HELP! I can't do any strenuous activity for 4 months!

Options
Oh man...I just got back from the doctor and she had some depressing news for me: Apparently the space between two of the vertebrae in my lower spine is "narrowing" and I am not allowed to do any of the activities I have always done: run, lift heavy weights, or do any sort of jumping/plyometrics/etc...basically any very strenuous activity. I was actually supposed to be running a half-marathon on October 7th (a birthday present to myself...my birthday is October 6th) but now I obviously can't do that.

This is hard on me because this level of working out has always been my go-to and my way to relieve stress. My doctor told me I can walk and do low impact activity, but I'm worried I won't get the same feeling from it. The only other things I can think of that I might be able to do are swimming and maybe spinning...maybe.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? Anything is appreciated!

Replies

• 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What about swimming?? I would try swimming, walking... ummm that is all i can think of right now :(
  • Thundermtn
    Options
    Did your doctor give you anything you can do? Or just what you cant do? Is there a fix? A way to stop the issue? or reverse it?
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Go YOGA,best Rehab out there coupled with good nutrition.
  • kimharper13
    Options
    I know the feeling, I have a stress fracture in my tibia that has limited my work outs as well. I swim 6 times a week for an hour and a half, cycle 3 times a week and do strength training in my upper body only 3 times a day. There are things you can do when the doctor limits you. I LOVE the swimming, if you an indoor pool anywhere around you. Plus there is water aerobics that are not stressful on you.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Can you do high intensity workouts in the pool?
  • tksolis
    Options
    So sorry to hear that! It's like I could have written your post--all the way down to the specific workouts you do--so I definitely sympathize. I had a lower back injury at the beginning of the year, shortly after beginning training for a half marathon, that sidelined me for a few months. Even now, it still bothers me occasionally, but I finished my half marathon and actually was able to very gradually ease my preferred activities back in one by one.

Are you going through surgery or therapy for it? If so, you should ask your health care provider for more guidance. Swimming is universally recommended, but I had to ask about alternatives because I didn't have access to a pool. I had to limit myself to the elliptical (no to very low resistance) for about a month and a half, and then eased into yoga when I got the go-ahead from my physical therapist. Also look into exercises that have you sitting on the exercise ball--you can work on your core while relieving pressure on your back. All the best to you!
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been avoiding my gym for a few months now for several reasons but i still wanted to loose weight. In the past month I just added 2 half hour walks a day and as of now have lost 13 pounds. I am really enjoying it. Soon I will go back to the gym but I am amazed at how much just watching my calorie intake and walking has done for me.
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your guidance! Your suggestions are very much appreciated. :)

The gym in my community has a very nice pool so I will definitely be using that. I'm also allowed to walk and do yoga/pilates as long as it isn't a move that would put pressure on my back or tweak it in any way.

I called my doctor this morning, and she is going to issue an order for physical therapy for me to start soon. Luckily, my insurance covers 40 visits, but hopefully I won't need all of those!

Basically right now they want me to take it easy, take a strong B vitamin to help with the nerves in my back, and to also take a strong anti-inflammatory like Aleve two times a day to help with the inflamation. If it doesn't get any better then I'm going to have to go in for an MRI to see if there's a more serious issue, like a slipped disk or something. Hopefully taking it easy will help!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Swimming, yoga, cycling/spinning, pilates, elliptical bikes.

http://www.elliptigo.com/