shopping!!

Does anyone else hate shopping for clothes as much as I do? I have gone 3 times this week and have left disappointed every single time. I know this is a process but i just want this weight off yesterday! My shopping trip today made me more determined than ever to get it off. Im tired of being insecure with my body and the way it looks :(

Replies

• Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Hi!

I only know 2 other women apart from me who hate clothes shopping and one of them is my mother! I've come to the conclusion that it's because my wardrobe only has clothes in it that cover up my size and not many things that I really like. At 50 I don't follow the latest fads but I would like to wear clothes that I feel confident in. One of my inspirations is the new wardrobe of clothes my husband has promised me when I am happy with my weight. Please feel free to add me as a friend and we can do this together! :happy:
  • kelann1024
    kelann1024 Posts: 33 Member
    I love clothes, but they don't love my body....yet! I am willing to work for it!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    I've always hated clothes shopping, mainly because I had to go the to plus size stores. I would rather order online any day. Now since I've been losing, I have had to go shopping since I never know for sure what size I am. At least I'm able to shop at "regular" stores now, but it is still frustrating to find what I want. I try to stick to basic color pants for work and look for new blouses mainly. Occasionally I will buy a matched outfit. Hopefully by winter, I will be down to a size I feel comfortable ordering online. :smile:
  • thistime38
    thistime38 Posts: 62
    Hi!

I only know 2 other women apart from me who hate clothes shopping and one of them is my mother! I've come to the conclusion that it's because my wardrobe only has clothes in it that cover up my size and not many things that I really like. At 50 I don't follow the latest fads but I would like to wear clothes that I feel confident in. One of my inspirations is the new wardrobe of clothes my husband has promised me when I am happy with my weight. Please feel free to add me as a friend and we can do this together! :happy:

Thanks :) i can use all of the help i can get. I am going away next week for a few days and wanted to buy a few nice tops. It took everything in my to buy sleeveless because i hate my arms. Im usually wearing a zip up sweater and was actually wearing one today in 30 degree Celsius weather!! Every time i buy something i want to bring it back because i feel as though its a waste of money because i dont really like it im just settling because it fits.
  • thistime38
    I love clothes, but they don't love my body....yet! I am willing to work for it!

I am definitely willing to work for and have been i am just inpatient.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Doesn't matter whether I'm thick or thin, I always hate shopping! I do the bare necessity to get by. Be patient, it will come off in time and then you'll wonder why you were so worried about it taking too long :smile:
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    I'm a shopping addict but I must admit that I buy more shoes and handbags than anything else these days; clothing doesn't give me the same pleasure. I've had to go shopping in my present size as I need to dress up for work so I can't just get by in my stretchy sweats while the weight comes off, but I have a beautiful wardrobe waiting for me when I get to my goal weight.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    I tend to shop online, Spend lots of money on things I *think* will look good and find out they would have looked good if I was 2 stone lighter, Then I keep them for *when I am smaller* and buy more and so on.

Main problem is when I buy these clothes that do not suit me, they are in that size I am at the time, so when I get smaller they will then be too big. So I basically waste all my money :D
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    I love shopping but my wardrobe currently includes every size between UK 16 and 22. It's a real novelty having friends and family coming round raiding my wardrobe though, previously everything would have been miles too big for them. Of course I'm now going to have to return the compliment by stealing their clothes...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I actually love shopping, but hate trying on and buying. I am actually laying out a plan to reduce my wardrobe down significantly and am determined to take on the 33 pieces in 3 month challenge beginning the week I hit the 4th phase of my diet plan in August.

I am convinced their is no such thing as "normal sizing" no matter if you are a petite, tall, junior, women or plus size in the US. I only buy if the clothing is on sale, and with my new sizing (or back to my "real size I want to be") I have to generally take two sizes to the dressing room.

