The case for morning workout

Options
Morning is the best time to exercise for me.

I run in the morning and feel great the whole day. I think I can say that I am “energized” for the day. It's a good time to think clearly, plan my day, and relax mentally.

Starting the morning with running, before other distractions can intrude, is my best fitness habit. It assures that something else won't crowd exercise out of my schedule. When my days get hectic, exercise is likely to take a back seat.

And for those who are less motivated, if you exercise in the morning, it helps you to stick with it.

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Glad that's working for you. I prefer after work in the early evening. Works for me best.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, thats not gonna happen. LOL I prefer to run at night and work out my aggravation from the day.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I *like* to work out in the morning, however for the less motivated, don't let that become your excuse for missing it altogether. "oh, I overslept, no time for workout" and then skip it. Everybody is different.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I keep hitting snooze!!! I need to learn to love morning workouts!! HELP!!!! 4:30 seems crazy early to me. :noway:
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    You wouldn't be a morning person would you? My heart doesn't even start till noon. If I could choose, I'd stay up till 1AM every night!
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Agreed - mornings are the best for workouts. I go to the gym and it's pretty empty then and I get my pick of machines. After work the gym is way too busy. And now I have lots of time in the evenings to spend with my family.

I also agree about the extra energy I have all day after a morning workout. I am known to sleep in as long as I can each morning, so my husband had been very surprized I'm getting up early and going to the gym.
  • breza262
    breza262 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. It's the only time that I have to myself, and I bike, so there aren't many cars on the road. PLUS, it does keep you energized throughout the day. If a day goes by when I don't get up early, I am sluggish and crabby most of the day. And it is easier to be accountable, since I can tell myself through the entire day that I'm gonna do something when I get home, but something always comes up that stops me from getting it done.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree, when I work out in the morning I feel a kind of buzz or higher energy for the rest of the day.

In reality though it's tough to get up and I end up working out in the evening after work.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    That's great if it works for you, I wish it worked for me but I've tried and it's not my thing. I don't have as much energy to give it my all and sometime I feel like I'm going to throw up. Also on the days I was able to get in morning exercise I was just felt hungrier all day so I've given up and will stick to my afternoon/evening workouts.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I SO wish I could get my tail up earlier so I could work out. I'm not a morning person and boy that snooze button takes a beating! :)
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    I really have yearned to be one of those people !! lol early morning risers that get excercise completed before most of the world gets their head off the pillow,.......but I just cannot get up and at it.

I promised myself that this week ,....starting Monday will be THEE week and I will commit to daily 30 minute workouts before grabbing my coffee ;-) wish me luck. They say it takes 21 days to make something a habit ?:yawn:
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! If i dont get up at 4am to get my run in it seems to get pushed aside. It totally wakes me up and makes me feel better though out the day .
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning exerciser, too. I could fit it in other times, but I'm more likely to exercise if there's nothing else (except sleep) that needs to be taken care of, too. With three boys, a full time job, and my own course-work - there is bound to be something more pressing later in my day. Plus, it feels great to accomplish something (anything) that early in my day - sets the tone, for sure.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Mornings are best for some, not so much for others..depends on what else they have going on. Personally, if I don't workout when I get up, it will not get done. At least I can admit this, and not pretend like i'm going to do it in the afternoon. I also like that at 4 or 5 am, everyone else is asleep, so it's all about me....i just feel sorry for my downstairs neightbors...they must really hate me, especially on plyo days
  • Rlopez913
    Rlopez913 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree. Mornings are best for me. It's hard for me to get up out of bed early to exercise, but once I get started on exercising it's not so bad. It makes me feel good for the rest of the day and if I were to wait until I got home from work I would never get it done.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Morning or evening.... as long as you make it a habit. Once it become part of your daily life, you will always find the time. :smile:
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not everybody is good for morning workouts. I'm not one who is energized from exercise, I just get tired and want to sit down. Maybe nap :) Evening workouts for me are best!

Sleep is just as important for fat loss, so waking up earlier than I would normally isn't necessarily beneficial either. But, yay for morning humans!
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I totally agree wih you. If I get up at 5:00 am and get it out of the way, I feel relieved and happy I did it. In most cases if I get bored or have extra energy at the end of the day I take a walk or jog, thats a bonus. There are no excuses with the workout completed in the AM! :O)

No one has ever said "I regret getting up for that wonderful workout."
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be a morning exerciser and for the most part it is when I do workout, not always though. Like you I find it a great way to start the day and I also find that I have less time to talk myself out of it if I just get it done and dusted! Though I am not sure if I burn more calories with an 18 month old clinging to one leg and should I get him to swap legs half way through to keep it balanced? :P eheheh
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    You wouldn't be a morning person would you? My heart doesn't even start till noon. If I could choose, I'd stay up till 1AM every night!

^^ THIS, always been a night owl although Im starting to toy with the idea that we can change ourselves, mind over matter so maybe I just need to stop telling myself Im a night owl and start referring to myself as the Early Bird !
    Yup, problem solved ( slinks away doubtful)