Anyone else exercise like crazy but still can't lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Lmullaney79
    Lmullaney79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    when nothing else works- go to a dietician. she can look at your MFP, your exercise, etc. and help you... it's the only thing that worked for me.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio. It's putting too much stress on your body and its holding onto your fat. Try taking away one or two days of the cardio and adding circuit training with weights for an hour instead. Crunches dont do much - do planks if you want to see any type of definition in your mid section. It will pull everything in.

^ this! Cut down on your cardio, maybe just limit it to a two mile run? Add some weights into your routine. I've had better results with squats and deadlifts than with any number of crunches. And planks are such a blessing on your core.
  • bigknight78
    Options
    Too much cardio. It's putting too much stress on your body and its holding onto your fat. Try taking away one or two days of the cardio and adding circuit training with weights for an hour instead. Crunches dont do much - do planks if you want to see any type of definition in your mid section. It will pull everything in.

^ this! Cut down on your cardio, maybe just limit it to a two mile run? Add some weights into your routine. I've had better results with squats and deadlifts than with any number of crunches. And planks are such a blessing on your core.

Totally agree. Optimum body composition happens with solid diet, good cardio & good strength training. Leaving anyone of those 3 elements out means you wont maximise your results. Dont be scared of strength training, more muscle mass means you will burn more calories even when you are resting.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi I recommend switiching up your exercise routines.... to shock your body. Remembering that you loose weight in the kitchen and get fine in the gym. Weigh training is important for women, it will help you to burn more fat .. so incorporate that into your work outs. I would measure your sucess by inches lost rather than lbs lost... just my 2 cents.

I LOVE this comment!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you love running, I wouldn't give it up, but you could CHANGE it up some. Instead of doing 5 10-min miles everyday, you could try a faster tempo run of 3 miles at 9 min pace or go out longer for 7 miles at 11-12 min pace. Also you could add in intervals of sprinting and jogging for 2 miles or so some days or do some hill work. You would still be getting in cardio, but your body wouldn't get used to it so easily since you would be switching things up some day to day. Just my thoughts...I am no where near an expert on the subject ;)

Good luck!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Putting aside any medical issues. It sounds like you need to change up your workout. Your body can get used to the same routine very quickly. Once it is used to your usual exercise regime, it doesn't have to work that hard anymore, which results in fewer calories burned. You should be changing up your workout routine about every 3-4 workouts. Feel free to keep the running, but cut the run in half and toss in a bike ride. Add extra weight/reps to your strength, etc. Like I said, changing up the routine. You have to keep that body of yours guessing!

Also, you may be gaining muscle, which may be a reso why the numbers are matching up on the scale. Your actual weight is just half of it. Muscle and toning is the other half.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    your not exercising long enough.... make your workouts 30-45mins long and you will start to see results, also what do you have you calories set at?

5 miles at 10 mph = 50 minutes.

:laugh: Math FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of other people have said, you would do better to do a longer workout versus several shorter ones.

50 minutes is a long workout. Do you people read posts before you give advice?
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    Kind of in the same boat here. I have been riding bike 3-4 times a week(average 8 miles each time) and then walking /running for 2 miles and weight training 3 days a week....did this for over 2 months without losing any weight...upped the weights to 4 or 5 days...got on the scale last Monday and finally showed a loss of 2 pounds....I have my calories set at 1200. Dont know if this is too low...I want to lose 25 pounds
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    your not exercising long enough.... make your workouts 30-45mins long and you will start to see results, also what do you have you calories set at?

5 miles at 10 mph = 50 minutes.

:laugh: Math FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk

LMAOOO! This was so funny lol
  • mikeDHart55
    Options
    I don't exercise at all and have lost 18 lbs....what i do is for two days a week eat <=500 calories and then for the rest of the week eat relatively normally, around 1500 cals. I have quite busy weekends but the rest of the time I sit at a computer. My fast days are Mon + Tues and I am finding that across wed/thursday my weight drops around 2 lb every week.
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Kind of in the same boat here. I have been riding bike 3-4 times a week(average 8 miles each time) and then walking /running for 2 miles and weight training 3 days a week....did this for over 2 months without losing any weight...upped the weights to 4 or 5 days...got on the scale last Monday and finally showed a loss of 2 pounds....I have my calories set at 1200. Dont know if this is too low...I want to lose 25 pounds

Yeah 1200 calories is to low especially with the added workouts that you are doing,this will be the reason you are not losing?? do you eat back your exercise cals??if you stay at 1200 then you defo need to eat them back. Id recommend you work out your TDEE if you havent already this will set you at the right amount of calories for your activity level.I started at 1200 and upped to 1600 plus i eat some exercise cals back to make sure i net at least my bmr and im losing weight. You can work out your TDEE using Fat2fitradio.com website, first work out your body fat percentage using the military body fat calculator, and then work out your bmr
    Good luck and hope this helps
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are doing great but for greater results and fast fat loss try more cardio workouts instead of just jogging and running. Cardio workouts gives you an afterburn. So if you are on a treadmill instead of running 5 miles straight. Try doing 2 minutes fast run and 1 minute walk...

HIIT TRAINING IS GOOD FOR U too.

TRUST ME. I've been trying cardio workouts and HIIT training and although I'm not losing a lot I'm losing a 1 lb per week.

Cardio workouts give you "afterburn" for about 10-15 minutes.

2 min fast and 1 min slow is intervals.

Hate to tell you, no where near HIIT. And those intervals while useful aren't going to get you near the response of HIIT.

True HIIT is like weight lifting, you would need recovery the day later because you should be sore.

True HIIT is all out for no longer than 15-30 seconds, because you can't go all-out for longer than that, and recovery is 3x as long.

True HIIT will show much more afterburn than cardio, because it's anaerobic, just like weight lifting, and the repair from such an effort burns fat.

Now, to kill the repair and get no benefit from your hard work - do it again the next day instead of rest or gentle workout.
  • karth07
    Options
    You can lose weight buy following some siimple change in your food habits. I had reduced nearly 12 kgs in 80 days and also I feel the energy throughout the day after taking the meal supplement and dry salads from Herbalife. I feel healthy and able to do the work efficiently without any tired feelings after taking the nutiritional shake mix. Losing weight is now made easy :smile:
  • fattarzan
    Options
    count me in and I've been told to change routines in working out so that is where I am at...
  • atlanticgypsy
    atlanticgypsy Posts: 51 Member
    Options

^this! i am proof!

be sure you are drinking enough water and getting 7-8hrs of sleep....try also incorporating other ways of working out. maybe a yoga class? a spin class/bike ride....or maybe an uphill hike? and just relax. ;) I'm pretty much talking to myself right now too. =) stress can also make your body hang on to those pounds

18304147.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

Agree with this
    Two words:

Eat more.

And this
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I came back to note something, then saw that lots of you people have reading comprehension issues. 50 minutes running + 15

THIS^^^^^ ugh! This girl exercises over an hour a day.....50 minutes of it running at ONE time. GEESH people!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Also all the people saying she doesn't work out enough literally can't read. Wow.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ok read more of the thread now. I don't have an answer.