Can we have 'junk' as long its within calorie goal?

Options
Just had some crisps that were 156 calories, which makes my remaining calories for the day go down to 135 which is fine because i'm going to bed soon.
But i still ate 'junk'??
Will this effect my weight loss even though it doesnt go over my calorie/carb/fat goal?
if i decided to have a chocolate bar because the amount of calories is what i'm allowed left, should i eat it because my calories say i can or do i not eat it because its considered junk food?
confusion!!
:S

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it's a huge deal every so often. Just don't make it a daily habit :-)
  • jesskennedy
    Options
    i always eat what i want, as long as its in calorie goal, and it doesnt go over my daily fat allowance : )
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    If you do this all the time it would NOT help you in eating healthy:frown: and making those life changes that you want. If you only do it occasionally then you will be fine...but don't expect great:ohwell: things on the scale when you are doing that.....Besides you want a healthier you to go with the smaller you and that will take some time.

I once heard Dolly Parton say that when she was over weight and had to lose a lot she didn't deprive herself of anything, but limited it to one potatoe chip, one half a cookie, one bite of ice cream, etc. I think that's a good idea if you have trouble saying NO to all the stuff you are trying to stay away from and make this life style change....:glasses:

It's gonna take time...but you can do it...tomorrow is a new day.:smile:

Laura
  • xerothermic
    Options
    I say you NEED "junk" every now and then. Treat yourself. Don't make a habit of it and don't go over, but damn it you deserve it!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    If you're looking to make this a life-long change, you ARE going to eat crisps, chips, chocolate, candy, cake, and other "bad" stuff at points throughout your life! The key is to know how much you can eat (which you did). I myself try to conserve some calories at the end of the day so I can have some frozen yogurt, cookie, or individual dessert bowl. If I can't have one, then no biggie, I'll just try to be better tomorrow.

I think that one bag of crisps, one evening, when you still have calories to spare will not effect you in the long run. Congrats on being so good about what you ate today!
  • mlove1307
    Options
    The basic math says that if you burn more than you eat (and stay under your calorie limit) you will lose weight.

I eat baked chips, light popcorn, chocolate, ice-cream, and allllll sorts of "junk"

BUT I balance it with lots of whole grains, veggies and fruit.

It's all about the balance. If you had 1600 calories to eat.. you very well could eat chocolate and crisps, but you would feel pretty terrible. I'm sure you know better than anyone what your body wants and when it works best.

Personally, if I have 200 calories left and I've been good all day, I'm going to eat some chocolate if it calls my name. I don't believe in calling it "junk".. because chocolate is GOOOD!!!!!!!
  • JazzyMarie
    JazzyMarie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I guess i will see if this effects me when i weigh next week :)
    maybe make the treat a weekend thing
    x
  • JazzyMarie
    JazzyMarie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    haha yes as a chocoholic i would never call it junk!!!
    its more of a saviour!!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    you can, but IMO it does matter WHEN you eat it too. Your body has a much, much easier time converting simple sugar and simple carbs (candy, cookies, chocolate, etc) into energy than it does complex foods (protein, whole grains, etc) so, if you eat it, your body converts it and then doesnt need it right then what will it do? convert it to fat for storage of course. They also raise your blood sugar and will cause crashing, and craving, if you do.

I always save my "treats" to have right before, or occasionally right after I exercise so that those calories are used up as I consume them. They never have a chance to convert to fat. Also, i generally save my pasta meals for those days when I am going to hit the gym at night so I can burn them off after eating them (usually I do my main exercise/gym time in the mornings)
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Eating junk will not help you lose weight or make you healthy.....
    A treat every once in a while is good, too much of a good thing is what got us all here in the first place!!!

You need to find a healthy alternative.... Last night i was craving ice cream & chocolate.... but there was no way i was eating it, instead i made a fat free yogurt with strawberries and bran....i felt satisfied not guilty after eating it!
    I will be closer to my goal weight faster by not eating junk!!! :)
  • sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    It will not affect your weight loss (if you keep under your goals). But it may affect your health and immune system.:flowerforyou: