Hey lifters, what's in your home gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have 565 pounds worth of free-weights, 7 ft. 45 pound barbell, two 40 pound IRON dumbbells, two 10 pound dumbbells, power-rack and bench, and a curl bar.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Olympic Barbell and 300lbs set
    Bench
    DIY squat rack
    Pull up bar
    Mirror

These are what I use for weight training. We have 5, 10, 15, 20lbs dumbbells, kettlebells and etc, but we use those more for cardio workouts.

I am interested in DIY squat rack ideas. The rack that goes with my bench is adjustable for height and I'm currently using it but as the weights go up I will stop feeling comfortable with it. I am wanting to either get a cage or build a better squat rack whenever I get space in my garage.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old granson!!! LOL!!! Sorry...couldn't resist:)

That's one way of being sure your lifts will increase over time! He might resent it in about 10 years, though. :wink:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Olympic Barbell and 300lbs set
    Bench
    DIY squat rack
    Pull up bar
    Mirror

These are what I use for weight training. We have 5, 10, 15, 20lbs dumbbells, kettlebells and etc, but we use those more for cardio workouts.

I am interested in DIY squat rack ideas. The rack that goes with my bench is adjustable for height and I'm currently using it but as the weights go up I will stop feeling comfortable with it. I am wanting to either get a cage or build a better squat rack whenever I get space in my garage.

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

But used racks are not really that expensive. Heck, you can find a new one for $250 sometimes.
  • sirthickness
    Options
    I framed in one bay of my garage for all the equipment I have accumlated:

WEIGHT TRAINING
    -Nautilus rack with adjustable bench, lat tower w/attachments, olympic bar and squat cage
    -400+ lbs of plates (45lb to 2.5lb)
    -flat bench
    -Nautilus adjustable dumb bells (7.5lb to 52.5lb)
    -EZ curl bar
    -24" adjustable box

CARDIO
    -elliptical
    -treadmill
    -recumbent bike

The entire floor is padded. I have an iPod docking station with AM/FM radio in the free weight area. I built a shelf that hands from the ceiling, separating the weight and cardio areas. The cardio equipment is against the back wall, facing the shelf. The shelf has an LCD TV with cable, DVD player and surround sound. stereo. The TV can slide along the shelf so it can be positioned direclty in front of the piece you are using that day.

It took a while and some $$$ to build, but I wanted it to be a place where I would be comfortable and have enough equipment that I wouldn't get bored. Just don't really care for the public gym scene and don't really have the time to go. With this, I just walk into my garage, open the pocket door and there I am. My son and his friends used the hell out of it when they were in high school. They called it "The House of Pain". They made a placard in woodshop that I hung on the door (it's in my photos). It's my can cave, I guess.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I started SO basic. A stability ball was usually my bench--I figured it just added to my core work. I also had an olympic bar and a set of dumbbells that went up to 25lbs, plus a pair that were 35's. A few tubes, a chin-up bar and I got started. In fact, I used to do my step-ups from NROLFW using my coffee table!! It was the perfect height. And I totally made it work!!! :D
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

But used racks are not really that expensive. Heck, you can find a new one for $250 sometimes.

Thanks.

It's not just the money. I enjoy building stuff. I'd really like to build one out of steel tubing but it would be a ***** to keep everything square - I'm not the greatest at that stuff. I probably will end up just buying one but ......
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the terrific ideas! Love the wide range of gadgets and gear out there. I've been re-reading this and taking copious notes!
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bumping for later, great thread thanks everyone.
  • fitfunk
    Options
    Olympic barbell and bench with pairs of 45, 35, 25, 10, 5, and 2.5 pound plates.
    Saw horses in place of a squat rack

Oh...interesting idea to use the saw horses as squat rack. I'd never heard that before.
  • fitfunk
    Options
    That is awesome! Do you live in a gym lol? Rock on!
    Rack with multi-grip pull-up attachment and band attachments
    High/Low cable tower
    Glute Ham Bench
    600 lbs of iron plates
    300 lbs of bumper plates
    3 olympic bars
    swiss bar
    cambered squat bar
    multiple weight med balls
    multiple weight kettlebells
    hurdles
    prowler
    sled
    foam rollers and other massage implements
    a bunch of bands
    tractor tire
    sledge hammer
    battling rope
    heavy jump rope
    suspension training system

hmmm, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started building my home gym.
    So far:
    Power Rack
    300lb plates w/ holder
    7ft Olympic bar
    Bench
    Heavy Bag
    Various bands
    Whiteboard to post results/future workout numbers

More than sufficient now for doing Strong lifts 5x5. I will hopefully have to add more plates as my lifts get higher. Cost wasn't too bad. Got everything so far for under $600. Shop around online to find good pricing.

0822120006_zps34f0553c.jpg
  • fitfunk
    Options
    Fantastic - looks great. Doesn't seem to take up too much space either. Thanks for posting the photo!
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Those mats on the floor are 2'x2', so in total it only takes up 10'x8ft'. Not too bad a sacrifice of floor space!
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started SO basic. A stability ball was usually my bench--I figured it just added to my core work. I also had an olympic bar and a set of dumbbells that went up to 25lbs, plus a pair that were 35's. A few tubes, a chin-up bar and I got started. In fact, I used to do my step-ups from NROLFW using my coffee table!! It was the perfect height. And I totally made it work!!! :D

I find this very encouraging. I want to start lifting properly, but only have a cheap ball (bright pink, too... nice), a pull-up bar that hooks onto the doorframe and the promise of my boyfriend's old adjustable dumbbells, when he gets them back from someone he lent them to.
    I haven't the money to even buy myself secondhand weights at the moment, so reading that someone started out with only a little more than I have now is great.
  • stinkystinkykitty
    Options
    I recently started kettlebell lifting. I have an old yoga mat, and 2 kettlebells (8kg, 12kg). I only takes up space when I'm working out.So small and easy!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Picture of my home gym in my ticker. :smile:
  • brits111383
    Options
    bump