What do you feed a 14 yo boy?

Options
My 14 yo son has started having a ravenous appetite again. He's not that hungry during the day, but at night he turns into an eating machine. What can I offer him that will satisfy this ferocious beast?? He really likes protein, but is not that big on vegetables or fruit. He also has a pretty diverse palate, but doesn't like a lot of the normal "kid" foods. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ALOT.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Mine eats everything and then more.

Not really sure what to suggest, except offering more than a normal human of his size might be able to eat.

Example - mine will pour a whole box of cereal into a salad bowl, cover with milk, and eat it. All.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My 13 yo looovves cut up apples with a side of peanut butter and it tends to tame the ravenous beast. At least for a little while!
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Just keep it healthy.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The same thing you feed a 4 year old boy but lots more of it!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Lock the frig! I'm just kidding, but I do remember those days! Does your son get a lot of exercise? Is he at a healthy weight? That would determine what I would buy. Ask him to make a big list of what he likes, then buy the healthiest stuff.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Feed him all the food.

Can you pre-cook a bunch of pork or chicken to have in a container in the fridge? Something he can slap between a couple slices of bread in a hurry? How about chicken or a pork roast in the crockpot with bbq sauce? Then have a bunch of buns available.

Sorry about your empty cupboards. :laugh:
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't forget some water in all that grub! It'll curb appetite, and its good for ya, and if he doesn't like drinking it, drop some crystal light in to add flavor. (Only way I can stand water sometimes.)
  • christyd4
    Options
    ALOT.

THIS!!! Mine is 14 and eats me out of house and home ...but luckily he eats pretty healthy
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    The souls of the slain.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good time to teach him how to cook scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, smoothies, etc.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Tacos.

ETA: Bacon
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You say he eats at night?

I know this isn't the most popular suggestion but you may want to talk to him about why he's starving himself at lunch time.

My son says most of the food at school is terrible and when I purchase quality meats from the deli and easy to snack on foods like carrots and celery he is more willing to pack a lunch.

He eats again when he gets home from school (he'll be 13 next month) and I try to make sure he's drinking enough water so that he's not confusing hunger with thirst.

Try to make planned leftovers and tell him that he doesn't have to eat it the very next day, but the day after that. This way you know it's ready and easy for him and then you're controlling some of what he's devouring.

Good luck :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Good old pb&j.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Everything.

Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwich or half a chicken (literally) would satisfy me at that age :P
  • Devild0ll
    Options
    My 13 yo eats everything in sight too... I just feed him tons of veggies with his dinner, and tell me he can have more of whatever he wants when he finishes all of his first round. My advice is keep your fingers and toes away from the machinery while in operation! :laugh:
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    cereal and frozen pizzas... lots of them
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    CHICKEN!
  • mdbs2004
    Options
    Goldfish and meal worms.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My boys were both into sports at that age, so I kept protein power in the house, add milk, makes a great protein shake and satifies that hunger. I saw the other suggestions and they were all good too. Cheese & crackers, tuna salad, lots of popcorn, peanut butter, we had tons of this kind of stuff in the house. As long as it's easy to assemble, those boys were happy to make their own.