Takeaway dilemma

Options
When I wanna go for takeaway I'm faced with the same food choice. Between thai or indian. I'm sure subway is relatively healthier since they're not stir fried with oil and all, and you know exactly whats put in there. But heyy there are days when I need hot cooked foods, including tonight.

So opinions pleaseee, chicken larb (minced chicken thai salad; which is basically spiced chicken with one piece of lettuce lol)
or palak paneer (spinach curry with paneer cheese.)

I usually eat both with brown rice now. But any opinions to the better choice? :)

Replies

• Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your specific take out places, but generally Thai food is pretty healthy whereas Indian currys can be loaded with butter.
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    indian takeaway and chips from the fish and chip shop (if you're in england) seem to be the most high fat takeaway meals!
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Oh noooo I was afraid of that. I work at Taj Hotels and the head chef was praising the spinach curry. He said its the most healthy even with the cheese. I've tried cooking it once and I know you need probbly a dollop of cream? But yes, I had a feeling t wasnt true! Deep down I knew it was no good. Completely forgot about butter :/

I was hoping the curry would be just about the same with the laarb since they both involve stir frying with oil
    But thats just me trying to reason over my favorite dish ;) I keep going back to that curry ergh
  • iron93
    Options
    why are you talking about takeaways on a fitness/lifestyle site?
    you should know better.
  • UnicornMoonbeam
    Options
    Last night I was out late at work. The shops were closed and I had no healthy food in the house. But I grabbed some boiled veg and rice and the local Chinese. A little soy and chili sauce and it hit the spot.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    you should know better.
    Because for some people takeaways are part of their lifestyle? Not everyone has the same goals. Some of us are perfectly able to reach our goals while incorporating all kinds of food into our diets. At 21, I'm sure OP is capable of deciding for herself whether takeaways are "allowed" or not in her diet. Great job on talking down to her though.

OP - sorry I have no idea about either of those options, have you tried looking for nutritional information for similar dishes online?
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    When I wanna go for takeaway I'm faced with the same food choice. Between thai or indian. I'm sure subway is relatively healthier since they're not stir fried with oil and all, and you know exactly whats put in there. But heyy there are days when I need hot cooked foods, including tonight.

So opinions pleaseee, chicken larb (minced chicken thai salad; which is basically spiced chicken with one piece of lettuce lol)
    or palak paneer (spinach curry with paneer cheese.)

I usually eat both with brown rice now. But any opinions to the better choice? :)
    I would say it depends entirely on the takeaway place you're going to. Palak Paneer as it's made in takeaway places is a poor imitation of what it should be and loaded with unnecessary calories. Can't comment on the Thai
    you should know better.
    The OP's asking for an opinion, just like you've expressed yours
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    The best way is always to have things in moderation. If you deny yourself your favourite foods eventually you will just give up and have a massive blow out and end up consuming more calories. Have your favourite foods, log them and try to keep them within your calories. If necessary, just make the portion sizes smaller. A little of what you fancy does you good :-)
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Chow Mein is the healthiest/lowest calorie thing you can get from the chinese :) x
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    if you go on the tab that says food, then on the tab that says data base, you can put some different meals in the calculator and it tells you all the fat, cals, sodium, carbs etc in that food!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thai food is quite low in calories and fat! I love a nice Bean Curd Red Curry with Jasmine rice!! Yum yum yum!!

However, if it is not a regular thing then just having the odd day where you don't stick to all of your macros (without going nuts) can be a good thing!