Fitting in exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Doing your workout in the AM is the best way to go to get it out the way without any excuses...Trust me
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm thinking that doing it first thing in the morning is the best idea, so I think I'll try that!

GOOD LUCK!!! This is something I would LOVE to do, i've tried many times but when my alarm goes off so early i have an awful habit of just turning the alarm off for another ten minute snoooooooze and then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz that's it i'm gone, workout out the door - no more time!!!!!

Let me know how you get on, i may try myself for encouragement!!! lol!!!!
  • ronseal2
    ronseal2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was struggling to fit exercise in too, so in the last 4 weeks have changed my routine completely. Three/four times a week I now cycle an hour each way to work, and swim half hour to stretch my legs so I don't walk like a cowboy! My base office is only a 15 min stroll from the pool, which helps, although I have a secure place to park the bike at work. It means I get up really early, but it's the compromise I'm willing to pay to get fit and healthy.

I was worried about the cycling in London, but it's easy. There are cycle paths/bus lanes everywhere. I go through some heavily populated parts of East/North london and it's no bother. Only one incident so far, and not serious; if you're careful it's fine. It's not like the traffic can move that fast in London!

You could cycle for an hour to a station outside London. If you're near a main station they have bike parks, or leave it outside the flat. I pass loads of flats on my way in each day, and people seem to leave their cycles everywhere; which is great! You'll get a seat on the train and it will save you money too; no zone one fare! But you obviously need showers or a communal pool somewhere on the journey to make it viable.

Borrow a bike and test it out :)

Good luck.
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am out of the house for work from 6:30am to 6:30pm, sometimes even later - I fit in my insanity workouts 6 days a week. It difficult but you must pre-plan dinners, I'll spend sometime Sunday making dinners that can be taken from the freezer and reheated easily. I get home eat and work out from about 8:30-930, shower and bed... its just making the committment and wanting it enough. Last night I really didn't want to work out, I got home at 8:15 but knew I'd regret it if I didn't... so I pushed through and once through the warm up I knew it was the right decision :) best of luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would try walking during your lunch hour. Like others have said, it would be a good idea to find just 20 minutes to do some walking, or 30 would be even better.

Myself, I only workout 3-4 days per week anyway. I do cardio and strength training in the same workout, then relax on the weekends. Maybe you could workout on the weekends, then choose 3 days of the work week to relax?
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I can't get up early to work out - apparently that fiber is not in any part of my being. I make a goal every day to work out when I can - even if I have to break it up. Can you work out during lunch and walk on breaks? Does you office have a gym or offer discounts for memberships at an area gym?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you convince yourself that you can't change your habits, then you won't change much. Habits are hard to form - they require energy and there are times when you feel a really strong urge to fall back into your old routine. But it does get easier. Getting up early sucks if you're not used to it, but you can acclimate :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd do a quick video like 30 Day Shred in the morning. It's only 20 minutes and works everything. Or go for a run. I typically go to the gym at 5:30, take my son to school, am home or running around all day with my 2 little kids, then work from 3-11. So I understand being busy. Getting a workout in early feels really good. I spend a good 1-1.5hrs working out on my days off from work.
  • SusieMac66
    SusieMac66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My partner and I have just started out on our drive to fitness and encounter the same. We dont have time on a morning and no motivation after a long day at work. Sadly work (for both of us) is mainly sitting so its vital we do. We have in this early stage discovered that preparing food in advance helps. We get in from work and do a run before we eat - otherwise it wouldnt happen. Pleased you posted this query as the responses are inspiring me too :bigsmile:
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I work 7a-7p 7 days straight. I get up at 4:30, out the door by 5ish. I am at the gym, get my workout, hit the showers at 6:20 am. Everything gets packed the night before. I bring breakfast, lunch, snacks and sometimes dinner to work. It takes planning and discipline. It does become a habit. Good luck!
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya. I have found that the only way to get it done is to do my exercise first thing in the AM before my day gets going. If I wait til later in the day, there is always some emergency that ties me up, or I get home at 7pm and I am hungry and too wiped out to exercise.

You just have to treat it like any other part of your personal health and grooming routine - - like brushing your teeth or washing your hair. You may not want to do it, but you do it every day anyway. It's gotta be on the schedule and a priority however many days a week you have set it for. If you try to "Fit it in" like a book club or some other hobby that is a non-priority item, you won't do it very often.

I hate mornings as much as anyone, I really do. But, you do get used to getting up that hour earlier or whatever after you do it for a couple of months. I actually have more energy now than I did before I stared getting up at 4:45 to work out.

Good luck to you! :happy:
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have had a two hour plus commute (each way) for the last 7 years.

