SERIOUSLY 1 LB!!!!????

Options

Replies

• julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I think you are using a skewed starting point since your digital scale and dr. office scale were not calibrated the same. 1lb a week is excellent and a lot of work. More importantly, it's safe. My doctor's office weight is never less than 6-7lbs different than my home scale and my home scale is usually a couple of lbs off of my gym scale. Stick with one and use it as a barometer.

Mmm hmm
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    I always weigh more on the doctor's scale. I have on all of my clothes and my appointments are usually in the afternoon. However, at home I do my weigh-ins bare and in the morning. Pick a consistent method and stick with it. Also, don't poo poo one pound. A loss is a loss in my book!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    On 09/10/12 I weighed in at 241 lbs at the Dr's office. I started using MFP, counting calories and logging in my excercises. Then on 09/14/12 I weighed in at 231 lbs! on my digital scale at home. 10 lbs in a matter of days!! cool, whos not going to be happy about that? it is a little dramatic though. Any way my weekly weigh ins are on Fridays so today I get on my scale and it reads 230 lbs. 1 lb! THATS IT!!!???? >:/ I was hoping for at least 3-4 lbs. I have no idea what happend haven't changed anything. Do you think it could be that I started my period this week? and also MFP has been telling me that I'm consuming too few calories, do you think maybe my body is in starvation mode? or maybe the 10 lbs was way too much weight to lose in such little amount of time that my body is saying to slow down. IDK but that was depressing and it made me mad. What do you all think and has this happened to you?

The first ten pounds may have been alot of excess water in your system, which would explain why you lost so much, so quickly. The recommended rate of weight loss is 1-2lbs/week, so you were actually within that range this week. Don't expect to have huge losses every week. Just be happy that it was a loss. Every step forward is a step in the right direction, and even baby steps count. 3500 calories=1lb of bodyweight. In other words, you need to create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories over the course of several days to lose 1lb of weight. Just keep eating right and exercising every day and you will eventually reach your goal, just don't expect to get there overnight. It's a long, slow, sometimes maddening process. One of my MFP friends posted this quote about the link between failure and success the other day, and I LOVE it: "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan
  • BlondieSuess
    BlondieSuess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'Ve been on the same boat, just keep doing what you have been doing and the weight will fall right off. For me personally, I found that if I eat right at my goal then I tend to loose more. Test and it out and see if it works for you. I also found that if I take a couple of rest days from exercising then that helps a lot too. But remember, that 11 pounds is an awesome accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I definitely gain weight when it's my TOM. Don't panic! I say just keep doin' what you're doin' and see what the scale says next week. (Unless you want to consider eating more... but I won't pretend to be an expert about that.)
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh and if you are obese or overweight. People with more weight tends to lose a lot in the first few weeks if they exercise and eat right. Eat up to what your calories says you should eat. Don't eat less, it would definitely affect you. If you are eating right then it is just your body slowly losing the lbs. Seriously, I have to say losing 10 lbs within a week is nice but sounds kinda fishy because 10 lbs in a week seems unhealthy. Lol. Make sure you are eating your calories correctly. Heck, I'm only losing a lb per week.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Few things..

One...

Start with one scale. Write down that number and use that. I'd suggest your home scale.

Two...

Realize that one pound a week is a good loss....expecting huge numbers unless you are expending huge amounts of calories is just unrealistic.

Three...

You're going to have gains, little losses, no losses and all sorts of fun along the way...accept them and move on. The body is complex.

Four...

Please accept now that during your period, everything fluctuates..your weight..your mood...possibly your cravings..it's not the end of the world and your body will regulate again the following week.

Five...

GOOD LUCK! :)
  • ewestsca
    ewestsca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I lost 10 lbs and then nothing. I'm doing the same things I did to lose the first 10. It's like, what the heck is going on?
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In any given week, you should aim to lose 1-2 pounds. Any more than that is not sustainable long term and often leads to gaining it back. Take it slow and steady and you'll keep it off. I know it's more fun when it comes off fast, but slow and steady is the healthy way to do it. And make sure you eat at least 1200 cals, and you may need even more if you have a lot to lose. I average 1600-2000 a day (I workout 30-60 minutes of weights or cardio 5-6 days a week) and I've been losing just under 2 pounds a week for the last 8 weeks. There is no reason to starve yourself to lose weight.

If you haven't read it, I always suggest people read Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet. It taught me so much about nutrition and helps keep me motivated.
  • pinknecessarily
    Options
    what's TDEE?
    Firstly, starvation mode doesn't exist. It's just a reaction called Adaptive Thermogenesis. Figure out your TDEE and then take away 30%. Much better than the rubbish numbers MFP throws out.

