TOTM, stressed out!

Options
I weigh in every week on a Friday (yes yes, soon to be changing to Monday, easier to follow) and apparently since my last weigh in, regardless of the fact I've been WORKING MY *kitten* OFF and eating my calorie goals, other than a little chocolate treat once in the week, I've only lost a pound and somehow, somehow gained 3 percent in body fat. It's also been my TOTM and I'm sure there's rational, scientific explanations for this but I'm just... frustrated, and stressed out a bit I guess.

Just needed to vent, I wish the TOTM didn't even exist soemtimes, seriously. Or that it'd just be the fun flowery, yeah lets wear whtie pants and do hard sports while flirting with handsome men that adverts seem to project it as.

Replies

• SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Going through exactly the same! It fugging SUCKS to be female. Play tennis, wear white, look fabulous, climb a mountain? Yeah riiiight! My bread-bin was lucky to survive this month, only because I had this place as a support! As for the body fat going up are you working it out by measurement? My waist balloons by 2-3 inches at TOM, apparently its all due to water retention so I wouldnt worry too much. You've managed a loss the week before 'the time we shall not name', that in itself is a battle won! Perhaps we should call it Voldemort week?
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm eaxctly the same. so I threw out my scales and bought a tap measure.Turns out no weight loss yet 5.5 inches have gone. It always feels better to vent.:)
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ALWAYS 'gain' 3-4lbs during my TOTM. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!
    I have in the past just not bothered weighing in during that week as it used to really get me down and I'd fall off the wagon completely. But as I've got older, I've come to realise that it just (a crappy!) part of life and theres nothing we can do about it lol.

It usually all goes back to normal the next week though.
    So just stick with it, all your efforts and hard work will pay off in the end :-)
  • Jenerferzzz
    Jenerferzzz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ALWAYS 'gain' 3-4lbs during my TOTM. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!
    I have in the past just not bothered weighing in during that week as it used to really get me down and I'd fall off the wagon completely. But as I've got older, I've come to realise that it just (a crappy!) part of life and theres nothing we can do about it lol.

It usually all goes back to normal the next week though.
    So just stick with it, all your efforts and hard work will pay off in the end :-)

This is how it is for me, exactly. Not to mention with how crabby it makes me I have always been tempted to throw the scale when I weighed myself on my TOTM :mad: :explode: ... Probably best not to weigh in then.
  • Noni2863
    Noni2863 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Glad you vented and hope you are feeling better for it.

At one point in my dieting history, I used to help with the weekly weigh ins at WW.
    Spent a lot of time writing TOM on the cards and commiserating.
    To lose ANYTHING during TOM is a major success - so well done on that pound!

On MFP I am trying to restrict myself to only weighing once a month as I know from hard experience that it only took one disappointing weigh in to ruin my day...and quite often my entire commitment to the plan!

2 months down and it is going well with 2 nice sizeable losses. However I do find myself doubting that it is working around the 3rd week and have to keep myself away from the scales....hiding them in the garage to stop myself! Not sad at all.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself during my TOTM, because I always feel like I'm 30 lbs heavier.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have no issues losing during my ToTM. Drink water, cut your sodium and EAT what you are supposed to eat. The past week you averaged 1300 calories and worked out just about every day. How did you decide you gained BF? Did you get medically tested twice in the past month? Are you recording everything? Do you weigh things or just estimate. Are you overestimating workout calories? What is your BMR? your TDEE?
  • georgie181
    Options
    this has been my problem for months....inch gain, weight gain etc etc. I am working out more then ever too so doesn't make sense. so being a bit of a nerd, have researched and researched. its all in a matter of time, your body is changing, but you won't notice it, YET. I measured myself last night and I am down 2 inches on my waist, where as last week I was up 2!!!! so go figure, just stick with it, keep coming on here and it will all come together sooner or later. don't give in to a binge like I did......
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Your TOTM could be the issue. It always is with me. This is the first time in my 4 months of doing this where I've had it on my weigh in day. Sucks big time! I had to log a 1lb gain this morning. It does help to drink lots of water though. It at least makes me feel better at least. Just plug on through and you'll see a loss next week. Being a female sucks while changing diets around.
  • georgie181
    Options
    btw it was my TOTM last week lol, forgot to write that....
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you're measuring body fat with a scale or hand-held meter, you should know they are incredibly sensitive to things like hydration--it is best not to think of them as a reliable way to measure anything, especially not on a week to week basis. In all likelihood, you did not increase your body fat more than a fraction of a percentage over the course of a week. Also, I would not say you lost "only" a pound. A pound is a reasonable loss for a week.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    TOM makes me a little crazy. I gained three pounds over night! I know it's mostly water (I probably overdid it a little bit yesterday, but not THAT much), but it's kind of discouraging.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It fugging SUCKS to be female.

