Do you feel thinner? Because I don't....

Options
I feel as fat now as I was when I was a lot heavier and I wondered if anyone else felt the same?

I know I am thinner, I know my clothes are smaller but I still feel really fat like I was....

Am I the only one?

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one. Many, if not most of us, have that feeling. It has been a recurrring thread on the forums.
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel thinner until I see a picture of myself. Then I say "ugh, still fat"
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I once lost close to 80 lbs (I'm working on doing that again), but I never felt thin. People would tell me how I looked so much better or that I was now thinner than so and so, and I just couldn't see it. Our minds play tricks on us. When we're really fat we often don't realize just how fat we are, and when we lose weight we also don't see how thin we've become. Mental games. lol. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to the idea of weighing less; that it takes our minds a little more time to catch up with the change in our bodies.
  • reddingaz
    reddingaz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling this a lot lately - Kinda weird actually. I've been at my current weight +/- for a couple of weeks now & now I'm "seeing" my body differently... Seems like just a couple of weeks ago all I could see was the progress & now when I see my reflection I have the same reaction to my body that I did 20lbs ago :(
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds and am the lightest I've been in my adult life and when I look in the mirror I still see a heavy person. It's sucks *kitten*, but I think that's just the way women are programmed.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think I will feel fat no matter what size I am. Pretty sure I'm obsessed. When I look in the mirror, I still see the fat me. Even though I know what size I am now, I still see the fat me. Boo.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Some days I do, some days I don't.

On my good days, I look in the mirror and see a normal sized woman who is on her way to having a fabulous body.

On my bad days, I still see a 230lb obese woman who is trying to hide her embarrasment.

I've been having more good days than bad, but I think it takes awhile to really see the new you everyday.

Congrats on your loss!!! That's an accomplishment!
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I feel thinner until I see a picture of myself. Then I say "ugh, still fat"

^^^AGREE WITH THIS HERE... sometimes I feel thinner depending on what I am wearing...but then again i can wear something that made me feel thin yesterday and two days later I somehow find myself thinking about how fat i am. lol SO FRUSTRATING SOMETIMES :noway: :mad:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I feel thinner, but it's only been recently that I've felt that way. One day I looked in the mirror and I could tell I was slimmer! It was a great feeling!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've lost 145 pounds and feel fatter than ever. I don't know how to help, but at least you're not alone. All the hugs to you. :( You're doing great, and I'm positive you look great too. Hopefully your mind catches up with your body soon.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I feel fat today, mostly because I went shopping and tried on the next size down. I wasn't ready for it yet, kind of a blow. I have to keep reminding myself of how far I have come, not how far I still have to go.
  • rininger85
    Options
    low self-esteem?? self-confidence? all I have to say is.... "I'm sexy and I know it!" *jumps on the counter and starts doing pelvic thrust / dancing around*
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 lbs lighter than I was 3 years ago yet I feel fat, the girl in the mirror looks fat, but in pictures I think I look pretty good. You aren't the only one. I don't know if it gets better or not.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This seems to be very common with women (no offense intended at all) and it drives you all crazy. My wife is struggling with weight again after some thyroid problems, new allergy to wheat, ruptured disc in her back, etc. She just saw a picture of herself after we lost weight doing Atkins years ago and said "....and to think I still thought I was fat back then at 135lbs....."

MenVsWomen.jpg
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I had been at the same weight for 10+years and about 5 years ago dropped 20 pounds and it took me forever to realize I reall was smaller I'd see people and think "I'm bigger than her." when in reality they were the same size I was I just could't see it. It took me the better part of a year to re-align the truth with my perception. Which is odd b/c I feel like all I want is to see myself as skinny and then when I actually am I don't see it (at least not right away).
  • louiesa55
    louiesa55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yes three years i lost a 100 pounds and still felt fat . gain 40 of that back and have lost 20 of that back but still fill fat
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I feel thinner but not 75 lbs thinner. Just a little bit. I look in the mirror and see all my problem areas. I never did that when i was 75 lbs heavier cuz i didnt care then. I think thats the difference, we are just more critical of ourselves.
  • weaverac1
    Options
    So funny I just was telling my husband this. I have to go buy new jeans tomorrow because they are falling off of me but I still don't see it. Everyone around me does but when I look in the mirror I see the same person that started dieting in May. It makes it hard sometimes to realize how much progress I/we have made.
  • MeccaLoves2Sleep
    MeccaLoves2Sleep Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree and am 100% with ya. Sad that we never feel good enough.. always seeing the worst (hips or chins or little dimples) even when we are killing ourselves at the gym, carving out time to concentrate on ourselves and balancing family/ career/ school.

BREAK THE CYCLE AND raise GIRLS (and boys) TO LOVE THEIR BODIES NO MATTER WHAT SIZE they are. Be the one influence that makes them happy to be themselves. Encourage a healthy body image.

“Even the models we see in magazines wish they could look like their own images.”
    ― Cheri K. Erdman.

“By choosing healthy over skinny you are choosing self-love over self-judgment. You are beautiful!”
    ― Steve Maraboli
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs and I still feel fat. I thought I would feel great after losing that weight, and I did at first. Now I'm not satisfied. Maybe a tummy tuck would solve that....;-)