Secondly, weight loss isn't a set scale. You won't lose a set number per week I'm afraid, and there will be more than one stall along the way. Don't just measure with a scale. :)
  • destinee1103
    destinee1103 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert I started not long ago but I do know you want to stick to one scale all scales are different 2 to 6 lbs off, I have heard being on you period gives u extra lbs, look up one pound of meat you will be glad u lost it and not gained it :) its all about baby steps :)
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    10lbs first week is normal.. it starts slowing down after the excess water is leaving your body and now you are burning fat. Be patient. it took you years to put it on, it will take time to remove it. 1lb a week is great! I haven't lost 1 lb in a month at this point. Inches.. yes.. lbs no.
  • Farmerj2000
    Farmerj2000 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think you are using a skewed starting point since your digital scale and dr. office scale were not calibrated the same. 1lb a week is excellent and a lot of work. More importantly, it's safe. My doctor's office weight is never less than 6-7lbs different than my home scale and my home scale is usually a couple of lbs off of my gym scale. Stick with one and use it as a barometer.

this^^^^^
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Haha! Take a deep breath! Like someone else said, you weighed in on two scales which are probably not calibrated. But it probably was a huge loss in that first week. You're not likely to have huge losses every week. Did you expect that you would lose all the weight you want in a matter of weeks? Not going to happen. Just take it one week at a time. That "ONLY one pound" is actually huge...it's one more pound down. So....hold your head high. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be, what did you weigh on your scale the day you went to the Dr's office? The difference between two scales can be huge.

Also, your weight can change as much as 5 or more lbs during the course of a day, so weighing yourself at the same time (I usually weigh in the mornings because that's usually when you'll be the lightest) is a good practice.

Water weight plays a pretty big role as well, and since you've started your period, that's going to play a major role in how your body is going to react to things.

1 lb = 1 lb and that's 1 lb gone. If you're expecting 10 lbs a week or every 2 weeks then you're going to be mad a lot. If you don't expect this to happen really fast, then you won't get disappointed at yourself and give up. It's a process, and like all processes, it will take as long as it needs to happen, but it WILL happen! Smile, you're doing GREAT!!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    1lb is absolutely fine! Its what you should be aiming for! 1-2lbs a week is a healthy rate of loss. The reason your first loss was so much is probably down to your body shedding water weight etc. There may be some weeks you will only lose 0.5lbs or maybe even none at all but that is just the nature of this journey. Stick with it, don't be mad or upset/disheartened when you see a lower number than you expected on the scale. Any loss is still a loss regardless of how little it is.

My advice would be weigh yourself only once a week- in the morning before you eat or drink and after you've been to the bathroom. I do this every Monday but you can pick whatever day suits you. Also try and weigh on a hard floor if you can. Try and pay more attention to how your clothes are fitting etc than what it says on the scale. You can end up really torturing yourself over the numbers. Take progress photos throughout your journey and have a look at my forum post from earlier "Clothing Comparisons for Perspective". There are lots more ways to see your weight loss rather than the scales.

Good luck and well done!
    Jx
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    Few things..

One...

Start with one scale. Write down that number and use that. I'd suggest your home scale.

Two...

Realize that one pound a week is a good loss....expecting huge numbers unless you are expending huge amounts of calories is just unrealistic.

Three...

You're going to have gains, little losses, no losses and all sorts of fun along the way...accept them and move on. The body is complex.

Four...

Please accept now that during your period, everything fluctuates..your weight..your mood...possibly your cravings..it's not the end of the world and your body will regulate again the following week.

Five...

GOOD LUCK! :)

excellent post

and we can't see your food diary, it is not public.
  • Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My digital scale is always 5 lbs off from my Dr, so u should have weighed yourself on your digital the first day also to get your starting weight if that's the scale you are going to continue to go by. next, the first week of weight loss I have found is generally going to be higher because you lose a lot of water weight when you change your diet (lower sodium and such), so the following weeks are generally not going to produce as high of a loss, finally - Yes, during the TOM you generally retain water and will be heavier - I steer clear of the scale this week :-)
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    you have 100 lbs to loose? One pound a week is a good healthy loss.
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    My first thought would be, what did you weigh on your scale the day you went to the Dr's office? The difference between two scales can be huge.

Also, your weight can change as much as 5 or more lbs during the course of a day, so weighing yourself at the same time (I usually weigh in the mornings because that's usually when you'll be the lightest) is a good practice.

Water weight plays a pretty big role as well, and since you've started your period, that's going to play a major role in how your body is going to react to things.

1 lb = 1 lb and that's 1 lb gone. If you're expecting 10 lbs a week or every 2 weeks then you're going to be mad a lot. If you don't expect this to happen really fast, then you won't get disappointed at yourself and give up. It's a process, and like all processes, it will take as long as it needs to happen, but it WILL happen! Smile, you're doing GREAT!!

I agree, did you weigh yourself immediately at home after you weighed on the dr.s scale? Honestly, I would start with that 1lb and go from here forward on your scale at home.