Starving...

Options
So I'm doing great about watching what I'm eating and keeping the calories low but I feel like I'm constantly hungry and eating. Any suggestions here for killing the appetite? No pills either btw, I was taking Roxylean awhile back and all it did was increase my anxiety.

Replies

• musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to say, open up your diary so that people can give you advice based on what you're eating.
  • louiseyanne
    Options
    Sugar free Jelly!!

Also as has already been said, open your diary to let people see !
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water atleast 10 cups daily ? Try drinking a cup of water and see if it goes away. The brain gives you the same signals for thrust and hunger.

If not just eat something healthy like a piece of fruit or something small. You should never feel hungry.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on how many calories you are eating minus burning with exercise and if your RMR and leptin concentration levels are normal. If everything is good with those, then eat to satisfy your energy expenditure needs. You don't have to limit yourself to 1200 calories a day gross or even net.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? It's hard to help if we don't know. If you are keeping calories low by eating small amounts of low-fiber, low-protein, low-nutrient foods, you are going to be hungry. This will probably lead to binging.

I eat small to moderate amounts of "good" fats found in whole foods--avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs, etc. (well, not eggs so much b/c I am a plant-focused person, but they are good protein sources if you are a meat eater). Also, lean proteins such as greek yogurt, chicken breast, fish. As a general rule of thumb, I think whole, less processed foods will fuel your body better and longer, keeping you satisfied longer on fewer calories.

If this is a new thing for you, bump your calories up a bit, and make a commitment to changing one thing a week in your diet. Trade out one "unhealthy" food habit for one "healthy" one (some debate out there as to what is healthy and what isn't). You didn't become overweight quickly and if you try to lose it too quickly it won't stay off and you won't be able to stay on the wagon. This was a hard fact for me to admit but once I did, I was able to handle slower loss...

Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water atleast 10 cups daily ? Try drinking a cup of water and see if it goes away. The brain gives you the same signals for thrust and hunger.

If not just eat something healthy like a piece of fruit or something small. You should never feel hungry.

:drinker:
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    Yes, I would love to comment but need more info on what you are doing:flowerforyou:
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. I eat 5-6 times a day now, small meals/snacks. One thing that I noticed, was after I cut out the "bad" food, it helped curb my cravings for them a lot more, it took a few weeks of diligence, but it did work. My diary is open if you would like to take a look at it, go back a week or so though, I had the flu last week and didnt log much if anything. I do still allow myself some treats now and then, usually dark chocolate.

Edited to say, water is very important, try to get at least your 8 in every day.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't feel hungry though personally I find it really easy to get 'physically hungry' confused with 'emotionally hungry'. When I started eating nutrionally dense foods my body wondered what the heck was going on and it took a few weeks for it come around to my way of thinking. You're much better of to eat fruit, protein, veges instead of things nutritionally devoid foods like sugar free jelly.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    Watching calories and exercising probably has your metabolism working better and more efficiently than ever before. That is probably why you are more hungry and find yourself snacking.
    As long as you are watching what you are eating, it is great. My doctor actually recommended that I eat every 1 1/2 hours (about a palm full of food) because my metabolism had shut down.
    Some good snacks would be fruits and vegetables (but watch the calories with the fruit)

Best of lucK!
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Eat beans and veggies! They keep me full for a long time!
  • pickledplatypus
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't feel hungry though personally I find it really easy to get 'physically hungry' confused with 'emotionally hungry'. When I started eating nutrionally dense foods my body wondered what the heck was going on and it took a few weeks for it come around to my way of thinking. You're much better of to eat fruit, protein, veges instead of things nutritionally devoid foods like sugar free jelly.

I totally agree. When I first started tracking my food, I often thought I was hungry, but really I was just thinking about food. I always wanted to eat, but often it was because I was bored or distressed or feeing some other sort of unpleasant emotion. Some times, I just wanted to eat because I like to eat and food is tasty.

Here's the litmus test for me: Does raw vegetables sound good? If so, then yeah, you are probably really hungry and should get some of said vegetables. However, if they don't sound like they will "hit the spot" then you aren't really (physically) hungry, but instead are experiencing some other emotion.
  • iWILLbeFit062012
    iWILLbeFit062012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. I eat 5-6 times a day now, small meals/snacks. One thing that I noticed, was after I cut out the "bad" food, it helped curb my cravings for them a lot more, it took a few weeks of diligence, but it did work.

^^^this^^^

Protein, fiber, smaller meals eaten every 3-4 hours, eat at least 1500+ cals depending on your daily exercise, and drink water with each meal as well as throughout the day. Give your body a couple weeks to adjust and you should feel the difference in your appetite. Give it time and don't expect things to happen overnight. Slow and steady! :flowerforyou:
  • tvaddict101
    tvaddict101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Here's the litmus test for me: Does raw vegetables sound good? If so, then yeah, you are probably really hungry and should get some of said vegetables. However, if they don't sound like they will "hit the spot" then you aren't really (physically) hungry, but instead are experiencing some other emotion.
    [/quote]

^^^This ^^^is such a good idea! I always think I'm hungry, but it's just habit. What to do next is always tricky though - there's only so much green tea girl can consume...
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No-one can give you any kind of accurate advice until you open your diary so we can see what you're eating and how much. How many calories are you eating?
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Snack on fruit. Make up little fruit salads to have throughout the day. Tea an coffee also helps. Green tea, also.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    How new are you to this?

I had a 'week off' last week due to a holiday - when I came back and started again Monday, my god I craved everything and I was starving! But I stuck to my guns and today I feel much better and it is already a lot easier.

Moral of the story is, it's difficult to establish when you are actually hungry or when you just crave sugar.

Added to that, you need to drink water, and lots of it, as your body finds it difficult to establish whether you are hungry or thirsty. Eat 'real' food, rather than processed 'low-fat' meals, as these won't fill you up.

Good luck - it does get easier.