Philosophical Question:

Options
Charlie003
Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
Would you willingly give up your lifr to save a strangers child?

To be clear, the child would be saved, you will die. Both criteria are absolute.

Replies

• shimewazaMan
    Options
    Yes. No hesitation. I would hope someone in the same position would do the same for my kids.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    Yes. No hesitation. I would hope someone in the same position would do the same for my kids.

Couldn't have said it better.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    I would say yes as well... I am a parent and I know how precious children are to their parents... I would do anything in my power for any kid.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said it better.

ditto!
  • peles_fire
    Options

This. Without a doubt.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh - too many variables here tugging at my heart! But I'm gonna have to go with no. I have a child of my own to live for. Couldn't leave her in this world alone. I don't have a mom here so...I know how sucky that is :(
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the "right" answer is "yes", but I can't say absolutely that I would. No, I'm not a cold-hearted B!+ch, but I do have young children of my own that I need to be around for to take care of and raise. They need their Mommy. I mean, that's kind of why I'm on this weight loss journey - so I can do my best to be around for my kids. Perhaps if I didn't have kids or if my kids were grown adults.. Just keeping it honest.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh - too many variables here tugging at my heart! But I'm gonna have to go with no. I have a child of my own to live for. Couldn't leave her in this world alone. I don't have a mom here so...I know how sucky that is :(

This... I couldn't leave my kids without a mom.
  • fields69
    Options
    Whatever your opinion in the cold light of day, most people cannot easily control their response in an extreme adrenalin-fueled situation. I don't think most people would consider it as giving up their life, since they would automatically try to help without thinking. I personally wouldn't do the classic "oh my god here comes a runaway bus, I'm going to push that child out of the way and then stand here transfixed while the bus bears down on me", I would almost certainly try to save myself as well. I may not succeed, but I would try.

I think most people would help a child. The surety increased in me after I became a father, and I'm not sure how I'd feel if I'd never had a child.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the "right" answer is "yes", but I can't say absolutely that I would. No, I'm not a cold-hearted B!+ch, but I do have young children of my own that I need to be around for to take care of and raise. They need their Mommy. I mean, that's kind of why I'm on this weight loss journey - so I can do my best to be around for my kids. Perhaps if I didn't have kids or if my kids were grown adults.. Just keeping it honest.
    This.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Of course everyone would love to say yes I absolutely would save the child and give up my life but until you're actually in the situation how do you know how you'll react?

I hope to never know the answer :-) and I hope if I do find out the answer I would choose to save the child!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Im gonna have to go with no. I have five kids, and they would be f***ed without me. =(

If I had no kids of my own, definitely.

Edit: If my children were grown, then yes, goodbye everybody ~ party down at my funeral =)
  • Alford96
    Options
    I hope that I would, but in that situation, I don't know. I have 4 kids (18 y/o - 2.5 y/o) and they need their Mommy too!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    No.

That was easy to answer.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My first instinct would be to jump right in and say, "yes, absolutely... I would die for someone else's child."

But then I have to stop and consider that my child will be left fatherless. He will be left without training from the one man in his life the cares for him more passionately than any other man. He will be left without my love and devotion and encouragement for the rest of his entire life.

I'm not willing to leave my son fatherless. My heart would be broken for the parents of the lost child... utterly broken. My commitment is to my son. Forever...

Perhaps this sounds selfish... but I have an obligation to the people that depend on me most and I intend to spend all of my days pouring myself out for them and serving them with all of my heart.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Probably not. I'm not that "good" of a person, and I'm not a big fan of children. I'm not even sure I'd do it for a child I know and like.

Also, for those parents who say yes, I wonder what would happen to your children if you died? I'm not trying to be callous here, but who would take care of your children? Also, even if the child is well cared for after, losing a parent is very difficult for children. I would think that these would be considerations given that you have made a commitment to your own children by having them.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My first instinct would be to jump right in and say, "yes, absolutely... I would die for someone else's child."

But then I have to stop and consider that my child will be left fatherless. He will be left without training from the one man in his life the cares for him more passionately than any other man. He will be left without my love and devotion and encouragement for the rest of his entire life.

I'm not willing to leave my son fatherless. My heart would be broken for the parents of the lost child... utterly broken. My commitment is to my son. Forever...

Perhaps this sounds selfish... but I have an obligation to the people that depend on me most and I intend to spend all of my days pouring myself out for them and serving them with all of my heart.

This doesn't sound selfish to me at all.
  • cblevitron
    Options
    Contrary to the popular response, I would like to say no, however if I were in the situation I believe I would be inclined to save the child. I'm a very protective person, usually without much thought about it.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yes