running question

Options
2»

Replies

• Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll try going on an empty stomach and see how it goes. I think eating 2 hours before a 6am run is not realastic for me. I like my sleep. ;) It's not a far run so as I increase in distance I will see what works best for me.
  • jonnyuns
    Options
    Sometimes you have to just work around the time you can exercise - if this means that you cant have optimum nutrition around your work-out it's still better than not working out.
    In an ideal world you should eat something 1 - 3 hours before, and a post-workout snack/meal of high quality protein and complex carbs (especially if you're looking to build muscle - or even just preserve lean mass).
    My favourite pre work-out food is toasted spelt bread topped with peanut butter and sliced banana ( as the 3 main ingredients are digested at different rates you get a long slow release of energy ). Post work-out I like a diet protein shake prepared in a blender with a handful of fruit ( strawberries or blueberries are good ) made with low-cal almond milk and ice. Might sound a little strange but taste fantastic!
    I'd recommend you try before you dismiss - you never know!!
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks! speaking of, what are suggestions of a good post run breakfast? I usually eat 2 hard boiled eggs and a banana or yogurt. Is this good?
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I run in the morning I like to get up early and eat a very light breakfast 40 - 60 minutes before I run. This may be TMI, but I prefer to put some time between eating and running to let nature take its course so my run is uneventful. Might be more of an issue for longer runs. There is nothing worse than being out on a run and feeling like you need to find a bathroom.
  • jonnyuns
    Options
    Sounds fine - good protein from the eggs and carbs from the banana ( possibly both from the yoghurt depending on type ) - perfect!
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks! speaking of, what are suggestions of a good post run breakfast? I usually eat 2 hard boiled eggs and a banana or yogurt. Is this good?

Yes, thats great...carbs, protein and fiber. I prefer a protein shake or meal replacement shake but what your eating is fine.
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started at 230lbs in July, I am at 203lbs today. I run 4 miles three/four times a week and I do not need to eat anything prior. However, If I do not eat something the night before I wake up weak and unable to run. Each person is different . In your case, as you increase mileage, you might need to eat something (?) Just try what makes you comfortable and able to run. A good breakfast would be fresh fruit and yogurt, whole wheat muffin with peanut butter, whole wheat bread with some oatmeal, fresh greens with boiled eggs are pretty good too. Good luck to you and have fun!