No, no it doesn't. :)

I'm willing to put up with the week of inconvenience knowing it means my body is capable or miraculous things and that the rest of the month I'm pretty kick *kitten*.

Hang in there, this too shall pass. :flowerforyou:
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Ugh, TOTM sucks donkey ballz. I'm in that right now, and I'm not weighing myself until it's over. Not to mention the accompanying migraines I often get....THOSE are fun.
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i'm with you!!! i feel your pain and living it too!!! damn scale, damn TTOM and yes i'm gonna get over the hump and you will too!! hopefully nothing will get harmed along the way :)
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also feel your pain. I gain a whopping 5-7lbs EVERY TOTM and do look noticeably bigger and it usually goes the following week- due to water retention.

You are doing amazing as you have managed a loss so well done!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You are going to have 500 more periods.

1. This will happen 80% of the time.
    2. When it doesnt, it most likely means its one of those months where you see no changes ever.
    3. This means you are healthy- your body pads and protects itself and fills with fluid to allow you to heal. If it didnt, you should worry.
    4. Also boobs.
    5. It will usually dissipate between the third day of chasing the cotton mouse and usually takes a half pound with it; if you workout and eat right during the whole business, it might take up to 2 or 3 pounds with it.
    6. Celebrate that your body is working perfectly and realize that those fluctuations are part of being a girl and do NOT EVER COUNT towards weight gain or loss - because it has to happen. Getting upset because you gain a couple on your period (or 8 pounds like me :|) is like getting frustrated because you drank 4 bottles of water and have to pee. It will happen no matter what and all it means is that this week's weigh in is affected by natural physical factors that represent good health.
    7. Its good to track this so that in 6 months you can look back and see that it always shows up and always goes away.

Grasp this whole business now and save yourself some heartache.
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Wednesdays cause while I was on birth control pills, mine started on Friday or Saturday so I could usually get away without weighing in without all the bloating. During that time, I try to cut back on sodium and take a OTC mensal water pills to help with the bloating and cramps. The first time I weighed in during that time I only lost a pound, but I've stayed steady since then.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself during my TOTM, because I always feel like I'm 30 lbs heavier.

This^^ I just skip recording because most of the time i'm up a pound or 2 but the next week i'm good! It's just part of being a woman. Don't let it stress you. Just mentally prepare yourself for this every mth and just don't get so worried about it. It's just what happens. Next week will be great!
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Losing one pound in a week is a perfectly healthy amount to lose, so no need to stress about "only" losing a pound. And you will likely hold water around that time as well. So, for ladies who "gain" 3-4 pounds overnight around TOM, you're NOT gaining fat, it's just water so no worries.

It may be a good idea to just skip the weigh-in if it's your TOM or weigh-in knowing that it's an inaccurate weigh-in and don't stress too much.

And I agree with whoever said it first, body fat calculators or those in scales/handheld devices are incredibly inaccurate and you shouldn't let that get to you. They are really only good to use once a month or less to see an overall change, not a week-to-week thing. They can also mistake muscle for fat so I tend to ignore the one on my scale.