A typical day for me is:

5:15 – 5:30 am wake up, roll out of bed, morning stuff

5:30-5:45 finish getting ready for work, check on the ferrets

5:45 – 7:45 commute time (includes a mile long walk from the train station to the office)

7:45 – 4:00 work, eat breakfast & lunch at desk, use my hour of break time to walk around Boston

4:00 – 6:00 (includes a mile walk to train station) commute home

6:00 – 9:00 cook, eat dinner, catch up with husband, play with the ferrets and clean their cages, straighten house, and at least 2X a week squeeze in a 30 to 60 minute walk or run. In the winter, this will change to 2X a week going to the gym for at least 30 minutes, but probably longer. I prefer to be outside though. If I feel I am not spending enough time with the ferrets, I will take one of them with me on my walk. Some weeks I do more but I try to aim for at least twice during the weekdays.

9:00 – 10:30ish – unwind, watch tv, read etc. Then sleep.

This obviously changes a bit day by day but it’s a pretty good idea of how often I am moving around walking/running.

Weekends it’s easier. Either Saturday or Sunday, I will devote a 3 hour block of time to walking and/or running. This means 3 hours of not doing something else. I am able to do this most weekends just by cutting out a movie or watching tv. I try to stay on my feet as much as possible during the weekend when I’m not walking or running. Almost every other weekend, I have something going on for the ferret shelter. Usually these things involve 2 hours+ of standing and passing out educational info at pet stores so it keeps me on my feet. If hubby and I are going somewhere, we try to make it somewhere we can walk around, like a day trip to another city or something.

I keep free weights in my house and I will use them at random times during the day. I might literally just do a few reps while waiting for water to boil on the stove or waiting for the last 10 minutes of laundry to be done etc.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 a.m. and hit the gym, it's either that or I don't lift...it's all about how much you want it.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit.

You'll simply have to force yourself to do it. Doesn't matter if you feel like it or not. Just do it. After a while, a month or so, it will become a habit and not a chore. At least for me that's how it worked. It really is all about your inner motivation.
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit.

You'll simply have to force yourself to do it. Doesn't matter if you feel like it or not. Just do it. After a while, a month or so, it will become a habit and not a chore. At least for me that's how it worked. It really is all about your inner motivation.

This. I have a 9 year old and husband that works shift work. I still work out 6 -7 days a week. It's not always easy, and sometimes I am working out at 8 or 9pm. I have no set time to work out, I just know that I have to do it change myself... Sometimes my daughter has to scooter with me while I run, or I try to work out while she practices piano... it really is all about how much you want it.

I know it's hard, and sometimes you feel like it's just not worth it and you are too tired to work out; but start - just do the first 10 minutes and if you still aren't into it by then quit and don't feel guilty but try honestly to get into it. ( I have heard/read this in so many places I can't even give credit - but it's not me)

Good luck!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It is rough when working those kinds of hours.
    As someone else suggestion, try to get in major workouts on the days you don't work. Fit in what you can on work days. Some of the kinds of things you can consider (not all will work for you):
    * walk on the train (some places discourage this, but others don't mind)
    * check out exercises you can do while sitting -- do them on the train, at work, you can even do some while driving
    * if you have a desk/phone job, try to stand while on the phone (that doesn't work for me since I'm also demonstrating things on the computer during many phone meetings, but I know people who use their mobile phones and pace the halls while making calls), use a small hand weight or resistance band while on the phone or even while writing (focus on your other arm when exercising to balance), 1/2 leg lifts under the desk or table
    * "sneak" in other "bits" of exercise -- march in place while you brush your teeth, do knee bends in the shower (careful about your balance)
    * do whatever exercise you can over lunch and breaks
    * if you can't exercise the amount you'd like, do what you can; don't make it an all-or-nothing choice
    * try out different times... before breakfast, after breakfast, when you first get home, after you get home and take a brief break, once you find a time where you can fit in 5 minutes, can you figure out a way to make it 10 minutes?
    * can you do something like eating your dinner on the commute home, so you have more time for exercise once you arrive? same for breakfast... if you aren't too hungry, could you wait and eat during your commute, giving yourself a few minutes to exercise.
    It used to be thought that only intense, concentrated periods of exercise "counted", but research is now supporting the idea that exercise spread out over the day is also healthy.
    Some people say it's just a matter of motivation, but I disagree. When you are working and commuting that many hours, it takes both motivation, but also some creativity to figure out how to fit in all the things that are important. You may need to try multiple things before you can come up with something that works for you. Good luck!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour days. I leave for work at 4, and get home around 6. Last week I split my workout, by getting up an hour early, and doing cardio before work, and weights after work. I hate going to the gym after work, though, so most days I try to fit my workout in before work.