How many calories should you lose on a treadmill?

Yesterday I went on the treadmill for about 30 minutes, burned 170 calories. Today I went on for about 45 minutes, burned 260. For 45 minutes doesn't 260 seem too little? Or is it fine? Just wondering...thanks

Replies

• I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor if you want to accurately gauge how many calories you burn during a workout. It really just depends on intensity.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Are you getting the calorie figures from MFP or the treadmill?

I guess that sounds fine, it just depends on so many variants though such as your speed, incline, your current weight so anything you go off is always just going to be an estimate.

If I had to choose I would probably go with the estimates from the treadmill.

Good luck in your weight loss :)
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Yesterday I went on the treadmill for about 30 minutes, burned 170 calories. Today I went on for about 45 minutes, burned 260. For 45 minutes doesn't 260 seem too little? Or is it fine? Just wondering...thanks

45 mins is 1.5 x 30 mins.
    1.5 x 170 calories is 255 calories - so you've actually burned slightly more per min doing the longer workout.
  • I just get it from the treadmill, not MFP. I go at about 3.8-3.9 speed for now :smile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Depends how fit you are, 6 calories per minute would be reasonable for me and I'm unfit. Of the 6 I would have used 1.2 - 1.5 sat on my bum.

Do you tell the thing your weight etc ? if not it must be a bit of a guess.
  • I just get it from the treadmill, not MFP. I go at about 3.8-3.9 speed for now :smile:

Unless you are a tall fit man of normal weight and running ability, it is unlikely that the treadmill count will be accurate as the calorie count is based solely on how fast the belt is moving, not how hard or easy you find it. Likewise the MFP estimate is based on your weight but it has no idea how intense your workout was. Both figures are pretty much guesses. The only way you are going to know with any accuracy is to get a hrm. To give you an example, yesterday I did 40 minutes, my hrm calculated about 900 calories, the treadmill estimated 200!