Eating Clean

Options
2»

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice people .. i am a bit concerned hat buying fresh will be more costly .. does anyone else find this ? and also it doesent last as long? x
  • karrathachick
    karrathachick Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been finding it's mostly cheaper. Except for fresh herbs which are a bit expensive here but on the whole the grocery bill is way down. I've found a great magazing in Australia called Clean Eating the recipes are fantastic. All sorts of interesting and healthy meals made with mostly wholefoods & minimal processed stuff and it twists ordinary recipes like tacos for instance into a wholefoods, healthy versions- and it's delicious!
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Many foods are processed to a certain extent. Extra virgin olive oil still has to be extracted from the olive. The concern comes when the process strips the food of its nutrients and fibre and adds sugar, salt and chemicals.

For example, I've got two jars of peanut butter here, one from the health food shop and one from the supermarket.

One contains peanuts (96%) and palm oil.

The other contains peanuts (91%), peanut oil, cane sugar, vegetable oil, salt.

Now having a spoonful of the second one isn't going to kill you, but it's clear which one is the healthier choice.

That to me is what eating 'clean' boils down to: making healthier choices.

I still eat refined grains like pasta and rice. I just eat less of them, less often. It's not the healthiest, but it is healthier.

My tips would be

1. If you're not already doing so, monitor your sugar intake. It may come as a shock.

2. Look at it as an experiment. Have fun with it. Don't just cut out foods, add foods, too. And pay attention to how you feel.

3. Don't be afraid of fat. Most low-fat and fat-free products are laden with sugar and additives. Healthy fats in moderation fill us up; sugar makes us want to eat more and more and turns directly to fat in the body anyway.

4. Cook for yourself. This is the best way of knowing what you're eating. Cook in bulk and freeze extra meals, if you can. Then you know you've always got nutritious, filling meals at home, just ten minutes in the microwave away. No need to order take out or buy a ready meal.

5. Be kind to yourself. This is the most important one. I've suffered from depression for most of my life and self-care has been a struggle at times. When I'm eating healthily, I feel like I'm taking care of myself. Sure, it's more expensive to buy organic peanut butter (for example) and I have to find time to cook my own meals - but that time and money is an investment in my health and well-being. Whenever I have a bad day now and begin to berate myself (you know, 'Oh, I should have sent that e-mail earlier; now they won't get it till tomorrow morning and it'll probably be too late by then and everyone will think I'm a screw up and they'd be right, I'm no good for anything') I go and buy myself a packet of herbal tea. It's like a hug in a mug. Because we all have bad days - it doesn't mean we're bad people. I used to eat bad food because I felt bad, but it only made me feel worse. I didn't think I deserved any better, but I do and so do you and so does everybody.

Feel free to add me if you want to look at my diary for ideas.
  • Sharebear1963
    Options
    I find it does cost more, but if you eat out less, and pack your lunch, you save in other ways. I never counted my lunch expense as grocery expense, but if I did, it would be about the same. If I would stop paying for soda, it would probably be less. That is the one area that I have not changed (I only have one in the morning, but it is a 32 ounce glass that I take to work with me to start my day)--note to self: quit that!!

So, as you can see, I am still struggling with eating clean--I am at about 85%. It is hard with a family, but they are starting to understand the benefits and are getting better, too. My son stilll wants white rice, and I have a love for potato chips (I am really trying to stop this).

We do really well with fresh vegetables. We all eat them!!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice people .. i am a bit concerned hat buying fresh will be more costly .. does anyone else find this ? and also it doesent last as long? x

If you are a diehard bargain hunter, it should not be more expensive... plus, if you are fortunate to live in a region/country where its warmers for longer periods of time, growing your own garden is definitely a bonus!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Freeze it. Whatever it is, freeze it. Freeze meat, freeze vegetables, freeze fruit ... I even freeze bread if it's a BOGO sale and I won't use it all at once.

Shop sales, buy what's in season and a good price.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    A farmer's market is quite cheap comparatively. buying frozen come very close to fresh.
    I bag of frozen quality vegetables is much cheaper than a bag of chips. same with a bunch of carrots/celery.

The one thing that will be more expensive is lettuces, so buy it when on sale. (except spinach)

I think one problem many people have is they don't have a good grasp on cooking.

Also skip "white foods" such as white rice, white bread, that sort. foods with ingredients that are hard to pronounce. fructose corn syrup and blended veg. oils.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love eating clean. The biggest benefit for me is being able to control what gets 'hidden' in processed foods - sodium, fats and sugars that do not need to be added. Additionally, eating clean keeps my diet free of most preservatives.

Some cost saving ideas that I found useful are:

- Buy Ezekial bread - it is sprouted and delicious. In my area it comes frozen, so we keep it in the freezer and break off a slice as we need it. We never waste a crumb.
    - Grow some of our own and freeze or can produce.
    - Batch cook. I always cook for an army and then freeze it. It works out much cheaper per serving.
    - Keep my eye on the sales. For ethical reasons I only buy meat that is organic, but it is crazy expensive. We don't have it often, but I always watch for the sales and then stock up.
    - I haunt the farmers market. I go towards the close of the weekly market and my local farmer is usually happy to throw me a box together at a discounted rate.
    - Plan, plan, plan!

I still eat processed foods now and then.....but boy, after that slice of pizza or mcdonalds, I really feel gross. I love being able to do right by my body and feed it well!