Body Glide vs. Gold Bond Friction Defense

Options
I am a HUGE fan of body glide and have been for years, but lately I've seen the gold bond friction defense stick popping up in stores lately- it's cheaper and available at more "regular" stores- is it worth trying? Has anyone tried both who's willing to compare pros/cons?

PS. For anyone interested body glide (and the gold bond stick) are friction protection products- they look like a stick of deodorant and can be used for nipple chafing, blister prevention on feet, underarm chafing and anywhere else where you might experience chafing/rubbing/discomfort (like if your thighs rub together, or my favorite use- preventing blisters in strappy heels!) .

ETA: My primary use is running.

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i should get something like this, my thighs rub together even when I was a healthy weight. opinions on which is better anyone?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Shameless bump. SOMEONE must know the answer!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Well, since nobody answered me a few weeks ago, I decided to experiment. The gold bond has so far held up well on short runs, but started to fade today when I was approaching the 8-mile mark. Body glide stays on longer without need for reapplication. But The Gold bond is still good, a worthwhile product, but maybe not ideal for longer than 8 miles if you don't have a handy way to carry it with you.

I also picked up a Mission brand anti-friction stick to try, but haven't yet. It is a convenient purse size, but was almost the same price for that little stick as the 3x bigger gold bond product.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I wrote off body glide as way too expensive years ago.

I'm a HUGE fan of Aquaphor Healing Ointment (or butt chapstick as my kids now call it).
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to use Body Glide, until a running store brought samples of TriSlide to a group run. It's made to help triathletes get in and out of a wet suit, but it works great for chafing. You just spray it on before the run and no matter how sweaty you get you won't chafe.

http://www.sbrsportsinc.com/trislide_products.htm

Just don't put it in your carry on luggage if you do an out of town race.
  • athensguy
    Options
    I am still satisfied with Body Glide for clothes rubbing, but I put Blue Steel Anti-Chafe on my feet.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I used to use Body Glide, until a running store brought samples of TriSlide to a group run. It's made to help triathletes get in and out of a wet suit, but it works great for chafing. You just spray it on before the run and no matter how sweaty you get you won't chafe.

http://www.sbrsportsinc.com/trislide_products.htm

Just don't put it in your carry on luggage if you do an out of town race.

I'm also a big fan of Tri-slide. Plus it's a spray. Very convenient.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i should get something like this, my thighs rub together even when I was a healthy weight. opinions on which is better anyone?

While I'm a fan of Body Glide for other areas of friction, for this you might want to try mid thigh length compression shorts. I have the same problem; my thighs are large even at a heathy weight. I always wear Underarmor or similar type compression shorts when running.