give it a break. :) We have become such a weak society, having to fill every want instantly. Instant gratification. You will not die from hunger pains in one day, or 6 or 8 hours, or whatever you decide your break from food needs to be.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Whenever you walk towards the fridge stop and do 10 pushups :)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person/people who said to find out what triggers the constant eating. I used to eat because I was bored. I realized that I need to DO more. If I get the urge to eat but know I shouldn't be hungry I find something to occupy my brain and/or body. Just yesterday this happened to me and I just went to a few shops and looked around. Eventually I stopped thinking about eating.
  • MistyAnneK
    MistyAnneK Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the "What is causing you to want to always eat" If you can pinpoint the why you can learn to curb it, or change it.

I would not consider jalapenos or pickles a good snack as they are LOADED with sodium. Calories are small, but salt content is huge.
  • fitsin10
    Options
    I would love to be able to pinpoint this problem also. I don't know why I have this problem. I always felled like I was crazy because I never heard of anyone else having this problem. I have Type II Diabetes and Graves Disease. It is all controlled with meds. But this is definately my biggest hurdle to get over. I battle this on a daily basis. I work out 7 days a week so I am exercising.
  • spootzie3
    Options
    Constantly eating = trying to fill up. Exactly WHAT are we trying to fill up? If we've already eaten a meal, then how can we be hungry? I'm working with a therapist on this very thing. Seems I have a hole that I'm trying to fill. The hole is empty. I'm trying to fill the emptiness. I can hope to stop the pattern and achieve some normalcy by getting to the bottom of what that emptiness is. Deep stuff, huh?

Also, anyone who has ever suffered from obsessing over food and eating knows that it involves more than just getting off your butt and doing it like one gentlemen so insensitively responded. No amount of exercise, drinking water, keeping busy, etc. is going to resolve the obsession. It takes hard work and some serious self reflection to beat down the demon. Kudos to everyone out there who is trying to win this war. Don't beat yourselves up for being human and certainly don't ever give up.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I sort of operate this way too, but I don't really consider it a problem. I usually know what I will be eating for breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, well ahead of time. I think ahead longingly to my oats and peanut butter or my cheesy omelets, etc. Just make sure you plan well and stock the house with food that fits your plan. Then execute your plan. Boom.
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY with otrlyn
    ...I LOST 36 LBS using MFP and logging everything, but the key is planning ahead so you know what you are going to be able to have. I eat LOTS of salads and fresh fruit and vegetables and try to eat something healthy every couple hours. I also drink a lot of green ice tea I brew myself. I even add fresh squeezed lemon juice, so it's like a green tea lemonade. And I love coffee as a treat drink. I refuse to make myself a pot in the morning, but instead make a cup at a time with my keuring when I'm feeling the urge to cheat....for some reason, coffee to me is a treat. Good luck. Oh....and I exercise everyday too....so I track those calories burned as well and I always eat them back so that I'm at my goal calories MFP set up for me. I'm on maintenance now and the whole process of weight loss and maintenance has worked, only because I hold myself accountable for all I eat and burn. It's a commitment, but I don't ever want to go back :-)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I sort of operate this way too, but I don't really consider it a problem. I usually know what I will be eating for breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, well ahead of time. I think ahead longingly to my oats and peanut butter or my cheesy omelets, etc. Just make sure you plan well and stock the house with food that fits your plan. Then execute your plan. Boom.

I agree with this completely. I fill out my log a week or so in advance and that's what I have in the house. I know exactly what time my next meal/snack is and I look forward to it.

I will add that for the first time in the last 6 months I actually forgot to eat one of my snacks. I got busy at work and the next thing I knew it was 1/2 an hour to lunch time and I missed my morning snack..... maybe it is possible to stop obsessing after a while :wink:
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a hobby that doesn't allow your mind to wander so much. When it comes to changing habits, diversionary tactics are key. If all else fails, just get out of the house. Instead of heading for the fridge, go outside for a walk / run / bike ride or something else you might enjoy. Make sure you have good snacks and are eating the right kinds of foods. Eating junk only leads to wanting to eat more junk. Retrain your brain to want and be satisfied with the right kinds of food (lean meats, fruits, vegetables).

The occasional something not so great is fine, but it should be the exception rather than the rule.

Make small adjustments and don't kill yourself if you have one bad meal or one bad day.
  • margueta562
    margueta562 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started seeing a therapist regarding my anxiety and stress issues and it seems when I am very overwhelmed I eat so she recommended to do anything to distract myself.

Go for a walk, take a shower, call a friend ,etc. She said not to chew gum to keep you mouth busy. The salavation tricks your mind to thinking its eating and actually stimulates your appetite.I used to think its the other way around.