New and struggling

Options
Hey everyone!

My name is Morgan and I am 25 years old. I am no newbie to the weigh loss game, but it seems like every year I am trying so hard to continue. Since the age of about 13 I have struggled with my weight, it never really occurred to me that I was eating too much but rather I thought it was from lack of exercise. So ... when I was in high school, I joined the volleyball team and hoped that it would work. NOPE! I lost some weight, but it just wasn't enough to consider myself healthy.

Since then I have been up and down in the scales, at my largest I weighed closed to 300 lbs and at my lightest (about 7 years ago) 180 lbs. Since the large increase in my weight, back about 4 years ago, and topping the scales at almost 300 lbs I have changed my life style. However, I am still just not there yet. I currently weigh 205 lbs and I am 5'8. While I realize that is tremendous from 300 lbs, I am still not where I want to be.

I have just completed my Masters and recently returned from Study Abroad in Milan, Italy. While there I lost about 30 lbs because of all the walking and clubbing I did. I am currently looking for a job and I want to feel great about myself because I know it shows when going to interviews.

My goal weight is 160 lbs and once there I will be 100% happy!!! Any support or guidance any of you have to offer will be great! I am currently walking fast/jogging about 4 times a week and doing exercise with dumb bells. Since I am currently looking for a job, I am living with the parentals (not something I am proud of, but since the age of 18 I was out the door so I shouldn't really be ashamed and its not permanent). So needless to say money is tight right now! I can't afford a gym membership, so the only things I can utilize are at home or in the great outdoors.

I am really excited about utilizing this websites resources and to have all of you to motivate me! :)

Replies

• judywiggins
    judywiggins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you but don't put too much undo stress on yourself. The weight will come off if you stay consistant. As for your job interviews, walk into them with your head high and project the image that you are ready to conquer the world, :happy:
  • judywiggins
    judywiggins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, hello, hello and greeting. I live in Columbia SC and have been "back" on myfitnesspal for almost two weeks. The first week I started I was at home and did great. The next week I found out that I had to travel for work. I almost panicked. However what I did was go to Walmart and got some Weight Watchers food, healthy snacks and it has thus far been a great week. I also incouraged my co-worker to join me.
  • morgyluv
    Options
    Thank you soo much for the encouraging thoughts :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

My name is Morgan and I am 25 years old. I am no newbie to the weigh loss game, but it seems like every year I am trying so hard to continue. Since the age of about 13 I have struggled with my weight, it never really occurred to me that I was eating too much but rather I thought it was from lack of exercise. So ... when I was in high school, I joined the volleyball team and hoped that it would work. NOPE! I lost some weight, but it just wasn't enough to consider myself healthy.

Since then I have been up and down in the scales, at my largest I weighed closed to 300 lbs and at my lightest (about 7 years ago) 180 lbs. Since the large increase in my weight, back about 4 years ago, and topping the scales at almost 300 lbs I have changed my life style. However, I am still just not there yet. I currently weigh 205 lbs and I am 5'8. While I realize that is tremendous from 300 lbs, I am still not where I want to be.

I have just completed my Masters and recently returned from Study Abroad in Milan, Italy. While there I lost about 30 lbs because of all the walking and clubbing I did. I am currently looking for a job and I want to feel great about myself because I know it shows when going to interviews.

My goal weight is 160 lbs and once there I will be 100% happy!!! Any support or guidance any of you have to offer will be great! I am currently walking fast/jogging about 4 times a week and doing exercise with dumb bells. Since I am currently looking for a job, I am living with the parentals (not something I am proud of, but since the age of 18 I was out the door so I shouldn't really be ashamed and its not permanent). So needless to say money is tight right now! I can't afford a gym membership, so the only things I can utilize are at home or in the great outdoors.

I am really excited about utilizing this websites resources and to have all of you to motivate me! :)

Hmmmm....5'8" working out 3-5x a week is a BMR of appx 1600-1700.
    TDEE is appx 2400.
    You could essentially eat 1800-2k a day and lose at a good clip.
    I'm going to do this on a calc to see how close I was....brb....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I was off by a tad....

BMR 1726
    TDEE 2676

Perfect weight 144lbs

Net about 2k a day to lose appx 1.34+lb/week
  • akgordoa
    Options
    I find that weight lifting (heavy) seems to have better result than straight cardio. I'm on my second spin with weight loss and I definitely see a better improvement this time around with my weights. Maybe try a program (beach body has a few) or see a trainer. If you find that still isn't enough, consider seeing a doctor for any potential hormonal/glandular problems. Are you on medication already? This can keep weight on without us realizing it.
  • ahelmic6
    Options
    It seems like weight loss is a constant battle, but you can beat it with support and will power! Just keep trying.

I will say that one great thing about living with your parents is that you should be less tempted to eat fast food, since they will most likely have prepared something for dinner. I know that most of my weight gain is from moving out of my parents house and closer to the fast food places. It seems 'convenient' at the time, but the fat and sodium is not worth it.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Make it fun not a chore. It helps.
  • artd9312
    artd9312 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I have been on since July 2011 (previous account) and LOVE MFP!!! Welcome!