Zumba Oaf

Options
13»

Replies

• LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Keep dancing!!! It will get easier by the 5th class. I started in February with zumba classes and I am addicted. I now make my own moves if I can't do a specific move or if I want to elevate my heart rate a bit more.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This has given me the courage to try Zumba at the gym instead of purchasing the Wii game. Why spend money on the Wii game when I'm already paying the gym membership. I was told the instructor at my gym started taking the class at over 300 lbs, became addicted to it and is obviously now the instructor and weighs about 130 lbs. That's incentive enough for me!!!
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for about 4 weeks now. I felt like a total fool and about ran over everyone the first couple of days... Now I know 90% of what I am doing and yesterday was the first day I new the moves before the instructor did them. I might even come off the corner of the back row now...

Keep GOING!! Everyone starts at the beginning. It is a fabulous workout and you will deprive yourself this.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This has given me the courage to try Zumba at the gym instead of purchasing the Wii game. Why spend money on the Wii game when I'm already paying the gym membership. I was told the instructor at my gym started taking the class at over 300 lbs, became addicted to it and is obviously now the instructor and weighs about 130 lbs. That's incentive enough for me!!!

I never tried Zumba on the Wii, just in class! It is fun! You will enjoy it and it is addicting. Why not burn calories why you are having fun. Instead of being on a dreaded elliptical. Go for it! The instructor losing so much weight is a great incentive.
  • khlhff
    Options
    Keep going cause it can work! My niece lost 100 lbs. with zumba in 1 yr! It was a New Year's resolution. watch on you tube, just look up Jenny Pleva-zumba
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It's better to move to the wrong beat than to not move at all!

Who cares what the dancing looks like? You're not there to perform on a stage. You're there to have a good time and to burn some calories.
  • sagittarius_chick
    Options
    i love ZUMBA !!!
  • Sogj76
    Options
    We all start off as oafs, enjoy the class it can be great fun and you'll get better.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    ive been doing it about 3 months mondays and wednesdays. i still love it because the instructor always says, make it yours. im here to guide you, if you want a higher intensity or lower, its up to you, then she constantly is like, shake that booty more girl. she has forgotten moves for her own dances when people in the class remember. she just laughs through so i definitely dont feel bad. at first i was embarrassed, back of the class, now im almost to the front, on the side so i can see her. its a pretty full class. ive had people tell me they are watching me since they cant see the teacher and thats great, but i laugh continuously when i mess up. i dont take it seriously. thats the most important part.
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I so loved reading all these comments!! I am a licensed Zumba instructor and I tell my class that there is no mistakes in Zumba. We are there to have fun and work out. If you have an unscheduled solo, it is OKAY!! Just do your thing!! Have fun and move!!! And like everyone else has said, it gets easier the more you go.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    and plus, if you dont hit anybody or step on anybody, then you are doing great. i accidentally kicked somebody, stepped on toes, and hit somebody with my hands. funny part, every person thats had it done says, thats ok, ive done it too.
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ive been doing it about 3 months mondays and wednesdays. i still love it because the instructor always says, make it yours. im here to guide you, if you want a higher intensity or lower, its up to you, then she constantly is like, shake that booty more girl. she has forgotten moves for her own dances when people in the class remember. she just laughs through so i definitely dont feel bad. at first i was embarrassed, back of the class, now im almost to the front, on the side so i can see her. its a pretty full class. ive had people tell me they are watching me since they cant see the teacher and thats great, but i laugh continuously when i mess up. i dont take it seriously. thats the most important part.

I have brain farts periodically when I'm teaching and I just start laughing and keep moving. My class laughs and we keep it moving. I don't take myself too seriously. I think it helps to make the students feel more comfortable and know that no one is perfect, even the instructor. Lol! And by the way, go ahead to the front row, we call them "Front Row Divas". :-)
  • swopely
    Options
    Now that cracked me up ! One time I took a yoga class and I was the only big one there. The whole room was surrounded by mirrors so you had no choice but to look at yourself the whole time. I looked very interesting trying to get into some of those poses. To add insult to injury the instructor had me use a chair ( no one else did) and made me stand in the front of the class so she could help me. When ever I got on the floor I needed my daughter to help lift me up cuz I couldn't get off the floor myself.
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I felt the same way. I'm only on my 4th class....trust me it get's better :)

But she's doing great after 4 classes!!! Miss PattiDu!!!

I'm an instructor and used to be like you. Felt silly but I had so much fun, even tho I had no idea what I was doing, I kept going back. 5 days a week even. But MFP & Zumba saved my life! 60lbs gone in 8mths! Now I teach Zumba with 3 other instructors and it's the best thing I have ever done! And No one is watching you anyway! They are watching the instructor. jkBest thing about Zumba fitness is it;s for eveyone! You don't have to know how to dance. Just move and have fun! If you don't like a move or don't get a move, just move!! It takes more classes to get familar with the moves so don't lose faith. You'll get it soon enough and love the results!!! If youever have any questions, please message me or friend request me. I love helping others and I LOVE ZUMBA!!!!
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    I am a Zumba Fanatic! It is like my life, right now. I have been in it for a year now, and I have gained like 20 pounds of muscle! I have accomplished a rockin new booty, and the beginning of my upper abs, and shaping my back and arms. Just keep going darling, no one in class pays attention to anyone, cause we are to busy keeping up. So just dance, it will be ok.!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Look for Zumba Gold. Slower pace not quite so fancy of steps. I didn't feel like a water buffalo more like bambi on ice.