Bra sizing after inches lost?

Options
2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    So many women wear the wrong size bra! Don't be afraid of a 32" band. I thought I was a 36DD for years before I got a proper fitting and discovered I was... 34G. Seriously, WTH, right? Now that I've lost some inches, I may be needing 32" bands soon. I also hope to lose some cup sizes because 34G is hard enough to find, I'm not too interested in being a 32H/I...

I believe that. I realized two nights ago I'd been wearing the wrong band size for probably 20 years. Because - as someone else said, I didn't think I needed as big a cup size as I do and I compensated for it by getting a bigger band and just a C or D cup.

I swear I look 10 years younger with the new bra.

I ordered a DD with the smaller band yesterday online, but just one as I still have 15 pounds left to go and am shedding inches faster than pounds. I may yet get back to that 34" band (I'm 5'10").
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree to find someone to measure for you. I went to Victoria's Secret and they were great for me, but I definitely fit within the sizes they carry.

I went in wearing a 34B, worried they were going to tell me I needed to go down to an A cup. To my surprise, I measured at a 32C. I knew that the band on my old bras was a little loose, but I thought it had just gotten stretched out over the years. I have never before worn a band size smaller than 34, even in high school when I was 10+ pounds lighter than I am now. 32C is the "sister size" to 34B, since the band size is a little smaller and the cup size bigger. However, I don't really think the actual cup is any bigger than my B bras.

Wearing the right size makes a huge difference in appearance and comfort.
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ladies, help! Y'all are so knowledgeable up in this thread, maybe you could give me some advice too? Ever since I lost 20 pounds (my ticker starts at a lower weight, I was 215) I can't get a decent bra. I used to wear 40G or H and now I've been measured for everything from a 38DDD to a 42DDD! Funny thing is, we have an awesome bra shop near me but every girl in there has measured me differently.

My problem is my breasts are teardrop shaped. They are much heavier and fuller at the bottom, and they hang a lot for a 27-year-old. I was told to bend over with my back even to the ground to measure my bust, since if I stand they are stretched and the measuring is inaccurate. Using that method, I get 48 1/4". My underbust measures at 38.

The 42DDDs I got are too big in the band after wearing them for a few hours, but the cup seems ok. The 38DDD takes talent to cram everything in it, and I end up uncomfortably squished. So, who can recommend a size with the above information? I would be forever grateful!
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Ladies, help! Y'all are so knowledgeable up in this thread, maybe you could give me some advice too? Ever since I lost 20 pounds (my ticker starts at a lower weight, I was 215) I can't get a decent bra. I used to wear 40G or H and now I've been measured for everything from a 38DDD to a 42DDD! Funny thing is, we have an awesome bra shop near me but every girl in there has measured me differently.

My problem is my breasts are teardrop shaped. They are much heavier and fuller at the bottom, and they hang a lot for a 27-year-old. I was told to bend over with my back even to the ground to measure my bust, since if I stand they are stretched and the measuring is inaccurate. Using that method, I get 48 1/4". My underbust measures at 38.

The 42DDDs I got are too big in the band after wearing them for a few hours, but the cup seems ok. The 38DDD takes talent to cram everything in it, and I end up uncomfortably squished. So, who can recommend a size with the above information? I would be forever grateful!

Have them measure you while your wearing an unpacked bra so they'll be in the right place and you'll get an accurate measurement. The band should be snug and level (not riding up onto your back) the edge or the wire or fabric on the bottom of the bra should be just outside if where the side of your boob is (hard to explain but hope that makes sense. Basically it should have a little bit of room on the side so you aren't spilling out) if you go down a band size try going up a cup size. So a 38G? (reading us bra sizes it seems like a DDD is same as an F?)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

You have to measure IN a bra. I'm going to send you a message :-)
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50lbs and dropped 4 dress sizes but my bust is still the same- 36H.

:noway:
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When your back measurement shrinks but your boobage spills out of the next size down you need to up the cup size.
    Seriously if you can, go to a proper boutique for your bras. Ive wasted untold amounts of money buying from supermarkets and high street fashion type shops and always ended up with a poor fit after 1st wash, underwire jabs and strap malfunctions. I have 2 bras now that fit perfectly. As I lose the weight I will go back and replace after being measured properly. Having the right bra is so important for posture as well as shape AND shopping in a nice bra store will spur you on to get into all of the lovely things they have!