I am seriously considering just buying a sewing machine and sewing clothes like I did in High School.
  • thistime38
    lol if i knew how to sew i would totally do this.
  • thistime38
    I love shopping but my wardrobe currently includes every size between UK 16 and 22. It's a real novelty having friends and family coming round raiding my wardrobe though, previously everything would have been miles too big for them. Of course I'm now going to have to return the compliment by stealing their clothes...

I was looking at your pics you look amazing!! How long did it take you to lose the weight you have lost so far?
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    I love shopping but not for clothes. Every time I go to purchase new clothes, especially pants/shorts, I am reminded of how far I still need to go to be happy with myself. I plan on getting a new wardrobe once I reach my goal size though, I really look forward to it :)
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Thanks, I started MFP six months ago so it's come off quite quickly. I get so excited when I drop a size and I can buy new clothes. Luckily there's an amazing catalogue clearance shop near me so I get some amazing bargains x
  • jeanmulgrew
    jeanmulgrew Posts: 1 Member
    is that why i got the coat that you liked lol, if i can lost some lbs you might get to keep it thats if you dont lost to much and then i will have to give it to your sister lol
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    I have never liked shopping. I worked in retail for 6 years and got tired of it. I wear my clothes until they have holes in them or will not stay on at all. I am still wearing sweatshirts 2 sizes too big just to avoid shopping.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Doesn't matter whether I'm thick or thin, I always hate shopping! I do the bare necessity to get by. Be patient, it will come off in time and then you'll wonder why you were so worried about it taking too long :smile:

same here- I have never ever liked shopping, esp for clothes, but almost any shopping it to be avoided. My husband likes to shop for me, thankfully.

**And, hang in there. You hard work will all pay off and you will love buying new outfits!
  • Hi!

Worst thing to shop for -- bra! I hate going to stores because I don't like the fashions or colours. Head to the thrift shops. Cheap clothes, if they don't fit or I don't like, who cares? It only cost a buck or two. My reward is to a new wardrobe next summer. Actually, I have been buying towards it already!!

Love shoes. Have many pairs of shoes. Goal this winter is to wear my knee high boots. Right calf is very swollen (5 years after accident), but hopefully I can walk down some of the fat and tone up some of the flab.
    Thanks :) i can use all of the help i can get. I am going away next week for a few days and wanted to buy a few nice tops. It took everything in my to buy sleeveless because i hate my arms. Im usually wearing a zip up sweater and was actually wearing one today in 30 degree Celsius weather!! Every time i buy something i want to bring it back because i feel as though its a waste of money because i dont really like it im just settling because it fits.
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Hi Thistime38, I'm not a big fan of shopping only because I don't have much patient for it. It's fun for the first hour or so but after that I get impatient right away it's like I'm just wasting my time :) I prefer that I'd be in and out and get it done unfortunately that's not the case for the most part since I gotta find clothes that would look good on me. Usually women loves to shop but not me really I only go when I needed to and come back to the stores where I shopped already in the past. I stay away from trendy clothes. It seems like you hate to shop because you're still not completely happy of the way you look so far? I know some people that looked their best even if they're on the heavy side, they looked very well put together. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to how we carry ourselves, and how confident we are regardless of the weight.
  • pauljanet
    pauljanet Posts: 20 Member
    I love to shop for dresses, dresses and more dresses, my wardrobe consists of uk size 8-14. I will even buy a dress that is too small for me, knowing one day I will get into it, I think this it spurs me on. I am lucky in respect that when I am on my heavy side I can carry it off pretty well. I think this comes from me knowing the style that suits me together with the cut and type of material used to be honest. I do have long thinnish arms and legs and the bulk of my weight is around my middle section. Most of my friends think I am alot taller than I really am at 5'4, and I never wear heels over 2" and this is because of the choices of clothes I purchase.

I suggest you take a day to go into every department store with a friend and try on loadsa clothes, make it a fun day and that way it wont feel like its a chore. Try items on that look ridiculas to the point of having you in fits of laughter. Try loads on, especially ones that you would never even try, you may be surprised that some of these will actually look great on you.
    Good luck and have fun! x