Alcohol

13»

Replies

• Ok so I like to have a drink or two in the evenings myself. I enjoy have vodka, and its seems to be the concensus, jsut dont use juices to mix. I like the Fresca and lime idea, I may try that one. Just remember 1 shot of vodka is 100 calories. So take that in consideration when you are caculating your daily calories. Also just as a side note Miller 64 is a good choice, 64 calories. Also Budweiser has Bud 55. 55 calories.

Good luck!!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    My sister did a lot of "research" on this subject. Purely scientific I assure you. She has determined that gin and diet tonic is the way to go if you're looking for the most drunk for the fewest calories. I think it tastes like drinking a pine tree so I prefer rum and diet Coke.
  • Lwoodslim
    Lwoodslim Posts: 31 Member
    I like Micalobe Ultra if I'm having numerous beers, 95 cal/beer which is less than most light beers (115/beer) and much less than specality beers (150-200cal/beer). I'm not drinking for the flavor (although I am fond of the catus lime) but if I'm making it a night out I save a few hundred calories by making this choice. I'm dying to try the new light malt cider from Micalobe, because I love hard cider but at 200 cal/bottle, I don't drink it too often. Dry wines have much fewer calories than the sweeter versions. I believe burbon and gin have pretty low calorie counts (60-70 cal/oz). I think the key is to plan your week and if you know you'll be celebrating with a few drinks workout harder that day, or stay under the rest of the week to have some extra calories to splurge on.
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    The best advice I could give you is to log in every alcoholic beverage, exactly the way you do for the food.
    1) it'll make you realize how caloric alcoholic beverages can be,
    2) how many drinks you can have in one evening (this might be surprising sometimes)
    3) it'll help you to stay on track, make smarter choices

Good luck!

I did exactly this and bought the exact amount I plan to drink. I planned my food for the day accordingly and planned exercise around my day. I know someone mentioned it's never okay to drink, but if I'm going to make this a lifestyle change and not just a quick loss diet I need to be realistic. I like to drink sometimes. End of story. I like to eat, (that's why I got fat I like this too much!) but I need to do something I will stick with. Saying I will never drink or eat a cheeseburger again is not real for me.
  • When ethanol is introduced to the body it takes priority above all other macronutrients in the matabolic cascade. All other proceses of fats, carbs, and protein come to a halt until ethanol is elminated. Ethanol breaksdown by alcohol dehydrogense (which is in far less concentrations in women) into acetylaldehyde. Acetylaldehyde is further metabolized to acetone and an acetyl group by acetylaldehyde dehydrogenase (an enzyme lacking in asians, thats why theyre "allergic" and turn red)

Now that you know that: since all other processes stop to the priority of ethanol that means any macronutrients taken in with/before that drink now take a back seat. Why does this contribute to fat gains? Well, if that drink has sugars in it, they spike insulin and insulin promotes nutrient uptake to the body but if it's uncalled for it goes into fat storages. Anything hanging around in the system in the presence of alcohol finds its way to adipose tissue or the urinary track.

Alcohol is non-insulinogenic. bomb calorimetric scale say alcohol sits around 7calories/g but through thermogenic effects it's really something like 5.4. If youre gonna drink that day: limit grams fats to about 0.3g/bodyweight, keep protein closer to maintenance as to not allw glucneogenesis,and eliminate carbs to make way for the calories consumed by alcohol. And dont eat too close to drinks.

Stick to clear liquids and stay away from sugars. Whiskey and vodka are the safe bets. Red wine helps metabolism. Beer is great for carbs :)
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Whipped cream vodka with diet Dr. Pepper. Tastes amazing. That said, I drink maybe once a month.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Vodka with Fresca and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. 'Corvette Summer' courtesy of Anthony Bourdain. :wink:

Oh this sounds good!!
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Thanks for all the help! Like I said, I want my weight loss to be a lifestyle change that I can stick with. If it takes me two years to lose the weight I'm fine with that. I feel better and better everyday that I eat well and exercise. I would rather lose slow and feel sane rather than going crazy literally! Been there done that and I gained every pound back plus some! Thanks again! Great ideas!!!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    plain gin, rum, vodka and tequila have the same calories, maybe off by 1 or 2 per brand, but that's it.

80 proof is 80 proof regardless of the type. However, different alcohols affect people differently.
    tequila me sick, rum does nothing, vodka works best for me, wine just makes me sleepy. Tequila makes one friend very violent for some reason. Rum is the only liquor my husband can handle on a regular basis.

80 proof gin and diet tonic has the same amount of calories as 80 proof rum and diet.
  • As the others have said, loads of low calorie alcohol options, however watch the sugar levels.

I had a glass of moscato rose earlier this week and one glass had 15g of sugar but only 106 cals.............!

You know what sugar turns into.........
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 429 Member
    Depending on how strict you want to be, I would limit your alcohol intake. I would suggest drinking in moderation and hydrating afterwards. Every now and again, a glass of wine is nice but after logging, I was shocked at the amount of calories and carbs each glass has. I still have one now and again if my limits permit or to enjoy with a dinner or a celebration. I've never been a beer drinker and used to drink bar type mixed drinks, but too was blown away at the calories, carbs and sugars in them. My new fix is a skinny margarita I make as follows: 1 shot of tequila (69 calories) over ice (0) LOL with a 12 ounce can of diet mountain dew (0) and 1/8 of a tsp of crystal light or store brand lime margarita drink mix. 78 calories total with no carbs and very refreshing alternative! I even have my hubby hooked on them :)
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    I try to limit my alcohol consumption to shots because they're fewer calories each than most beers and get you drunk faster. :drinker:

A new favorite of mine is to take a shot of vanilla vodka (I recommend Stoli Vanil, 60 calories/shot I believe) and then follow it with sucking on a lime wedge coated in a brown sugar-cinnamon mix (only a few extra calories). Tastes like apple pie! I believe it's actually called an "Absolut Turnover" but that brand gives me an Absolut Headache so I stick with Stoli. :bigsmile:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    "i love you more than the week i did before i discovered alcohol."
  • I'm better of without it. I am one of 'those'. When I drank I also ate. In the past I tracked my food & drink just to see. Scary. 1600 calories of alcohol + 2400 calories of food = 4000 calories a day. If only I was a hard working lumberjack! Oh well.

One was too many / 10 wasn't enough.

^This! I had a ridiculously high tolerance. Also, not a lumberjack lol. Right after I tried to slow down, I got pregnant, so that definitely made quitting the only option. My daughter is 8 months old now and I think I've had two glasses of wine since she was born. It isn't even appealing anymore...most of the time.
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Gin and slimline tonic. :-D
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    My favorite to date:
    vodka with crystal light pomergranite/cherry water mix. 69 calories per drink.:drinker:
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    vodka (68ish cals) with diet cranberry juice...keeps a "drink" in ur hand so you can sip on it.. never tried tequila with crystal light...i thought about it though.. :)
  • hb817
    hb817 Posts: 53 Member
    I drink a lot of tequila. I just mix it with crystal light, they even have a margarita flavor crystal light now.
    You can also add vodka, doesn't matter.

MY FAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: